VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

The new The National album is... Ok. It's got a couple of (very) good tracks but otherwise it's just them doing their thing but with a bunch of collabs with their mates and upping the electronic element a bit. It's perfectly listenable but there's not much exciting about it, and there's only a couple of tracks I can see going into my top rated playlist.

Some of it really feels a bit rote. I feel a bit like they've done their time as a band sadly, said all they can say. They all are off doing stuff with other artists in different capacities and I really wouldn't be shocked if they split in a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Its actually three (just by 2 and a bit weeks!) :P

Another way of saying it is that it is their best album since High Violet

From the tracks I've heard I'm likely to agree with that line. The trhee tracks I've heard are definitely on a par with HV

Ha fair enough. I suppose if I was writing the line and that’s the sentiment I wanted to convey, to remove any doubt I’d say best album in over a decade. 

I’m personally more partial towards Trouble Will Find Me than High Violet, but I know that HV is a bit more revered.

This old fella is 90 today, releases 2 to 3 albums a year and on average every other one is excellent. Love this guy almost as much as just about anyone. Happy birthday Willie. 

• Like 1

Bought an album today, a new album of new material by a band with instruments not one bloke with a laptop. Not picking 10 tracks from an existing back catalogue. It’s vinyl, it’s been recorded, mixed, published and there’s album sleeve artwork, everything you’d expect. No freebies, nothing flashy, a standard album release. £14.99

I will say, they have spent approximately zero on publicity or promotion. They are about as under the radar as its possible to get. If each of their twitter followers buys 3 copies of the vinyl, then all 600 copies will sell out.

But if they can do it for £14.99 why can’t bands that are going to shift tens of thousands of units?

• Like 3

I’d hazard a guess money ?  

It’s like these multi millionaire musicians who really don’t need the money. Why charge what they charge for concert tickets?  Greed! 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

There is a documentary on Fanny next Friday on BBC4. Fanny are a band that I never hear spoken about outside of the four virtual walls of VT but I know it will be of interest to one or two of us. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There is a documentary on Fanny next Friday on BBC4. Fanny are a band that I never hear spoken about outside of the four virtual walls of VT but I know it will be of interest to one or two of us. 

I was going to mention it later in the week, but yeah, Friday night on BBC4, although it’s been around other places a few months… and as for some not knowing of someone other than via VT, the clip below includes… Bonnie Raitt. Truly a night for the VT wilful obscurist.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seat68 said:

They did a good version of the Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield ) number "Special Care". Only really remember this 'cos one line up of the band I was in did it. (probably not as well as they did :) )

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â