VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

Fraser doesn't surprise me because I've seen a few recent images but Guthrie is definitely a bit of a shock

He's gained 15 years by sleight of wardrobe.

On 03/06/2022 at 16:49, Seat68 said:

May be up @Xann street I think. 

Do like a genre collision, but I've already got too much stuff to properly assimilate from lockdown :)

• Like 1

The new series about the Sex Pistols, Pistol, is streaming on Disney

Smash the System :D

To be perfectly honest, the Pistols "story" isn't really that interesting. They were important obviously as the spark but the back story isn't that interesting at all

• Like 1

Pop ban manufactured by mclaren... 

I'm not a huge huge punk fan anyway (but I love the clash) I just don't really get them, all flash no bang

Edit - and its one for the piss me off thread, it's not on my disney+, not sure who has it over here 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Pop ban manufactured by mclaren... 

Not really true. The original line-up of Lydon/ Matlock/Cook/Jones wrote the album. Sure McLaren hired Matlock and Lydon to partner Cook and Jones but that is no different to may bands looking for a lead singer or a bass player. They weren't a manufactured band in that sense. Absolutely no different to Epstien pushing out Pete Best and hiring Ringo. The hype and the antics, sure that was all McLaren pushing all the buttons with the unwitting stooges in the band playing along. McLaren did that perfectly. No-one has ever done it better

There's also no doubt in my mind that they did change the musical landscape forever. Punk was really a 6 month flash in the pan thing but it changed the music business forever. It's also fairly safe to say that without the Pistols, The Clash wouldn't have happened (in the way that they did). The Pistols were definitely the spark that lit a musical revolution. My point is that their own story isn't that interesting, the real interesting stuff is what happened to music industry in its wake.

Musically, they wrote 4 absolute classic iconic songs. God Save the Queen, Pretty Vacant, Holidays in the Sun and Anarchy in the UK. That's more than most manage in an entire career.

But having this TV series on Disney is hilarious

I'm not a huge Pistols fan either, I much prefer The Clash as in I do still play The Clash and rarely ever play NMTB (which I only own on CD bought for DJing purposes) but I don't think they were a "manufactured band" and I think they provided what was a pivotal moment in the history of popular music. They were a spark that changed the way the music industry works, forever.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

Punk was really a 6 month flash in the pan thing but it changed the music business forever.

You've summed up my mission statement perfectly in one sentence there. 

The only difference is that you think it was for the better and I think it was for the worse. 

Re: Liz Fraser. You won't be surprised to know that all I know about the Cocteau Twins is that version of Song to the Siren (which is admittedly excellent). I saw her interviewed on that Jeff Buckley doc that was on TV last week, still trading off the fact that she'd shagged Buckley. Looked like a mousy librarian and came across as a right wet ninny. 

Edited by mjmooney

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Re: Liz Fraser. You won't be surprised to know that all I know about the Cocteau Twins is that version of Song to the Siren (which is admittedly excellent).

Not the Cocteau Twins. This Mortal Coil, the 4AD house band. That version of STTS is actually Fazer & Guthrie plus two of Modern English iirc (hence the combined version of 16 days and gathering dust off their debut album on the B-Side because they wanted to record something quick to get the single out) 

Also Frazer's relationship with Buckley was short lived and well after the STTS record, not only that she was Internationally recognised in her own right at the time, probably more so than Buckley so the trading off Jeff Buckley thing is utter nonsense.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not the Cocteau Twins. This Mortal Coil, the 4AD house band. 

Better still, I even got the band wrong. Sums up my level of interest. 

8 hours ago, bickster said:

This Mortal Coil, the 4AD house band

I've got that album from way back on Vinyl - one of the ones I didn't manage to lose. It's quite patchy tbh, STTS stands out. Anyway, talking of 4AD...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rare bit of chart new trivia. Kate Bush is number one with “Running up that Hill” (due to it’s use in the show Stranger Things).

For those vaguely interested, this has broken a few records.

Kate Bush is now the oldest female artist to score a UK number one (she’s 63).

It is the longest delay from a song being released to reaching number one (37 years).

The longest gap between number one hits for any artist (it’s been 44 years since “Wuthering Heights” reached the top spot).

I suppose all this could have gone in the totally useless information/trivia thread, but I thought it best to let the dust settle in there after my Dear John/Pasteur revelation.

I don't think it's that good a song, it's good in snippets like in stranger things but come the end of the 5 minutes it's gone a bit boring

Listened to the placebo version again for the first time since that was around and don't remember that being so bad 

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, it is now we are in the closing death throws.

But bloody hell, not the first few years, the man was a machine.

Are we starting the 'most overrated rock star of all time' thread again? 

As The Beatles are to @bickster, so Elvis is to me. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â