VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

40 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I mean, no.

Sinead O’Connor headlined in 1990. They had Joan Baez, Peter Gabriel, Weather Report back in the 70s /80s.

It’s always been eclectic. It’s a performing arts festival, not a music festival.

The idea that it’s always been a Mecca for plodding guitar lad bands is a coked up fantasy pushed by Noel Gallagher, but it’s never been true.

Yeah I agree with that but then at the same time I think of the headliner as someone who outside of festival season is doing Wembley and stadium tours etc and guess who that is... And then that's even before you look at the timing, who has new material out, who is actually available, it would have been Taylor swift but she's busy

My problem with the backlash is that it implies that these are the headliners through choice rather than circumstance

And even then after that I still think thr only strange headliner is guns and roses, Elton on his forever lasting last world tour, AM with new material and a global stadium tour are there on merit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I always assumed Taylor Swift was an act for young teenage girls. A festival headliner? **** I'm out of touch :D 

That's like when somebody told me that Ed Sheeran wasn't at the 'third on the bill in the Glasto acoustic tent' level, but was selling out Wembley Stadium. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

That's like when somebody told me that Ed Sheeran wasn't at the 'third on the bill in the Glasto acoustic tent' level, but was selling out Wembley Stadium. 

Well, to be fair, I'm not saying "she's shit, why would she headline", I'll fully accept that I'm the one out of touch with popular opinion. I checked out a couple of her songs after posting, and honestly I'd rather sit in silence. Not for me. Same for Sheeran. they must be doing something right, because they're getting far bigger crowds than my favourite acts at Bloodstock :) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, to be fair, I'm not saying "she's shit, why would she headline", I'll fully accept that I'm the one out of touch with popular opinion. I checked out a couple of her songs after posting, and honestly I'd rather sit in silence. Not for me. Same for Sheeran. they must be doing something right, because they're getting far bigger crowds than my favourite acts at Bloodstock :) 

I've never understood why gingerbollox Sheeran is so popular. He's just a strange looking bloke with a guitar who plays boring chart friendly pap. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I've never understood why gingerbollox Sheeran is so popular. He's just a strange looking bloke with a guitar who plays boring chart friendly pap. 

Haven't you answered your own question there. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Haven't you answered your own question there. 

I suppose. 

The general public have no taste whatsoever. 

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am bidding on an LP on eBay and it has A3/B3 in its description. Any ideas what that means?

Nope, it’s a grading system on lots of eBay vinyl and I can’t work it out.

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am bidding on an LP on eBay and it has A3/B3 in its description. Any ideas what that means?

No clue sorry because it's neither the Goldmine standard (US - used by Discogs) or the UK Record Collector standard used by a lot of UK sellers

A/B probably relates to the sides of the vinyl but whther thats out of 5 or 10 and which end of the scale is the good end, I have no clue

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Nope, it’s a grading system on lots of eBay vinyl and I can’t work it out.

It’s described as near mint so it’s going to be more than acceptable but couldn’t work out what A3 etc meant. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It’s described as near mint so it’s going to be more than acceptable but couldn’t work out what A3 etc meant. 

Yeah the descriptions don’t tally, I’ve found A1 / B1 and then further in they’re described as VG+, well you can’t have a 1 as the middle of the scale!

R-651207-1292775394.jpg.33e1683583a8fb5985496ef560790191.jpgtiffany-memorandum-550931877.jpg.51628ed250140f541d93749d911e4bf9.jpg

26 years between tracks appearing on the comp on the left and the full album getting a release.

Nice to tick off a long time want.

There's one film title that I've been waiting even longer for.

Lalo Schifrin's 'Charley Varrick'.

'73, same vintage as the monster 'Magnum Force'.

He's so cool at the back end of the 60's and into the 70's, it's just silly.

It's seemed like an obvious release for decades.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The stamp they use to smoosh the groove into the soft vinyl is only good for a finite quantity of disks. Another stamp needs made when there's noticeable deterioration in the sound quality of the product.

The A side of your record was pressed with the 3rd generation stamp.

You can go down that rabbit hole, if you want? :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It's just a pressing variation. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

She’s the greatest songwriter of a generation, and has recently moved into the indie-rock sphere thanks to association with The National and Bon Iver.

Sheeran is a word removed though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

She’s the greatest songwriter of a generation,

It’s subjective I suppose, but nowhere near IMO. That’s not to say she’s not good, or to be negative. I just think it’s a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s subjective I suppose, but nowhere near IMO. That’s not to say she’s not good, or to be negative. I just think it’s a bit of a stretch.

It is subjective as you say, I rate her highly, very highly but appreciate others don’t. Some because it’s pop music which immediately gets downgraded but others because they don’t see it. That’s not a bad thing and that’s why there is love by some of us of Nick Cave, that some can’t stand hip hop and others haven’t heard of Bonnie Raitt, music is very subjective. There isn’t a measurable right or wrong. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â