VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

There is some Glastonbury chat happening in a different thread and for want of offending those with gossamer thickness skin by talking about music outside of music threads... 

I haven't been to Glastonbury for years. It is massive and I couldn't come even close to putting in a proper shift. What Glastonbury does afford you though is the opportunity to try acts that you wouldn't normally see, you certainly wouldn't pay money to see. Be that on the main stage or an hour's walk to a tiny tent to see a performance poet. 

I saw Johnny Cash at Glastonbury, I saw Squeeze, I saw Billy Bragg for the first time, Taj Mahal and The Senseless Things. I saw The Orb and took part in a world record juggling attempt. I bought a small cube of wood wrapped in cellophane. My most vivid memories of festivals, both good and bad are from Glastonbury. I saw Tom Jones the first time he played and Rolf. I would like to go back but with half the crowd and my own personal golf cart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I saw The Orb and took part in a world record juggling attempt.

Simultaneously?  I mean, Huge Ever Growing Brain is a chillout masterpiece, but I don't think anything could relax me that much.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Be that on the main stage or an hour's walk to a tiny tent to see a performance poet. 

Well, I've never been to Glasto. In fact I've never been to any festival other than 'one dayers'. No desire to. Much like the way I love pubs and beer, but I have zero interest in beer festivals. Not my idea of fun. 

Anyway, you've successfully conveyed the scale of it with the above quote. I'd assumed the longest walk between stages would be about ten minutes, maybe fifteen to allow for getting through crowds. But an hour???  **** me. You're welcome to that. 

Edited by mjmooney

Just now, mjmooney said:

Well, I've never been to Glasto. In fact I've never been to any festival other than 'one dayers'. No desire to. Much like the way I love pubs and beer, but I have zero interest in beer festivals. Not my idea of fun. 

Anyway, you've successfully conveyed the scale of it with the above quote. I'd assumed the longest walk between stages would be about ten minutes, maybe fifteen to allow for getting through crowds. But an hour???  **** me. You're welcome to that. 

I would say the "stages" furthest apart would take an hour to walk between, and thats with the going good to firm. I havent been in years but when I last went you were looking at 30 minutes ish between the main stage and the second stage. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I bought a small cube of wood wrapped in cellophane. 

I think it was Bug Jam, in the early 90’s. I bought a large garden candle in a wicker holder.

Won’t describe the state I was in when I bought it, but I did genuinely believe I’d bought a really big spliff.

• Like 1

I thought Texas were really good. They came to my college in Hall Green circa 1989.

Never thought 34 years later they would be rocking The Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. 

Can't believe @mjmooney has no interest in beer festivals, they are ace. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I thought Texas were really good. They came to my college in Hall Green circa 1989.

Never thought 34 years later they would be rocking The Pyramid stage at Glastonbury. 

No, I don't think anyone would. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

So, Foo Fighters (the worst kept secret mystery band ever) to blow the Arctic Monkeys offstage tonight?

images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-S1y-Zirdk-Gv-Zb-Hs-

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Nope. I want to sit down in a comfy corner of a nice quiet pub with a few good friends. Ideally with a choice of no more than three or four draught ales. Of which I will probably choose one of 3.8% - 4.2% abv, and stick to it. Three or four pints, rarely more. 

No interest in walking from one trestle table to another, 'sampling' one weird, probably over strong oddball beer after another, and end up feeling like shite. 

EDIT: Yeah, I know, old codger. But I would have said exactly the same in my 20s. 

Edited by mjmooney

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Arctic Monkeys have way to many slow tempo arty songs now. 

Would have much preferred to see their previous sets to this one. 

I listened to a bit on the radio in the car, dullsville

Yeah, I didn’t have time for that, I’m sure Arctic Monkeys are lovely chaps but elsewhere Hot Chip were on another stage and they were very listenable.

I’d have been too angry and devout once upon a time to give clever music like Hot Chip a chance. I mellowed, and danced.

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I didn’t have time for that, I’m sure Arctic Monkeys are lovely chaps but elsewhere Hot Chip were on another stage and they were very listenable.

I’d have been too angry and devout once upon a time to give clever music like Hot Chip a chance. I mellowed, and danced.

Hot Chip are good

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â