VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Someone with a really good copy with an awful or missing cover might buy it I guess

To avoid any doubt - THIS DOES NOT PLAY.  

No posters or sticker and sleeve is in poor condition 

He put it up at 99p as an experiment. He ordinarily sells via twitter / WhatsApp.

• Haha 1

First record I clicked on just now in the RSD list had this comment on it...

"Due to manufacturing delays, this title will be available in participating record shops on June 18th."

I suspect that might be a bit of a feature this year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

So as it's RSD 2022 tomorrow, anyone got their eye on anything?

Big fat sod all for me

Apparently the first couple of people have started the queue in Cardiff! Absolutely nuts.

Although someone in the office today outed themselves as all excited about it. In our end of week ‘what you doing on the weekend’ he said he was getting up early to be part of the queue and part of the buzz and couldn’t wait to see what he might find.

I might have gone for the Tamarind Seed OST, but I know they haven’t got that in Cardiff. I’ve also put in a wish list for SFA, but that’s not out until June.

Here's a prediction. This will end up in the bargain bins and again, June 18th

farm-the_groovy_train_sticker_bmgcat601e

Nope, changed my mind, it'll be this oh June 18th again

go-west-bangs-crashes-2lp-clear-vinyl-rs

Nope, as I remember it, this was in the second hand shops not long after it was released, guess what.... yep June 18th

human-league-the-unlimited-orchestra.png

Christ they are releasing some absolute dog shit, Sheena bloody Easton FFS

Actually, I might me interested in this... but as these never really get snapped up (last couple of RSD ones are still in shops unsealed) I won't be rushing, oh I won't even have to, guess what... June 18th (actually all of the Soul Jazz Comps interest me)

soul-jazz-records-studio-one-classics.jp

And this by Sun's Signature (thats a collaboration between Elizabeth Fraser and some bloke that might have been a former Bunnyman Damon Reece) But guess what... June I gave up looking to see if the Morricone / John Barry releases were out tomorrow

sun-s-signature-sun-s-signature.jpg?mode

So apart from David Bowie is anything actually being released tomorrow :D

On 22/04/2022 at 19:28, bickster said:

So apart from David Bowie is anything actually being released tomorrow :D

I like Modern Harmonic and they kindly released 2 of the 8 CDs that are listed :)

One's Doo Wop, the other Middle Eastern. Will listen to a few tracks from each this week. 

I went to badlands in cheltenham, got there about 6.30am and was about 30th in the queue

Picked up the OCS live acoustic album* which is what I wanted and then a copy of skinty fa because they didn't have skunk anansie and the one copy of the streets boxset got picked up by the guy in front of me 

It wasn't a good year for me but it was strangely good to be back doing it after 4 years off, will no doubt find the streets in a cologne record shop in mid August which takes all the shine off it 

* they've added it to Spotify too under Simon Fowler, it's good, love OCS and Simons voice, I'd say its got a livelier crowd than their other live albums 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Or a key, or a fingernail, a knife from the cutlery drawer, a bit of stick.

It’s a variation of my nan’s old saying ‘everything’s a dildo if you’re brave enough’.

• Haha 1

It only that but it’s branded as “Lost Sounds Found.” 

Is it picky of me to suggest that any lost sounds that are found won’t be sodding shrink wrapped

And talking of shrink wrap, I predict more albums will be like the John Barry album and not be wrapped at all

• Like 1

Yeah, I did appreciate the lack of shrink wrap, a small contribution I guess when you’re buying a 12 inch slab of vinyl, but still a good move.

Plus many thanks for spending up front and then holding for a while.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I did appreciate the lack of shrink wrap, a small contribution I guess when you’re buying a 12 inch slab of vinyl, but still a good move.

Plus many thanks for spending up front and then holding for a while.

Like I said it was no problem

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 13:45, bickster said:

I have no idea about his current crop of musicians but that definitely wouldn't have been the case up to the demise of Beady Eye. Andy Bell and Chris Sharrock are both very talented musicians

A bit late, but this had me wondering.

Musicians who go out on tour with a band, but they’re not a permanent member of the band. How often is it the case that they don’t really like the music the band plays, but hey it’s a regular gig for the next year, so any artistic fulfilment is put on hold for practical purposes?

Obviously there’s not a catch all answer to this. But Bicks, I suspect you might have a fair idea on it. Or those who have more of a musical leaning than myself might do as well. A touring musician choosing to play something they’re more into for less money, than something they’re not into for more money. I don’t know how often the quandary presents itself.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A bit late, but this had me wondering.

Musicians who go out on tour with a band, but they’re not a permanent member of the band. How often is it the case that they don’t really like the music the band plays, but hey it’s a regular gig for the next year, so any artistic fulfilment is put on hold for practical purposes?

Obviously there’s not a catch all answer to this. But Bicks, I suspect you might have a fair idea on it. Or those who have more of a musical leaning than myself might do as well. A touring musician choosing to play something they’re more into for less money, than something they’re not into for more money. I don’t know how often the quandary presents itself.

Depends on a whole bunch of circumstances. A mate of mine Roy is a bass player, he was in Black and when I say in Black, Colin  Verncombe had him on a retainer to be in the band (much like Sharrock & Bell), he was in the second incarnation of the Icicle Works (so after Sharrock left), he'd have been paid by the record company but he still works with Ian McNabb now but I suspect he gets very little money for it because Ian's a mate and he really likes what Ian does. He's also played with Joan Armatrading around UK and Europe, which I guess was money driven, not that he didn’t enjoy it but not his thing either. He's played with Skin after Skunk Anansie split, that is more his thing but still, he wouldn’t have done it if the money wasn’t right. In between playing live he also tour manages bands or works as a promoters rep because he needs the money coming in when he's got nothing on

You'd have to get to a. very high level before you could start getting that choosy I think

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â