VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I set myself a little challenge at the start of the year of buying something local on vinyl every month. I didn’t really define what local meant and the first few were truly within 10 miles, last month it stretched to include Swansea which is 40 miles away. My game, my rules! But I didn’t really know if it would be possible. Turns out, I’m having to be selective or it would cost too much. So I’ve actually got to like it too, I can’t go buying some dodgy goth metal from Newport and claiming a win. So with very little need to explore too much, and avoiding genres I’m not really that in to it’s so far looking entirely possible that I can buy new music by a local bod or band, on vinyl, every month.

Which made me wonder, would that be a viable challenge in every area? I’d guess it would be easiest in London, I’d presume that if you counted ‘the midlands’ as a local area that would also be fairly straightforward? Scotland if that was taken as a whole would be a vast space and a good few million people so I’d presume that would also be easy enough. So where are the deserts? Would I struggle to complete the challenge if I lived in Bournemouth, Newcastle, Cambridge? Where are the hotspots, is Manchester going to claim to be over represented? Liverpool?  

• Like 2

Not a chance for me, over the border in Shropshire it has the worst local band Oasis inspired shite known to man, that they all want to emulate. Stoke is Stoke and aside from some reasonable Punk bands, its a wasteland. This is without mentioning music that I would actually buy. Take this nonsense, these are a Telford band and if this is the best that town can offer, there is no hope.

Jesus H. **** Christ, I listened to a whole minute of that through morbid curiosity and I'm fairly certain I now have all the cancers.

Absolute state of that compilation supporting mental health issues.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Jesus H. **** Christ, I listened to a whole minute of that through morbid curiosity and I'm fairly certain I now have all the cancers.

Absolute state of that compilation supporting mental health issues.

Oh, blimey. Then, erm? What about this?

https://roygriffiths.bandcamp.com/album/a-shropshire-connection

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xann said:

Oh, blimey. Then, erm? What about this?

https://roygriffiths.bandcamp.com/album/a-shropshire-connection

To be fair, my outrage is singularly focused on the song that @Seat68 posted (and said act's appearance on that compilation).  In the interest of balance, I will give the entirety of "this is Shropshire" a proper go later, I guess it's not fair to tarnish them all with that brush.  I wouldn't want to jump to any unfair conclusions about Shropshire now (at least beyond pre-existing judgements formed from having visited in-laws in Clunton over the years).

I've not listened to that Roy Griffiths chap yet either, but I tell you what; it's hard not to root for a fella sporting this strong a look.

0020702661_10.jpg

Cultural boycotts work, history tells us this.

So until every musician in Shropshire apologises to the nation for T'Pau a boycott should be in place

The ears of the nation should never have to suffer such sonic distress ever again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

So until every musician in Shropshire apologises to the nation for T'Pau

I feel like this might be pushing too far.

Jake gyllenhaal actor handsome GIF on GIFER - by Blackcaster

Please don't ban me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Cultural boycotts work, history tells us this.

So until every musician in Shropshire apologises to the nation for T'Pau a boycott should be in place

The ears of the nation should never have to suffer such sonic distress ever again

The most obnoxious colleague I ever had had the displeasure of working with was a big fan of T'Pau. Says it all. 

• Like 1

We had the keyboard player from T'Pau come to Kiddy College as a guest speaker in the Popular Music Business class.

He was good actually. He explained how record companies went about splitting bands up to make something more fitting to their desired model.

In T'Pau's case an attempt was made to prise Decker and Rogers (the face and the songwriter) away from the rest of the band.

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

There used to be a great little shop in Hereford that's long gone.

Phoenix? 

That was run by Marilyn who was at Magpie in Worcester previously.

She'll be an old lady now.

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Can't remember what it was called but it was a little shop tucked behind some others (Behind Chadds) that had a little courtyard space. Tiny little shop.

I don't know Chadds offhand, but that sounds like it. The Worcester shop was in a similar situ with a little courtyard in the Hop Market.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â