VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Will Taylor Swifts music still be played widely in 30, 40, 50 years time? I am pretty certain the answer is no. 

Her first single came out around 17 years ago. I heard it on the radio this week. She is amongst if not THE biggest artist in the world today. Some of the weakest artists and lesser known artists of 30, 40 or 50 years ago get played on radio. She isn’t Gary Glitter she isn’t going to be boycotted and she does have songs that have longevity. She is barely getting started, she is under 35 and outside of her own work has written for Rihanna, Little Big Town, The Civil Wars and Miley Cyrus. If you don’t see her ability, that’s fine but saying in the future she won’t be played widely, I think that’s just wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

It is subjective as you say, I rate her highly, very highly but appreciate others don’t. Some because it’s pop music which immediately gets downgraded but others because they don’t see it. That’s not a bad thing and that’s why there is love by some of us of Nick Cave, that some can’t stand hip hop and others haven’t heard of Bonnie Raitt, music is very subjective. There isn’t a measurable right or wrong. 

Agreed in general. I’m just a bit surprised by “the greatest songwriter of a generation”. She’s good, though not mostly my cup of tea. Adele who was also mentioned is, for example, I’d say perhaps better (and her stuff is also mostly not my cup of tea). Beyoncé is another one mentioned, perhaps better. And that’s just mega, female artists of the same generation. Billie Eilish another headliner who is a massively rated female writer. You could make a very strong case for Alex Turner, for absolutely loads of choices to be honest from just the “big” artists. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Agreed in general. I’m just a bit surprised by “the greatest songwriter of a generation”. She’s good, though not mostly my cup of tea. Adele who was also mentioned is, for example, I’d say perhaps better (and her stuff is also mostly not my cup of tea). Beyoncé is another one mentioned, perhaps better. And that’s just mega, female artists of the same generation. Billie Eilish another headliner who is a massively rated female writer. You could make a very strong case for Alex Turner, for absolutely loads of choices to be honest from just the “big” artists. 

I know and as much as I love her writing I love other songwriters from the country sphere more, Natalie Hemby is the one that immediately springs to mind, not a recognisable name, but for me, in my world the person who writes songs that I think is a phenomenal talent. She is almost completely known as a songwriter though so goes under even country music fans radars. 

56 minutes ago, blandy said:

Have to consider the volume of her output as well as the quality and consistency, not to mention varying styles.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You won't be surprised to know I can't name a song by Taylor Swift.

Even though we've had a few TS conversations on here and at least one very recently, I still can't name a single song either.

I've even sold the one record I knowingly owned that featured her (not because she was was on it, it was just terminally dull)

She should be stopped from shamelessly exploiting vulnerable teenagers and blocking the limited number of pressing plants there are worldwide with her albums inspired by Heinz. When I was in RTE in that London, I noticed TS albums and they had stickers on saying something along the lines of... "Released in 8 different limited edition colours, each with their own special insert - Collect them all." - Thats the best part of £200 to be spent on ONE ALbum and to only end up with 8 copies of the same music that they stick on a Crossly once and ruin it. It seriously is exploitation

• Like 1

I’ve bought 10 albums so far this year (well done me).

All of them are European, nothing from the U.S.. There’s all sorts in there, instrumental, male vocal, female harpist, jazz, pop. But nothing from the U.S.

Are they not hot? Or am I not hot?

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve bought 10 albums so far this year (well done me).

All of them are European, nothing from the U.S.. There’s all sorts in there, instrumental, male vocal, female harpist, jazz, pop. But nothing from the U.S.

Are they not hot? Or am I not hot?

Cross section from me, mainly US but the older stuff has been UK. Lots of McCartney, some might say too much McCartney. The new stuff this year has been exclusively US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You could start a war over something like mariachi harp music.

Other half fretting about the snow on the road was not overly receptive to it. I’ll try again after tea.

There’s some pretty strident types pulling the strings in the mariachi community.

On 04/03/2023 at 16:12, Genie said:

Will Taylor Swifts music still be played widely in 30, 40, 50 years time? I am pretty certain the answer is no. 

Curious what makes you so certain about this?  She's arguably the biggest musical artist in the World and is only 33.

Her music will be around for a long, long time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xann said:

The default setting.

My daughter plays harp, but her teacher is male and the person we bought her pedal harp from is male.   The data from my admittedly limited sample size are at odds with your observation.   I'm going to look for some mariachi music for her to play now....

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â