VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

7 hours ago, bickster said:

This person is "super excited" to be getting their first record player set up. She has been collecting vinyl for two years but can now finally play it

Look closely at just how many Taylor Swift albums she has.

lifcvm6xfvca1.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

Not trying to be too judgemental would I'd be sticking the moana soundtrack on out of that lot

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not trying to be too judgemental would I'd be sticking the moana soundtrack on out of that lot

I think that’s fair, Taylor Swift might be for people that have a developed music taste and not necessarily for those into landfill indie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I think that’s fair, Taylor Swift might be for people that have a developed music taste and not necessarily for those into landfill indie. 

I do listen to her, give every album a go and it's OK, I just don't seem to revisit it afterwards apart from the Ryan Adams one which I had on repeat for a long time and might have somewhere

She's someone that I kind of respect but I'm not in to if that makes sense so I keep looking for a way in but don't find it

Couldn’t tell you the last new Taylor Swift song I heard and knew it was her. 

There’s a possibility that will change later this year as it’s rumoured she’ll be doing guest vocals on the new album by The National. 

I feel a bit “meh” about that in all honesty. Nothing against her per se. I feel like she’d be too big of a name in comparison to other guest vocalists they’ve used previously. Phoebe Bridgers is also rumoured to be on it and I think that’s kinda pushing it. I feel like The National have a sort of subtle, kinda inscrutable quality and having a huge star like Swift on board is contrary to that.

Whatever, I’m sure it’ll be fine.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There’s a possibility that will change later this year as it’s rumoured she’ll be doing guest vocals on the new album by The National. 

Not a rumour any more, confirmed this week

I have the last Big Red Machine album, which I'm not really a fan of, I know she's on there somewhere but I couldn't really tell you which songs she's on

• Thanks 1

In all honesty I was and continue to be perplexed by The National/Taylor Swift relationship, for her she gets indie kudos points, for them, does it really help them, they were a huge band that did not need her involvement, if anything it would surely alienate some of their fans, or am I misunderstanding the feeling of TS amongst the modern indie kid. 

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In all honesty I was and continue to be perplexed by The National/Taylor Swift relationship, for her she gets indie kudos points, for them, does it really help them, they were a huge band that did not need her involvement, if anything it would surely alienate some of their fans, or am I misunderstanding the feeling of TS amongst the modern indie kid. 

I don’t think there’s any particular negative feeling towards Swift from those who like The National. My impression is that they have an older fan base (by which I mean their audience is not 90% teenage boys/men in their early twenties) and an older crowd might not care as much for that sort of pettiness.

As an aside I think that cool kudos points aren’t quite as important these days, I think there’s more of an acceptance of some pop/indie overlap. I don’t think it’s quite as tribal.

My outsider take is Swift is credible enough as an artist for most to not to find it a problem.

And in terms of artistry, I’m ok with her being on it. If the band want to work with her, hey it’s their music. It’s her level of fame that I find at odds. I’d feel the same way if it Adele or Billie Eilish.

You watch, it’ll end up being my favourite song on the album now I’ve said this.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I don't really think she'll alienate the Indie Kids or anyone really

I don't think there's any antipathy towards her or her music, there are far far far worse acts out there. Her stuff is a bit vanilla for me because I don't think she has a very distinctive voice but it doesn't offend me.

My only gripe with TS is the sheer amount of product she releases and re-releases in various variants etc which does have a detrimental effect on the growth of other acts. As that picture I posted shows there are people out there that buy every single variant and if there was an unlimited supply of pressing plants, I'd be fine with all that too, each to their own but that isn't the situation. It's not just TS, it's the major labels too. Some of the back catalogue that gets pumped out that very few are interested in is baffling. The music industry never learns lessons

• Like 3

What typically is the difference between these various reissues? Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I count 8 versions of “Folklore” in that picture. Is that right??

Is it a different set of bonus tracks each time? Different versions of a particular single? And are all these reissues released at the same time or are they released every few months?

