VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

So having had a bit of time to mull it over, First Two Pages of Frankenstein.

Broadly, I like it. It’s basically somewhere between their previous two albums but maybe with fewer notable high points. It’s never going to be in the running for my favourite of theirs and other than a few Taylor Swift fans, I doubt it will win them any new devotees.

I think the first half is stronger than the second. Everything up to and including Tropic Morning News I really like. After that it’s a bit more hit and miss.

A quick mention for The Alcott. I don’t mind it, from having a look around there has been some backlash towards it (likely because of the guest spot by Taylor Swift - a bit more of a backlash than I had anticipated I have to admit). I think it’s a bit unwarranted, although compared to the guests spots elsewhere from Surfjan Stevens and Phoebe Bridgers, Swift is waaaaay more prominent. Maybe that’s to be expected but I kinda feel like the song with it being more of a duet might have been better suited on the previous album with its abundance of female vocalists taking the lead.

I saw these cats a few months ago in Brooklyn -- here's my phone video of one of their more laid-back songs from the show -- but I'm still surprised at just how amazing this show was.  Ira Kaplan is something like 65 years old and he played the **** out of his guitars. They were SO LOUD. It was shocking. Haven't heard a band that thunderously loud since seeing Ride in the early 1990s. I think they just finished some dates in Blighty.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Latest YLT album is brilliant, definitely on my list of bands I want to see after watching that

I need to get that! A friend of mine had a ticket and I went mostly to hang out with him, but I ended up re-evaluating my thinking about Ira Kaplan as an artist. He's kind of a genius.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 19:19, sidcow said:

I much prefer the latest Gorillaz track to the new Blur one. 

Changed my mind. The Narcissist has really grown on me. 

A trip to Preston is in the pipeline. Which means a trip to Action Records, where I once visited, asked for something which he claimed to have but couldn’t find and in the process of searching, he found two things he didn’t know he had, which I bought instead.

That’s my kinda place.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A trip to Preston is in the pipeline. Which means a trip to Action Records, where I once visited, asked for something which he claimed to have but couldn’t find and in the process of searching, he found two things he didn’t know he had, which I bought instead.

That’s my kinda place.

Oh good luck, just remember Gordon crams as many records as humanly possible into every rack and files solo artists alphabetically by their first name. Yes, Lee Perry will be under L

I'm convinced he'd sell more if people could actually find things

• Like 1

Drive by Truckers have remastered their best album The Dirty South

I don't have a problem with that but they have also re-recorded the vocals on several of the tracks (including Putting People on the Moon) I haven't listened to them yet, I wanna listen to the album in full and see how jarring it is, Patterson Hoods vocals have completely changed in the 20 odd years since the album was released so hearing how it stands up now will be interesting.

Seems like they've gone to a lot of hard work for nothing though because this was DBT's at their peak especially with Jason Isbell being part of the band. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Oh good luck, just remember Gordon crams as many records as humanly possible into every rack and files solo artists alphabetically by their first name. Yes, Lee Perry will be under L

You know what, I think that was my criticism last time, it was rammed beyond being able to actually browse, plus (from memory) random genre categories. 

But he had two Llwybr Llaethog CD’s so he got forgiven a lot of sins.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You know what, I think that was my criticism last time, it was rammed beyond being able to actually browse, plus (from memory) random genre categories. 

But he had two Llwybr Llaethog CD’s so he got forgiven a lot of sins.

Oh yes you’ll definitely find stuff in there that no other shop has had in stock for years. I found a Snapped Ankles RSD EP that was three years old that I’d seen nowhere else ever

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Does he put 12" singles and EPs in with LPs?

That's my current pet peeve when record shopping, sifting through hundreds of guff singles by people I've never heard of, it's obviously all about finding that gem but it makes me lose concentration and start skipping

Just seen watching The Isle of Wight festival. I feel I should know The Courteeners music but I really don't. 

They are extremely dull. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Does he put 12" singles and EPs in with LPs?

That's my current pet peeve when record shopping, sifting through hundreds of guff singles by people I've never heard of, it's obviously all about finding that gem but it makes me lose concentration and start skipping

Yes Action Records does that, so does Probe but Probe really doesn’t stock too many and they new tend to get moved into the sections because they get sold from the new release sections and it’s not too much of an ordeal in there. There is one shop in Liverpool, Jacaranda Phase Oneb that has a DREADFUL ordering policy and shop stocking policy, not only do they massively over order some absolute shite but they put every single record they have in the racks. 6 copies of Altered Images Greatest Hits in A -G and not even all together because having the records actually going up alphabetically together is obviously too hard. On top of that they'll have so many sections for different genres and are a bit clueless as to what records belong where. OMD, that'll be in…? …? Ah 80s Alternative…. Nope Liverpool bands maybe…..? Nope Post-punk maybe…? Nah, give up I'll ask…. Girl goes “Oh I know where that'll be. I follow… Erm no it’s not there, there or there…. Hmmm ok let’s try…. Electronica. Ah there it is….Ah Ok thanks…..

Then there’s the new release sections. This weeks, this months, last months, the month before, the month before that….. It takes about 6 months before they get moved to another section which half he time won’t be where it should be

So the upshot of this is that you can’t just go to the counter and ask for a record because it'll be in the shop….SOMEWHERE but f*** knows where

Stick to New Releases, General, Reggae, Jazz, Dance and Soundtracks Job Done (unless they sell classical as well I guess). Oh and in General have a section for nearly every letter of the alphabet and keep on top of the order buy wandering round the shop and checking every so often though in my experience most vinyl enthusiasts are fairly anal about putting things back in the right place anyway.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just seen watching The Isle of Wight festival. I feel I should know The Courteeners music but I really don't. 

They are extremely dull. 

Dreadful. But huge audiences

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Dreadful. But huge audiences

They're shite, still dining out on the first album and more than anything because they're a Manchester band and the city is desperate for a scene but same as all music there's no decent new band to all juno on, the lad culture that follows them (and Liam and to a lesser extent the dmas) aren't going to the 1975, there's no one out there for them so those bands still have a huge following

Edit - radio x et al try and give them a huge push but the mancs never moved on to blossoms... Because they're shit as well

And see also Sam Fender, he's OK, nothing more but he's pulling in huge numbers because there's so little else

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â