VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of the best topic for this. If anyone needs storage boxes for 12" records... Home Bargains (suck it up southerners) seem to have some perfect big grey platic storage boxes (62L) in stock atm and storage boxes for 12" records are not easy to find these days. £9 a box, which is cheaper than I found online and even then you had to buy ten boxes in bulk to get anywhere near that price

On 10/01/2023 at 22:49, bickster said:

Sort of the best topic for this. If anyone needs storage boxes for 12" records... Home Bargains (suck it up southerners) seem to have some perfect big grey platic storage boxes (62L) in stock atm and storage boxes for 12" records are not easy to find these days. £9 a box, which is cheaper than I found online and even then you had to buy ten boxes in bulk to get anywhere near that price

Thanks for the heads up.  I've got over 3000 LPs and 1500 12"s (and a couple of thousand 7"s) on Ikea Billy bookcases but they're sagging a little in the middle and I want to replace them with Kallax.  These boxes would be ideal for temporary storage while I switch shelving units. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorthernGordon said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I've got over 3000 LPs and 1500 12"s (and a couple of thousand 7"s) on Ikea Billy bookcases but they're sagging a little in the middle and I want to replace them with Kallax.  These boxes would be ideal for temporary storage while I switch shelving units. 

I use Kallax and it’s perfect. I initially had shelves but the kallax was made for vinyl. 

Oh there’s always a record in the first few weeks of Jan that the record companies push.  Sometimes it’s very obvious. Last year there was two, Yard Act and Wet Leg. I didn’t mind either of them. Going back years I remember Franz Ferdinand were the Jan push band.

This year it seems to be Jamie T. Well his ruination of This Mortal Coils cover of Big Star’s Kangaroo is seriously f***ing shit. I think it’s called 90s Cars.

Its utterly rubbish

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And wtf is this?

I rather like it. “It’s also a message of hope that ultimately love conquers all.” Who could have imagined Johnny Rotten saying that in 1976? 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It's touching. His wife's situation might explain it. She's got Alzheimer's.

Ah didn’t know it was about his wife, it was just so untypical it was a bit of a shock

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Ah didn’t know it was about his wife, it was just so untypical it was a bit of a shock

I don't know that it is - but I did know his wife was suffering and so....anyway...it just resonates with what I am aware of

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I don't know that it is - but I did know his wife was suffering and so....anyway...it just resonates with what I am aware of

It definitely is. 

I made my own shelving to get the best / max fit along the wall. It also meant I could put the uprights directly under my hefty turntable (it weighs about the same as yer mum).

Though I’m now considering shifting the turntable off centre so I can get another batch of albums on that shelf. The amp I’m currently using is substantially smaller than the previous one, it was only ever a temporary thing, but it turns out I actually like it. So I could stack the turntable atop the amp and make space for around about 100 more records. Meaning less storage / rotation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Public Image Ltd, the post-punk band formed by John Lydon in the wake of the Sex Pistols’ demise, will compete to represent Ireland at this year’s Eurovision song contest.

Lydon was born in London to Irish parents and holds an Irish passport in addition to American citizenship. He previously told Vice magazine: “I view myself as British first and foremost. When my parents came over from Ireland they became intrinsically working-class English. [I’m] proper London working-class.”

The group, AKA PiL, have submitted the song Hawaii, a love letter to Lydon’s wife, Nora Forster, who lives with Alzheimer’s disease. The group described it as “a pensive, personal yet universal love song that will resonate with many”, and will perform it – alongside Ireland’s other Eurovision hopefuls – during the heat to determine the nation’s competitor on the Late Late Show on 3 February.

“It is dedicated to everyone going through tough times on the journey of life, with the person they care for the most,” Lydon said in a statement. “It’s also a message of hope that ultimately love conquers all.”

Hawaii is streaming now and will be released on limited edition 7-in vinyl later in the year.

The group, formed in 1978, are one of six contenders competing for Ireland, alongside County Donegal balladeer ADGY (AKA Andrew Carr), young Leitir Meailláin songwriter Connolly (AKA Jennifer Connolly), Dublin four-piece Wild Youth, Dublin indie-pop star Leila Jane and Longford rap duo K Muni and ND.

Ireland last qualified for the finals of Eurovision in 2018, when Ryan O’Shaughnessy finished in 16th place. However, with seven winners and 18 top-five placings, as of 2021 Ireland was the most successful country in the contest overall. If PiL qualify for the competition, they will join historic competitors such as 1980’s winner Johnny Logan, the three consecutive winners Linda Martin (1992), Niamh Kavanagh (1993) and Paul Harrington and Charlie McGettigan (1994), and X Factor finalists Jedward, who placed eighth in 2011, making them Ireland’s most successful entrants in a decade.

Lydon and Forster are thought to have married in the late 1970s and have lived in California since the early 1980s. In 2020, Lydon told the Observer that he had become his wife’s full-time carer as she lived with Alzheimer’s.

He told the newspaper that he would never put Forster into a home. “I don’t make commitments lightly and this is my Babbie,” he said, using his nickname for her. “When we decided to commit, that was it – it was going to be that way for ever.”

“She’s going through some traumas,” Lydon continued. “Bits of memories are fading, slowly but surely, and will probably all be gone eventually. But I’m making sure it’s a happy journey and not a sad one. She will never forget me, and I will never forget her, whatever else falls out of her earholes.”

Public Image Ltd is currently comprised of Lydon, drummer Bruce Smith, guitarist Lu Edmonds and bassist Scott Firth. Founding guitarist Keith Levene died in November 2022, having departed the band in 1983. The group’s last album was 2015’s What the World Needs Now, described by the Observer as “exhilaratingly fun”.

Grauniad

• Thanks 1

Did the music business kill the vinyl revival?

…in 2022, the growth rate collapsed from 95% to 4%. That’s not a slowdown—that’s slamming on the brakes right before you hit the brick wall. 

Check out the trend line—which tells you immediately that the amazing growth spurt of the last few years is now over.

spacer.png

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â