VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Tbh it was always going to hit a brick wall. CDs being released months before the vinyl is commonplace now. The biz needs to stop rereleasing albums year on year because the pressing plants that are left are at capacity for 12” product. The only room for growth is in the 7” & 10” product. Only weirdos buy 7” singles these days because they are shockingly bad value for money now that people are trying to turn a profit on them which wasn’t the case in days of yore, they were cheap giveaways to promote albums which were the real product. And I’ve always been a sucker for 10” records, probably because it goes back to the original dub plates which often were in that format. I’ve bought more 10” records this year than any other year I think. The Advisory Circle released their latest album as a double 10” and I predict more of this. A Wire side project did similar the year before. I predict more of this will happen if there is to be growth

TLDR it’s Taylor Swifts fault

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2020 & 2021 would've obviously been good for interests you can do at home and indoors.

Expecting another big leap in sales in 2022 when we were finally let out seems unrealistic?

Further growth in 2023, when bills will be eating into disposable income, might also be unrealistic?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

2020 & 2021 would've obviously been good for interests you can do at home and indoors.

Expecting another big leap in sales in 2022 when we were finally let out seems unrealistic?

Further growth in 2023, when bills will be eating into disposable income, might also be unrealistic?

Plus, that crazy number of record buyers that, erm, don’t own record players.

I know one, he has a couple of Adele albums, Dixie Chicks, and Amy Winehouse. He’s bought all of them from HMV so I’m guessing he’s shelled out well over £120 on those 4 records. No record player. I can’t imagine he’ll be buying many more now he has those carefully positioned on his best wall unit.

The squeeze on disposable income will be massive, and should be where prices become more realistic. But I don’t see that happening. HMV in Cardiff appear to be prepping already for the end of the fashion. The albums are still £32.99 for Iron Maiden and Queen, but they’ve shifted them up to the first floor, over half the floor space they had on the ground floor. Hopefully what the HMV customers really want is manga comics, Garfield tee shirts, and wobbly head Iron Man toys, ‘cos that’s what the ground floor is now. 

Research from a major label pre Covid suggested the majority of new vinyl sold wasn't getting played, so I'm not that surprised to see that.

As for the Tory/Brexit/Putin/corporate gougefest's effects on the industry? I'm not sure it's going to be great.

• Like 1

I don't listen to mine, I collect more than Iisten to them, chucked out my record player a few years back when moving and never got round to replacing it

For me personally part of the problem is they're now seemingly taking the piss with it, not just with the price increases but the number of editions, fontaines last album has just another edition which puts that album on 4 or 5

Add to that I'm assuming that the sales are based on new albums from the likes of HMV and record stores, including independent? That's not really what record collecting is all about is it? I'll order all my new albums direct from the artist website (which was about 3 albums last year) record shopping to me is all about the rummaging... The 2nd hand gems that you can't believe your luck when you find them, it's not about walking in to HMV and picking up a back to black beatles album*

Because of moving again I decided to sell all my 7" over Xmas, mixture of discogs and ebay, managed to sell around half of them for just under a grand so happy enough, really hard to gauge what sells and what doesn't, Arctic Monkeys singles went for a lot of money one for the road unopened in mint condition went for £80, courteeners surprisingly struggled to sell, nobody was interested in a few libertines singles, some utter garbage hand me downs sold easily though

Will be interesting to see if the interest dropping off results in some people cashing in on their collections and the 2nd hand shops getting better

* what would interest me is rereleases of the 90s stuff where to me it seems like next to nothing was released, I've picked up the OCS albums that have been done for RSD over the years and last week in a sale I picked up 2 embrace reissues for £9 each (assai records, good sale) there's loads that I'd like to get my hands on but I'd say the majority of record shops don't even have a 90s section

Edit - and it's a good time to sell my 7"...the strokes have just released a singles box set, I'd have been all over that

Edited by villa4europe

Even many of the used record shops are getting their shit together now. There are still the dumps that just pile 10,000 mouldy albums in a damp shop unit. Most of it is Don Estelle and James Last but there is always a chance you’ll find a test pressing of Dark Side of the Moon for £5.

