VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

I don't know Chadds offhand, but that sounds like it. The Worcester shop was in a similar situ with a little courtyard in the Hop Market.

Chadds was the old department store at the top of commercial street.

Just checked on the line and there is a vinyl seller in Hereford - Temple Records.

Nice story on Facebook from guitarist Adrian Belew: 

In 1978 I did my first tour of Europe as "stunt" guitarist and singer for Frank Zappa's band. The night we played in Cologne, Germany unbeknownst to me Brian Eno was in the audience. Brian knew David Bowie was looking for a new guitarist for his upcoming tour. He called David after seeing our show and told David he should come see the guitarist for Frank's band. 

The next night we performed in Berlin. There was a part of the show where Frank took an extended guitar solo and most of the band members, including myself, left the stage for a few minutes. As I walked to the back of the stage I looked over at the monitor mixing board and saw David Bowie and Iggy Pop standing there. 
Wow! I couldn't believe it! 

So I walked over to David Bowie, shook his hand and said, "I love what you've done, thank you for all the music". And he said, "Great, how would you like to be in my band?" I motioned back towards Frank and said, "Well, I'm kind of playing with that guy." David laughed and said, "Yes, I know, but when Frank's tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?"

David said he would meet me back at our hotel and sure enough when I arrived back at the hotel David Bowie and his assistant Coco Schwab were sitting on a couch in the lobby. As I walked past them they whispered to me, "Get into the elevator, go up to your room, come back down in a few minutes, and meet us outside. We have a car waiting." 
It was like something out of a spy film. 

When I came back down and went outside there was a black limousine waiting. The driver opened the door and I got in the back with David and Coco. David immediately launched into all this plans for his upcoming tour, the songs we would play, the staging, and so on, and how much he loved my guitar playing! It was so exciting! He said they were taking me to one of his favorite restaurants in Berlin. 

How many restaurants are there in Berlin? 25,000?

We arrived at the restaurant, went in the front door, and who should be sitting at the very first table but Frank Zappa and the rest of the band! So the three of us sat down with Frank and the band. David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, "Quite a guitar player you have here Frank."  
And Frank said, "F••• you Captain Tom." 
(note: Frank had demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.) 
David persisted, "Oh come on now Frank, surely we can be gentleman about this?" 
Frank said, "F••• you Captain Tom." 
By this point I was paralyzed. David said, "So you really have nothing to say?" Frank said,  "F••• you Captain Tom." 

David and Coco and I got up and went back out the front door. Getting in the limo David said in his wonderfully British way, "I thought that went rather well!"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So got up early, did some domestic tasks and decided to go into town on the train (far cheaper than parking). At the train station is my mate Bob on his way to open Probe, where I was heading anyway.

I’m now working the door on RSD explaining to people why Probe isn’t doing RSD :D 

This wasn’t in the non-plan for the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the perfect example of why Probe is no longer doing RSD

Today I bought this

Primary

Soul Jazz double album compilation released 24th March 2023 - price £26.99. First time it has been released so whilst there are no recording costs as such, there will be mastering, licensing and artwork costs

I also bought this (not in Probe) an RSD release

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Double album, absolutely no mastering or licensing or artwork to do as its a repress but it's on coloured vinyl (Woo!). Coloured vinyl costs no more than black because even the black has to be added, vinyl is clear in its native form, they are only black because of the hardening agent used... so... £34.99 which was the RSD recommended price. Thats an £8 hike on lower costs JUST because its RSD

And it wasn't THAT long ago that Soul Jazz double compilations retailed at £19.99. I get the increased prices because Ukraine / Brexit etc but an £8 hike because its RSD is exactly why Probe aren't doing it this year.

I'm not blaming Soul Jazz either because its RSD and the major labels that are setting the prices. They really are just trying to force the product price up for no good reason

• Like 1

Talking of RSD madness (as I was in the album topic). The Cure re-released The Show, A live double album as a "limited edition" (of 10,000) picture disk.

