VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm trying to remember the name of a band. Mid 90s, English female lead singer, sort of punky. Bamp. Da-damp-damp guitar riff...

Elastica - Connection

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Talk of vinyl and special editions blah blah

Courteeners got a number 1 album thanks to a vinyl rerelease

They're near the top of the how the **** do they do it list for me, I get that the mancs are desperate post oasis but honest how did such a nothing band hit them heights

To me you compare them to the 00s inide peers etc and I just dont see it and get it, nothing other the fact they're from Manchester, there's nothing to them, it's mind boggling

Yeah definitely a band I scratch my head over. Couple with when they play Manchester they tend to play relatively huge venues. Heaton Park this year. 

There are certain acts that have large followings in certain cities / regions. A lot of the time it’s their hometown

Right now in Liverpool there’s a guy called Jamie Webster, his last gig was at the Arena on the docks. He’s huge with the Liverpool fans, he'll be booked to play the fan parks at away European games. He couldn't fill a toilet in any other town or city

But sometimes, it's not a hometown band. Deacon Blue spring to mind. After the hits dried up, outside of Scotland they couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding except for in Liverpool where they’d sell out 2,000 capacity venues for years after, they couldn’t manage that in London

Lindisfarne in Newcastle is another example

Thats just what the Courteeners are

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Lindisfarne in Newcastle is another example

And they're basically a franchise - like Slade, Fairport Convention and The Eagles, they have precisely ONE original member (the bass player). Which is one more than Doctor Feelgood, at any rate. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, maqroll said:

That Sam Smith video is pretty disgusting. But I support his right to be disgusting, especially if it pisses off all the right people. 

It's only 40 years since Frankie Goes to Hollywood released the Relax video, you'd think this kinda thing would be tame by now. In fact it was tame until the rabble got roused

People wouldn't have batted an eyelid at this video not that long ago. I just watched it with the sound down (cos obviously the song isn't my thing at all) but how is this video any different to the thousands of suggestive female artist vedeos out here.

I don't even know why you think it's disgusting tbh

• Like 1

The Sam Smith thing was predictably trashed by Piers Morgan, and now on social media people are busy taking sides with one or the other. 

They don't seem to have twigged that SS and PM are in the same (show)business, and each is effectively raising the profile of the other. They're not enemies, they are allies. No such thing as bad publicity. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Yeah, just watched that video, sound down, as I’m not in a place where I can play it out loud and I also don’t particularly care to hear it.

So well done on the single YouTube watch you gained from me, Sam.

As already stated not sure why that’s particularly controversial. They wouldn’t play the video on CD:UK on a Saturday morning, but that was case for loads of videos.

As an aside, when did it become the norm for music videos to start with the artist’s name and the song title appearing on screen (occasionally the ****ing director’s name too)? I know it’s been going on for years, but watching that has prompted this rant. I find it kinda pretentious.

I get why it’s there, make sure we’re left in no doubt who this is. But presumably the vast majority people who want to watch a Sam Smith video are actively searching for it on YouTube, so it seems somewhat redundant to then say “Hey everyone, you’re now watching Sam Smith’s video for his song ‘I’m not here to make friends’…in case you didn’t already know…”.

Similar to this was the likes of Beyoncé singing her own name as part of the songs lyrics “Beyoncé, Beyoncé…”. Not sure if that still happens but it really used to grate.

I know this boils down to a mixture of selling a product and artists having a bit of an ego at times. Just irritates me.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It's only 40 years since Frankie Goes to Hollywood released the Relax video, you'd think this kinda thing would be tame by now. In fact it was tame until the rabble got roused

People wouldn't have batted an eyelid at this video not that long ago. I just watched it with the sound down (cos obviously the song isn't my thing at all) but how is this video any different to the thousands of suggestive female artist vedeos out here.

I don't even know why you think it's disgusting tbh

Flabby, unattracrive, hairy arsed middle aged men drinking liquid from urinals is a bit disgusting to me. A matter of taste, I suppose. I also support your right to enjoy that kind of imagery. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Flabby, unattracrive, hairy arsed middle aged men drinking liquid from urinals is a bit disgusting to me. A matter of taste, I suppose. I also support your right to enjoy that kind of imagery. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with enjoying it, not my thing at all but I'm equally not disgusted by it and think the unattractive, hairy arsed men being featured in a pop video is a positive

It's not really my place to criticise a culture I'm not part of.

If they enjoy it, that's fine as long as it doesn't negatively impact me

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah, just watched that video, sound down, as I’m not in a place where I can play it out loud and I also don’t particularly care to hear it.

So well done on the single YouTube watch you gained from me, Sam.

As already stated not sure why that’s particularly controversial. They wouldn’t play the video on CD:UK on a Saturday morning, but that was case for loads of videos.

As an aside, when did it become the norm for music videos to start with the artist’s name and the song title appearing on screen (occasionally the ****ing director’s name too)? I know it’s been going on for years, but watching that has prompted this rant. I find it kinda pretentious.

I get why it’s there, make sure we’re left in no doubt who this is. But presumably the vast majority people who want to watch a Sam Smith video are actively searching for it on YouTube, so it seems somewhat redundant to then say “Hey everyone, you’re now watching Sam Smith’s video for his song ‘I’m not here to make friends’…in case you didn’t already know…”.

Similar to this was the likes of Beyoncé singing her own name as part of the songs lyrics “Beyoncé, Beyoncé…”. Not sure if that still happens but it really used to grate.

I know this boils down to a mixture of selling a product and artists having a bit of an ego at times. Just irritates me.

You don’t need to watch it but this has a title and artist and then the last 25 seconds it runs credits. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with enjoying it, not my thing at all but I'm equally not disgusted by it and think the unattractive, hairy arsed men being featured in a pop video is a positive

It's not really my place to criticise a culture I'm not part of.

If they enjoy it, that's fine as long as it doesn't negatively impact me

We are in agreement on all of that with the exception of the art itself, and as a beholder of the art in question, I'm entitled to forming an honest assessment of it. 

The video was meant to provoke and push boundaries, as art often should,  and I appreciate the video on that level. 

I wonder at what point you would have begun to feel a similar tinge of revulsion? Clearly not at drinking from urinals. But what if they'd started flinging poo at each other? I'd think most people have a line they'd rather not be crossed or behavior they'd rather not be witness to. I'd be equally disgusted by straight men drinking from urinals. As I said, a matter of taste. 

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

But what if they'd started flinging poo at each other? I'd think most people have a line they'd rather not be crossed or behavior they'd rather not be witness to. I'd be equally disgusted by straight men drinking from urinals. As I said, a matter of taste. 

I really like Gibert and George's art fwiw and Salvador Dali. Shit as a motif in art in nothing new

I've put on Psychic TV who used to hang used tampons from the stage when they played. Not revulsed

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â