VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Having a Kinks evening again.

If you could only have 1 song, the one you rescue from the waves, bloody hell it would have to be good to be better than Lola.

The descending bass line that opens 'Waterloo Sunset' has a claim on The Best Intro Of All Time. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The descending bass line that opens 'Waterloo Sunset' has a claim on The Best Intro Of All Time. 

It's nifty. Thread idea, too.

Hmmm new Sparks album is out, but its over £30.

Well that ain’t happening. The last three brand new albums I’ve bought have all been under £20 and one a few weeks ago was £14.99 and I would have imagined Sparks to have marginally more volumes of scale / purchasing power / existing logistics to piggy back than local boys ‘Sock’.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmmm new Sparks album is out, but its over £30.

Well that ain’t happening. The last three brand new albums I’ve bought have all been under £20 and one a few weeks ago was £14.99 and I would have imagined Sparks to have marginally more volumes of scale / purchasing power / existing logistics to piggy back than local boys ‘Sock’.

Major Label though innit, all about the money and the band will have little say in the matter if at all. Absolutely clear on RSD that majors were trying to push the price point much higher and others were either forced into going along with it or just went along with it.

• Like 1

@chrisp65,You seen this? SOul Jazz  documentary on Studio One. Released in 2002, only 2 years before Clement Dodd passed away (he looks in the prime of his life in this). A lot of the people featured passed away in the next few years

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Duffy's Son has given a statement to the coroner looking into Martin's death. Primal Scream, Innes and Gillespie don't come out of it too well, but the entire thing is worth a read.

http://www.dafts.co.uk/louieduffystatement.pdf

My Dad, Martin Duffy, was born and grew up in Birmingham and although living in London and then Hove for most of his life, was a very proud Brummie. He was a passionate and life-long supporter of Aston Villa football club. Some of my earliest and happiest memories are going to matches together, which we did right up to his death.

After joining the band, Dad had started out as an equal member of Primal Scream but he was gradually cut out from getting any songwriting credits, then touring and merchandise profits, eventually just being paid per gig. My Dad was so much more to the band than just a session man, his keyboards were an integral part of their sound on every album and he had always been a spokesperson, doing countless press interviews for the band over the years. When I say ‘the band’, I mean Bobby Gillespie and Andrew Innes; everyone else in the band joined years later, don’t make the decisions and are also employed as session musicians

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I saw the start of this story yesterday and I started a conversation (elsewhere!!!) about exactly how far are you prepared to go with the behaviour of bands you like.

I quite like Primal Scream, I’ve got quite a few albums, I’ve seen them live once. But to be honest, I like them, I’m not invested in them. So the fact that if this is all there is to the story and it turns out Gillespie is a bit of a cow, well, I can live with that. Screamadelica will still be great.

But clearly there is a line, somewhere. It’s where that line is and whether you were massively invested in a band or just liked their stuff when it wafted past you.

What sin would Gillespie need to be guilty of for the records to be discreetly moved out of the collection? Something pretty serious to be honest.

Same with Wayne Coyne, Flaming Lips, I like the music but I’m not invested in the bloke being a great guy.

See also Nick Cave attending a coronation.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I saw the start of this story yesterday and I started a conversation (elsewhere!!!) about exactly how far are you prepared to go with the behaviour of bands you like.

I quite like Primal Scream, I’ve got quite a few albums, I’ve seen them live once. But to be honest, I like them, I’m not invested in them. So the fact that if this is all there is to the story and it turns out Gillespie is a bit of a cow, well, I can live with that. Screamadelica will still be great.

But clearly there is a line, somewhere. It’s where that line is and whether you were massively invested in a band or just liked their stuff when it wafted past you.

What sin would Gillespie need to be guilty of for the records to be discreetly moved out of the collection? Something pretty serious to be honest.

Same with Wayne Coyne, Flaming Lips, I like the music but I’m not invested in the bloke being a great guy.

See also Nick Cave attending a coronation.

I agree on all of your points there, add Thurston Moore to that list as well. Their crimes arent massively heinous but more morally different to me and my values. Its not even about seperating art from the artist, ala Morrissey. I am not the wronged party in the case of Coyne, Gillespie and Moore and I am not looking for them to be my mates, I can therefore live with how they act. 

• Like 1

A similar thing happened with Pete de Freitas, he was effectively dropped from the Bunnymen but was retained as a session musician and put on a retainer (which is something Primal Scream didn’t do) with the full intention of bringing him back fully if he sorted his act out. Sadly his life ended before that happened (motorbike accident)

Its also worth bearing in mind that as much as the statement says it was Gillespie and Innes, there will be management in the background loading the bullets for them to fire.

16 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It may have changed but I think Ronnie Wood is essentially employed as a session musician. That was the view I got from his autobiography. 

Yep, the Stones are really just Jagger / Richards. The others get paid bloody well but not the percentages

• Like 1

Metallica haven't put a decent album out since the black album. Hammet's not great live. They are one of the few bands still around who have albums I'd say are genre defining classics, puppets is a masterpiece, yet I've never wanted to see live. They unveiled themselves as corporate whores long ago though. A VIP mosh pit sounds about right.

I have seen Metallica around 5 times, they have been at festivals I have attended so I have never intentionally sought them out. That said I do love 4 horsemen and MOP so like them when they get played but them as individuals they seem fairly dickish. 

They are a good stadium band, never a bad gig. You get a set menu of songs including all the anthems with about 5 changes throughout a tour. Predictable and a bit boring if you've seen them before. Their "snake pit" has been there since the early 90s.

That said, having a pit in a festival sounds like a spectacularly stupid idea.

Are we sure it’s Metallica’s decision and not the promoters?

I’m guessing as it’s a festival this is far more the promotors decision than the bands. It’s them that usually sell the Gold Circle VIP you paid extra bucks to get in here to look like a word removed but you’ll feel special tickets.

But being as Metallica have always been far more about the money than the art I guess it could be them too

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â