If I remember correctly it was priced at £39.99. I could have bought this in at least two shops yesterday and I wasn't at the front of any queue, I was hours after the nonsense

So... it's just a reissue of something that is out there in the hundreds of thousands, there are now 71 different versions including CDs and downloads. It's a live album (meh) and its a picture disk (double meh). Picture disks are technically not vinyl and due to the way they are made have much thinner grooves than a standard vinyl release, let alone a 180g "audiophile" release (another nonsense but hey ho) so the sound quality is generally worse than a standard release. It was last released on vinyl a whole 2 years ago in 2021

You won't find one on Discogs at much less than £70 plus shipping, anywhere in the world

The people buying this are insane

I'm waiting for an email from a local online only seller, the shops within 100km of me didn't have what I wanted

Want ocean Colour scene never released before b-sides album, foals remix album (which I'll hate but I've got everything else they've released) and a Nas live album

Got no problem with those 3 at RSD releases

Just now, villa4europe said:

foals remix album

I could definitely have bought that for you yesterday. I vaguely considered it myself, I picked it up because it had Dub in the title. Considering it was  probably 11:30 by then, it was hardly flying out as the shop had been open since 8

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm a huge foals fan with absolutely no interest in it - a dub remix of an album which wasn't very good - but the completionist in me needs it

Completism is a disease. But, like covid-19, there are several variants, and it can mutate. 

I have the version of Bob Dylan completism that just needs all the actual music, on CD only. Although there are still plenty of expensive rarities that I don't have, and I try not to think about. 

Don't want vinyl, don't want multiple identical copies of the same recordings just because the cover art is different in the Venezuelan pressing, that sort of thing. And I don't collect live bootlegs. I have a few, but there are literally hundreds of digitally downloadable gig recordings out there. 

Of course, when I'm dead, my kids will give it all to a charity shop, or just chuck in in a skip. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Couldn't get the RSD ocean Colour scene b sides vinyl so bought an OCS box set instead for 3x the price

The wife will understand that right? 😬

Surely you've mastered the basic smuggling techniques by now? 

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Couldn't get the RSD ocean Colour scene b sides vinyl...

There are scalping and non scalping sellers on the web for that.

Are you deliberately hanging on for a better price?

12 minutes ago, Xann said:

There are scalping and non scalping sellers on the web for that.

Are you deliberately hanging on for a better price?

Nah I'll chance it in the RSD boxes next time I make it to a store while also keeping an eye out for it online, it's the first time OCS have done a RSD release here, normally they're just on the UK list

definitley not a fan of RSD resellers 

It goes on the list with Nas illmatic live and the streets original pirate material from last year 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nah I'll chance it in the RSD boxes next time I make it to a store while also keeping an eye out for it online, it's the first time OCS have done a RSD release here, normally they're just on the UK list.

Rough Trade has it online here,  maybe check the websites of the German sellers? https://www.recordstoredaygermany.de/teilnehmende-shops/

Otherwise you could hang on and hope the scalpers lose patience and cut prices. There are loads listed, you could be in luck?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nah I'll chance it in the RSD boxes next time I make it to a store while also keeping an eye out for it online, it's the first time OCS have done a RSD release here, normally they're just on the UK list

definitley not a fan of RSD resellers 

It goes on the list with Nas illmatic live and the streets original pirate material from last year 

could have bought Foals again today, I went back to the same shop, they still had it

https://www.discogs.com/seller/Jacaranda_Records/profile?q=foals

I don't think they've listed this years RSD releases online yet because they haven't got fat freddys drop on there and they have at least 10 copies of that bollocks left. Send them a DM

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

could have bought Foals again today, I went back to the same shop, they still had it

https://www.discogs.com/seller/Jacaranda_Records/profile?q=foals

I don't think they've listed this years RSD releases online yet because they haven't got fat freddys drop on there and they have at least 10 copies of that bollocks left. Send them a DM

Cheers but I've managed to get foals and Nas from the online seller in the next village over, he's got blur and Travis which I might go back for next month and keep an eye out for OCS, failing that I'll end up in cologne in the summer and at least one of them is pretty good (usually has the Joe Strummer release kicking around as well as last year I picked up the small axe soundtrack which is brilliant)

Also brexit means brexit... £30 import duty per item non refundable as I found out last week when I went clothes shopping on a UK website

• Sad 1

Ed Sheeran in a Manhattan courtroom today defending himself against a law suit by Marvin Gaye's estate for ripping off "Let's Get It On". 

It's interesting how chord progression and tempo and instrumentation etc are adjudicated.

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ed Sheeran in a Manhattan courtroom today defending himself against a law suit by Marvin Gaye's estate for ripping off "Let's Get It On". 

It's interesting how chord progression and tempo and instrumentation etc are adjudicated.

Also interesting how Marvin gayes estate go after everyone and don't let anyone touch his music... But let kendrick lamar sample him

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â