VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 11/03/2022 at 15:49, bickster said:

The staff were helpful though, I asked if the new Loop album was out (it was listed as today) and Gordon? even rang the distributor to find out why it hadn't come in.

Yeah, that’s what I do basically. I know what I want before I go in, and just ask Gordon for it. Then maybe have a token browse after. I’ve mostly ordered online recently, and if they don’t have something, then I use Piccadilly records instead, which has a bigger and much better organised shop if you do go in. Action is definitely concentrating on vinyl sales and I think that’s why there’s all those boxes under the racks and in front of the counter. More stuff than they have the time to organise properly.

I've just changed my stylus because I needed a new one but I decided to go a model up from the Ortofon OM 5E (£35) to the OM 10 (£50) 

So out comes the testing record, Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk. It's the perfect test record, full range of sound, emptier spaces and full on cacophony

There's definitely an improvement is sound quality, improved separation, the top end is a little bit brighter and the mids seem more defined

I'm really pleased with the extra £15 I spent

The only thing that wories me is that I might be tempted to move up to the OM 20 next time and thats a huge price increase (£150)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just because they are playing kairdiff tonight so it reminded me…

spacer.png

A few years ago, I was a bit drunk and on a late tube back to my hotel, when I spied that the only other person in the tube carriage was Mr Diggle. But for the life of me I couldn’t remember his name.

So I told him something along the lines of it was killing me because I couldn’t remember his name, but keep up the good work. He laughed, apologised that he didn’t know my name either which made us equal, and asked me where I was going.

Anyway, at that point the tube was around Camden and he asked if I had ever had a late night explore of Camden. I said no, we agreed it would be a good idea, so we jumped off the tube and went for a wander.

Stood on the side of a canal, at night, pissed, with a bloke who’s name I couldn’t remember. I suddenly had a moment of focus and realised I was probably swimming well out of my depth. Said I’d had a wonderful time and that I had to go. We shook hands, had a little hug, and off I went.

Sweet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Sweet

Because my work computer doesn't let me see stuff like tweets and pics, I see this

diggle.PNG

So I googled "Mr Diggle" and it seems he's either a former high-ranking agent of A.R.G.U.S., a former bodyguard, a master sergeant in the United States Army, or An angry tenant who launched into a tirade of abuse towards police officers, or a Kettering teacher struck off for student bra removal ...

Sounds like you could have had a fun night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Hey @dAVe80 @bickster hot news: get yourselves over to Aylesbury and snag this used reissue copy of Majestic Dub for £35

spacer.png

<insert "the thing that drew me to vinyl was the expense and inconvenience" meme here> 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Hey @dAVe80 @bickster hot news: get yourselves over to Aylesbury and snag this used reissue copy of Majestic Dub for £35

spacer.png

I guess alternatively, you might already have bought a shiny new copy, for about £14

There isn't a copy on Discogs of even the original UK pressing that is anywhere near that price. In fact there's a copy that claims to be mint, never played and is former BBC Archive stock for £30 and that is the most expensive version by far. There's what appears to be decent first UK pressings in the £13 region. Whoever that bloke is in Aylesbury needs his bumps felt

The last four records I’ve bought, one is a double album with a 30 page insert, one is brand new, the total price was £7 less than the cost of that.

Which I guess is where the fun is, finding the finds.

• Like 2

Asking for a friend:

If you’ve lost one of your wife’s records and she never ever plays records but has a good memory that she owns that record and hasn’t disposed of it, and you find a good dirt cheap second hand replacement, but then on further investigation today, this new copy has a big fold out poster of the band in it, do you:

Keep the poster and plead ignorance in the unlikely event it should it ever be discovered?

Dispose of the poster?

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Asking for a friend:

If you’ve lost one of your wife’s records and she never ever plays records but has a good memory that she owns that record and hasn’t disposed of it, and you find a good dirt cheap second hand replacement, but then on further investigation today, this new copy has a big fold out poster of the band in it, do you:

Keep the poster and plead ignorance in the unlikely event it should it ever be discovered?

Dispose of the poster?

C - try and gain brownie points by keeping the poster and on the unlikely event it gets discovered, spin the yarn you bought it for her to ‘complete’ the album but forgot to tell at the time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Asking for a friend:

Dispose of the poster?

Keep the poster, let her think it's always been there and she is having a senior moment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

How'd that happen?

Well, there’s a chance it’s been misplaced in a box somewhere and might turn up in a carrier bag of Soft Cell 12” singles or some such.

But there is a small bunch of records on the missing list, one is this Hotel California, another is an original of the Laurie Anderson album Big Science. A few months ago I did bin a small number of absolute tat albums. Random purchases that turned out to be absolute junk. I’ve just got this fear that I know I’ve disposed of some, and there are some albums I know are missing. 

The two events feel like they could be linked in some terrible admin / recycling centre cock up.

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But there is a small bunch of records on the missing list, one is this Hotel California

See now there's actual details the answer is different.

Tell her it's lost and in reality you were doing her a favour to spare her blushes :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The two events feel like they could be linked in some terrible admin / recycling centre cock up.

Well, you know how mental she is?

Would tell mine if I'd replaced a missing album with one in better nick.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mental? No, she’s my best mate.

:D  Hahaha - Wasn't saying she was mental, was saying you're the best qualified to judge whether there'd be a ruck?

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

:D  Hahaha - Wasn't saying she was mental, was saying you're the best qualified to judge whether there'd be a ruck?

Nah, not a chance of a ruck really. That one specific record does have some sentimental value unfortunately, but I suspect that when I finally fess up I’ll be more gutted about it than her. She’s really not that in to ‘stuff’. 

Anyway, it’s missing in action, not a confirmed kill. It’ll turn up somewhere utterly random one day. Right next to @Seat68 ‘s Blue Monday.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â