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What typically is the difference between these various reissues? Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I count 8 versions of “Folklore” in that picture. Is that right??

Is it a different set of bonus tracks each time? Different versions of a particular single? And are all these reissues released at the same time or are they released every few months?

The colour of the vinyl usually or just different covers. It's rarely if ever different tracks on the same format these days. That is it. Completists want every variant, they probably don't play them

• Thanks 1

Just now, bickster said:

The colour of the vinyl usually. That is it. Completists want every variant, they probably don't play them

Yep, I'm a sucker for a "limited edition" colour

But fortunately I'm not a completionist so it's only a few quid each time

Also seen an increase in bundles, said somewhere I ordered the nationals new album thats bundled with something like an exclusive single, foals had bundles with like the vinyl the CD the cassette and a hoodie, people must be buying it

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

A lot are released at the same time, Midnights as an example was different colour vinyl, 4 of those, 4 different colour sleeves of the CD version too. Folklore was 8 different sleeves. 8. **** 8.

• Thanks 1

Folklore is a good example of this nonsense. In all there are 24 different variants of the vinyl album

Vinyl releases were available for pre-order from official US and European Taylor Swift Web-Stores in 8 different editions:
1. In The Trees
2. In The Weeds
3. Meet Me Behind The Mall
4. Betty’s Garden
5. Stolen Lullabies
6. Hide And Seek
7. Running Like Water
8. Clandestine Meetings

Each Deluxe Vinyl Album includes:
16 songs + bonus song "the lakes"
1 of 8 unique, collectible gatefold covers
1 of 8 unique, collectible back covers
1 of 8 collectible vinyl album inner sleeves (each version contains lyrics, 5 unique photos, and unique artwork)
1 of 8 unique vinyl disc photos
2 vinyl albums (each version including a unique color*)

Discogs

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, I'm a sucker for a "limited edition" colour

But fortunately I'm not a completionist so it's only a few quid each time

Also seen an increase in bundles, said somewhere I ordered the nationals new album thats bundled with something like an exclusive single, foals had bundles with like the vinyl the CD the cassette and a hoodie, people must be buying it

This isn't the problem. I've had a rant about coloured vinyl before but that's more of a personal preference. Normally an album will be released and have about 3 variants but most people generally only buy one but when you get an act like TS and the fans are obsessive, they try and buy every sodding version and the longer than goes on, the more they'll rinse the fans. This is what blocks the pressing plants

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

This isn't the problem. I've had a rant about coloured vinyl before but that's more of a personal preference. Normally an album will be released and have about 3 variants but most people generally only buy one but when you get an act like TS and the fans are obsessive, they try and buy every sodding version and the longer than goes on, the more they'll rinse the fans. This is what blocks the pressing plants

More so this time, an added incentive to buy her product was all that did via her site can get a pre sale code for a future tour. Not an incentive to buy all of the editions, but an incentive to buy at least one. 

Back in the pre-CD days, when vinyl was all there was, I seem to remember audiophiles insisting that gimicky coloured vinyl pressings were of inferior quality, and to be avoided. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Back in the pre-CD days, when vinyl was all there was, I seem to remember audiophiles insisting that gimicky coloured vinyl pressings were of inferior quality, and to be avoided. 

I'm not sure about sound quality but longevity may be an issue. Vinyl is clear in its native form, it becomes black because of the hardening agent, coloured vinyl doesn't have the hardening agent is my understanding but I could be wrong.

I do tend to dismiss anything the audiophile community say though because they will be complaining about minute differences in the main that are only detectable on high end kit

• Like 1

Talk of vinyl and special editions blah blah

Courteeners got a number 1 album thanks to a vinyl rerelease

They're near the top of the how the **** do they do it list for me, I get that the mancs are desperate post oasis but honest how did such a nothing band hit them heights

To me you compare them to the 00s inide peers etc and I just dont see it and get it, nothing other the fact they're from Manchester, there's nothing to them, it's mind boggling

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â