Most of the shops however, now appear to be the physical storage space for someone that’s done ok on discogs. My local one is really very good, but he’s beginning to pitch his used prices at just below HMV’. There’s another re release of Funkadelic One Nation coming up and its going to be £30 for a repress of an old record. Pure profit for someone. So the local seconds guy is currently showing that he has used versions… for just £20. Which is a shame.

It must be 40 years since I bought a record I didn’t intend to play. Well, I say didn’t intend to play, I hoped to play it, but it required persuading a female in to my clutches. Depeche Mode, Speak and Spell. Bought a copy just in case I ever got a chance of touching boobs. Cellophane stayed on that **** for best part of a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Depeche Mode, Speak and Spell. Bought a copy just in case I ever got a chance of touching boobs

There are quite a few single entendres begging to be used from the track list on that one, IIRC.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Even many of the used record shops are getting their shit together now. There are still the dumps that just pile 10,000 mouldy albums in a damp shop unit. Most of it is Don Estelle and James Last but there is always a chance you’ll find a test pressing of Dark Side of the Moon for £5.

Most of the shops however, now appear to be the physical storage space for someone that’s done ok on discogs. My local one is really very good, but he’s beginning to pitch his used prices at just below HMV’. There’s another re release of Funkadelic One Nation coming up and its going to be £30 for a repress of an old record. Pure profit for someone. So the local seconds guy is currently showing that he has used versions… for just £20. Which is a shame.

It must be 40 years since I bought a record I didn’t intend to play. Well, I say didn’t intend to play, I hoped to play it, but it required persuading a female in to my clutches. Depeche Mode, Speak and Spell. Bought a copy just in case I ever got a chance of touching boobs. Cellophane stayed on that **** for best part of a year.

Moonshake, shitty hippy band from the 90s, thought it would impress the current MrsD, I am still on no boob touch rations as a result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't listen to mine, I collect more than Iisten to them, chucked out my record player a few years back when moving and never got round to replacing it

Screenshot_2023-01-19-09-24-19-82_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

• Like 3

This person is "super excited" to be getting their first record player set up. She has been collecting vinyl for two years but can now finally play it

Look closely at just how many Taylor Swift albums she has.

lifcvm6xfvca1.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

This person is "super excited" to be getting their first record player set up. She has been collecting vinyl for two years but can now finally play it

Look closely at just how many Taylor Swift albums she has.

lifcvm6xfvca1.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

Ms Swift, as much as I love her, is the master of rinsing her fans. Multiple variations on CD, multiple variations on LP, as well as the rerecordings "Taylors version". TS vinyl is very expensive in my opinion as well, fair play to that person.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Ms Swift, as much as I love her, is the master of rinsing her fans. Multiple variations on CD, multiple variations on LP, as well as the rerecordings "Taylors version". TS vinyl is very expensive in my opinion as well, fair play to that person.

Yeah but this is also one of the reasons pressing plants are at capacity. TS is a resource hog

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

It is, and if I was single or married to someone that didnt question an LP shaped box, I would be buying that shit.

Mine bought me a satchel for Christmas and declared I now had two different bags I could smuggle records in to the house with, without her knowing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

Yeah but this is also one of the reasons pressing plants are at capacity. TS is a resource hog

Look if it keeps reggae or Guatemalan jazz fusion off the streets, then I am sorry, she is doing the lords work. 

• Haha 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Mine bought me a satchel for Christmas and declared I now had two different bags I could smuggle records in to the house with, without her knowing.

My wife didn't work from home until January the 3rd. There have been considerably fewer deliveries since January the 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

she is doing the lords work

On TS, I had only knowingly listened to any of her songs in one Tiny Desk concert. I thought she was talented but not really my cup of tea - a bit to polished, a bit too aware of her “status”. But the other day I saw a film and the theme song was by her, and it was excellent, both as a match for the film, but also as a song on its own.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

On TS, I had only knowingly listened to any of her songs in one Tiny Desk concert. I thought she was talented but not really my cup of tea - a bit to polished, a bit too aware of her “status”. But the other day I saw a film and the theme song was by her, and it was excellent, both as a match for the film, but also as a song on its own.

It fits really well I think. So basically Blandy you are joining me and @fightoffyour as members of the Taylor Swift fan club right. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â