VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

For me, High Violet has some real high points, but I’d rather listen to Alligator, Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me and I am Easy to Find.

So I suppose it’s my fifth favourite of theirs as it stands, which from what I’ve read generally is at odds with the fan base as a whole.

@mjmooney yeah as Bicks says, they do take a fair few listens, while I love them I understand why some find them hard work, even considering them a bit boring. For what it’s worth and for whatever reason, I have the feeling you’d like 90 mile Water Wall, from their second album. I’m probably wrong, but if I was going to introduce you to them, I’d have chosen that.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For what it’s worth and for whatever reason, I have the feeling you’d like 90 mile Water Wall, from their second album. I’m probably wrong, but if I was going to introduce you to them, I’d have chosen that

Yeah, that's a bit more like it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

For me, High Violet has some real high points, but I’d rather listen to Alligator, Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me and I am Easy to Find.

So I suppose it’s my fifth favourite of theirs as it stands, which from what I’ve read generally is at odds with the fan base as a whole.

@mjmooney yeah as Bicks says, they do take a fair few listens, while I love them I understand why some find them hard work, even considering them a bit boring. For what it’s worth and for whatever reason, I have the feeling you’d like 90 mile Water Wall, from their second album. I’m probably wrong, but if I was going to introduce you to them, I’d have chosen that.

I started with them after I saw them on jools, they definitley did terrible love but I can't remember what the 2nd song was

After that I picked up high violet and then after that the 1st and 2nd album (how did we do it pre Spotify?!) and it was the 2nd album that properly got me in to the them, I'm sure the opening 3 or 4 tracks are belters

As a starter for 10 I'd go England, 90 mile water wall, sea of love, bloodbizz ohio, mr November and about today 

About today isnt a happy song but I think if it catches me in the right mood it's a really emotional one, especially given it doesn't have that many lyrics 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think HV is my fave, but Boxer second, TWFM and Alligator both rank highly. Seen them a couple of times and they’re great love too

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I started with them after I saw them on jools, they definitley did terrible love but I can't remember what the 2nd song was

After that I picked up high violet and then after that the 1st and 2nd album (how did we do it pre Spotify?!) and it was the 2nd album that properly got me in to the them, I'm sure the opening 3 or 4 tracks are belters

As a starter for 10 I'd go England, 90 mile water wall, sea of love, bloodbizz ohio, mr November and about today 

About today isnt a happy song but I think if it catches me in the right mood it's a really emotional one, especially given it doesn't have that many lyrics 

Throw in Slow Show and Apartment Story off Boxer and Light Years off Sleep Well Beast.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In my case, I was listening to Maconie and Radcliffe, they had Editors on doing an interview and acoustic session. They were choosing songs to play and one was All the Wine. The National had recently been on tour with them, this was about 2007. 

It’s probably one of their more immediate songs, as such I was interested in them after about 10 seconds. Their second album is unfairly maligned, Lucky You is a great tune.

Your starter for ten is pretty strong. I do have the sense that various best of lists would wildly vary from person to person. Which isn’t a bad thing.

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I didn't get on with sleep well beast or I am easy to find or whatever it's called, their playlist has dust on it too, listen to England every now and then but that's about it

Will give it another listen tomorrow 

Sleep Well Beast isn’t a classic in my opinion either. 
You might have already listened but maybe give Big Red Machine a try, it’s Aaron Dessner from the National and Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. Their latest album was very good, had some good other artists on there collaborating 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Yeah I struggle to get into Sleep Well Beast. It’s not bad, Day I Die is a highlight.

I am Easy to Find is more memorable, I like the introduction of female voices throughout the album. Probably about 3/4 of the album I really enjoy.

I came across them 15 or so years ago because a track from boxer was on a magazine free CD.

So I bought Boxer, really liked it and so bought the previous albums too, Sad songs for dirty lovers and alligator. Then High Violet came out. TWFM and Sleep Well Beast I bought too, but I think their direction was going away from why I initially loved them and I’ve not bought any others since then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

I came across them 15 or so years ago because a track from boxer was on a magazine free CD.

So I bought Boxer, really liked it and so bought the previous albums too, Sad songs for dirty lovers and alligator. Then High Violet came out. TWFM and Sleep Well Beast I bought too, but I think their direction was going away from why I initially loved them and I’ve not bought any others since then.

That line in ‘Slow Show’

”you know I dreamed about you, for 29 years, before I saw you…”

Just perfect! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Moderately interesting thread on country music in Africa. A few years back the BBC as part of one of its news programmes did a less in depth view.

"You can't go to a bar, party or wedding without avoiding it". 

Doesn't sound like they're that much into it to me...   :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Joking aside, one of my wife's mates had a boyfriend who made a good living in London, playing pedal steel guitar. Partly in c&w bands, and partly in a West African hi-life band. 

For those of a certain vintage that think 90’s music was the pinnacle of all human art, Fashion Nugget, by Cake is having a reissue.

I am tempted, just for the cover of I Will Survive.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â