VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Whats the VT consensus on The Bee Gees? 

Just listening to some of their music for the first time in a while and I always forget how good they were. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xann said:

Still living in hope of a velvet 'Odessa' from the charity sector.

You don't fancy a copy of their Australian debut.... Barry Gibb & The Bee Gee's ‎– The Bee Gee's Sing & Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs?

Such an artistic title (The grocers apostrophes are almost missed in the maelstrom of ego)

R-5768418-1623106403-8610.png.jpg

C'mon I know they were brought up in Aus but.... I was a Lover, Leader of Men is either absolutely awful or a cover of a rare Laibach love balad.

My opinion of the Bee Gees, hair you want to shave and teeth you want to punch, sorry but I've never been able to take anyone with hair like that seriously, so there's zero chance I'd ever listen to any of their output objectively. I suspect their soft rock [period was better than the disco era but... mah, the hair is still getting in the way

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

You don't fancy a copy of their Australian debut.... Barry Gibb & The Bee Gee's ‎– The Bee Gee's Sing & Play 14 Barry Gibb Songs?

'Horizontal' perhaps? 'Odessa' yes.

That's about it really.

Don't mind some Disco, but don't own much, couple of comps.

Explore the full lists of the UK’s top 40 best selling vinyl albums and singles below.

The top 40 best-selling vinyl albums of 2021

1. ABBA — Voyage
2. Adele — 30
3. Fleetwood Mac — Rumours
4. Ed Sheeran — =
5. Amy Winehouse — Back To Black
6. Nirvana — Nevermind
7. Queen — Greatest Hits
8. Lana Del Rey — Chemtrails Over The Country Club
9. Wolf Alice — Blue Weekend
10. Harry Styles — Fine Line
11. Sam Fender — Seventeen Going Under
12. Pink Floyd — The Dark Side Of The Moon
13. Oasis — Knebworth 1996
14. Royal Blood — Typhoons
15. Coldplay — Music Of The Spheres
16. Foo Fighters — Medicine at Midnight
17. Arctic Monkeys — AM
18. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying — Back The Way We Came Vol.1
19. Billie Eilish — Happier Than Ever
20. Taylor Swift — Red (Taylor’s Version)
21. Taylor Swift — Evermore
22. Olivia Rodrigo — Sour
23. Beatles — Abbey Road
24. IDLES — Crawler
25. Stone Roses — The Stone Roses
26. Arlo Parks — Collapsed in Sunbeams
27. Beatles — Let It Be
28. Bob Marley & The Wailers — Legend
29. Paul Weller — Fat Pop
30. Oasis — What’s The Story Morning Glory
31. Iron Maiden — Senjutsu
32. London Grammar — California Soil
33. Dave — We’re All Alone In This Together
34. Little Simz — Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
35. Lana Del Rey — Blue Banisters
36. Radiohead — Kid A Mnesia
37. Arctic Monkeys — Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m
38. Inhaler — It Won’t Always Be Like This
39. Taylor Swift — Folklore
40. Snuts — W.L.

Bought nothing from this list during 2021.

There are vinyl copies of No3 and No5 in the house, bought back in the day, they aren’t mine.

There are CD’s of No 27 and No 30 somewhere out the garage.

Other than that, zip.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bought nothing from this list during 2021.

There are vinyl copies of No3 and No5 in the house, bought back in the day, they aren’t mine.

There are CD’s of No 27 and No 30 somewhere out the garage.

Other than that, zip.

I Bought one, the Radiohead Kid A Mnesia reissue. I have 5 of the others mentioned on one of those is on vinyl, Legend by Bob Marley (which was only bought for DJing purposes)

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Fleetwood Mac — Rumours

This is all getting quite amusing. When CDs first came out, there were a bunch of 'classic' albums that people went out and bought all over again - Rumours, Kind of Blue, Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, etc. The mantra was: "If you've only ever heard this on vinyl, you'll be amazed how great it sounds on CD". Fast forward to 2021 and many of those same albums are being pushed with: "If you've only ever heard this on CD, you'll be amazed how great it sounds on vinyl". 

P. T. Barnum would be proud. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

This is all getting quite amusing. When CDs first came out, there were a bunch of 'classic' albums that people went out and bought all over again - Rumours, Kind of Blue, Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, etc. The mantra was: "If you've only ever heard this on vinyl, you'll be amazed how great it sounds on CD". Fast forward to 2021 and many of those same albums are being pushed with: "If you've only ever heard this on CD, you'll be amazed how great it sounds on vinyl". 

P. T. Barnum would be proud. 

It's not quite that, a lot of these sales are to first time younger buyers, they are sales to people who buy records. The kids today have a much wider spectrum of listening than you or I ever did, they aren't just listening to newish material. Sure there are some people rebuying it but that isn't the case for a lot of them.

• Like 2

Regarding Bicksters point, Fleetwood Mac in particular are very popular with the youth, and by youth I mean under 35s. My daughter's circle of friends, if I had to guess, all of them listen to Fleetwood Mac. My thinking is Stevie Nick's and her being a great role model to young women. Otherwise I am not sure where this resurgence of interest has come from. 

As someone who has (almost) no vinyl, I’ve always assumed, probably incorrectly, there’s a percentage of people who buy LPs of classic albums, not primarily to listen to them, but to just kinda own them as a statement. Particularly if it has a classic or interesting cover. Kinda like owning a copy of “Finnegans Wake” just to look cool and interesting, but not actually to read the damn thing.

Obviously I’m saying it would be a small percentage, but do they exist? And if so is it probably like 0.5% of vinyl collectors rather than 5%?

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As someone who has (almost) no vinyl, I’ve always assumed, probably incorrectly, there’s a percentage of people who buy LPs of classic albums, not primarily to listen to them, but to just kinda own them as a statement. Particularly if it has a classic or interesting cover. Kinda like owning a copy of “Finnegans Wake” just to look cool and interesting, but not actually to read the damn thing.

Obviously I’m saying it would be a small percentage, but do they exist? And if so is it probably like 0.5% of vinyl collectors rather than 5%?

I think most of these people that own vinyl and don't open them are collectors, it won't be people buying say Rumours or Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits, the one's that will go unopened are the supposedly rare limited editions (which often aren't that rare or limited). There will be people who have bought Kid A Mnesia and not opened it, in the hope that it rises in value (it won't - much, there's loads of them) - vinyl speculators if you like. They might realise in about ten years time when they want to realise their "assets" that they aren't worth anything like they imagined they would be.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m sure they must exist.

Personally, I don’t know any, not now not ever in the past.

I’ve known flippers, a version of what Bicks has mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â