VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Ah here's the tune that got me into Sigur Ros, which might just be the last band I discovered through John Peel now I think about it. Turns down the lights and just listen to this with no distractions and the volume quite high, if that doesn't make your spine tingle, you have no soul. It still gets me even to this day, it's just magical

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh look its that band people claim to have never heard of in a totally depressing trailer for a series no-one ever watched

Never watched BBC planet earth but even if I had unless the band appear through the music wearing t-shirts saying we are Sigor Ros , why would I have heard of them ?

I’m currently watching France 24 , they played some music between segments , would you expect me to know who the band is ? 

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

Me and @blandy once saw Radiohead and Sigur Ros as the top two bands on the Bill at Rock Werchter and that wasn't the best gig we ever saw by Sigur Ros, that in my opinion was at The Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool and it still ranks as one of my top ten best gigs ever, the accoustics and the setting made it totally wonderful.

We did, and I concur. It was incredibly good, that Philharmonic gig. As close as makes no difference to the best I’ve ever been at. Maybe Arcade Fire, maybe one of the smaller venue ones, but…tremendous.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Ah here's the tune that got me into Sigur Ros, which might just be the last band I discovered through John Peel now I think about it. Turns down the lights and just listen to this with no distractions and the volume quite high, if that doesn't make your spine tingle, you have no soul. It still gets me even to this day, it's just magical

I am by no means at all a Sigur Ros fan but this was also the tune that made me appreciate them. A beautiful tune, like a warm sound shower. Gorgeous. 

• Like 3

On 17/12/2021 at 21:58, KentVillan said:

What are some studio recorded songs/albums where the production really captures the live vocal sound? Where you feel like you're in the room with them?

... very natural sound with a big of room echo and you get that feeling that there's a lot of space in the mix, if that makes sense?

For the past couple of weeks I've been investigating this. I started by scrolling through my phone and stopping at artists where they have a distinctive and/or strong voices and also then picked acoustic type tracks or albums, mostly. Quite a few I then ruled out because listening closely revealed production or mixing which added a bit of reverb, or dubbed on layers in the background that took the song(s) away from a pure live sound. Good headphones helped, and while I was meandering around on walks and stuff, I sometime diverted off into albums I wouldn't have thought of.

For me my obvious starting point alphabetically was Agnes Obel. Her first 2 albums in particular Philharmonics and Aventine.

Broken Twin, too.

The Dresden Dolls - Coin Operated boy is another.

So, the next direction is more like the Surfer Rosa type stuff, and Sonic Youth spring to mind, particularly when Kim Gordon is on the vocals.

The album doesn't sound "live" as such, but the vocals do. Same as with Pixies.

The next thing I did was see if any albums recorded in the studio sounded like they were recorded as a one take, no fancy mixing, kind of gig, which could be also kind of "badly produced". Maybe not quite the question you asked, but still, here's an example

And a last one for now, as it's stopped raining and I can go out, here's a track that for the first minute and a half, or so, sounds like it was recorded downstairs from a gig, or through a wall, before (I think) meeting the test you set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing @blandy thank you!

The Sonic Youth track is a very good example. I think it’s when you can hear the separation between the vocalists and the instruments coming from different parts of the room, so you get that sense of space. Sounds a bit pretentious but struggling to describe it properly!

• Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

Amazing @blandy thank you!

The Sonic Youth track is a very good example. I think it’s when you can hear the separation between the vocalists and the instruments coming from different parts of the room, so you get that sense of space. Sounds a bit pretentious but struggling to describe it properly!

I knew what you meant. To be honest when you posted your question I didn’t immediately set off searching. I actually misremembered it a few days later thinking you’d asked for studio recordings that sounded like live sessions/gigs. Which is why the Fall and Cogs are in my post. When I eventually re-found your post, I restarted my task. There’s a load more I earmarked, but it’s probably too niche to go any further with.

• Like 1

It’s something I always enjoy, recorded music where you can listen to the distinct elements, you can concentrate on clear drums or separated vocals. Kinda like if you wanted to be able to play along. Rather than that ‘over produced’ wall of sound sort of production which is great in its place, but not always on everything.

I’ve been listening to El Goodo recently, I think they sort of have that thing where it sounds like it was ‘recorded live’ as it were. 

That Fall track, the whole album you can hone in and just listen to the bass playing, I love that.

• Like 2

Hmmm, there’s an album I’ve really wanted that never got released on vinyl, and now, finally it is getting a very limited release, 250 copies.

Trouble is, I’ve never been much of a completist and part of me thinks I am getting this out of some sort of completist urge.

It’s finally there to order on Bandcamp, but its £20, plus £4 for delivery and doubtless right at the end another £4.80 chucked on for VAT so I can see it costing close on £30… and its 28 minutes long, verging on the EP more than the album, and not exceptionally good, just ‘good’.

I’ve written this out in the hope that writing it out finally makes me realise I need to walk away. There will be better bangs for my thirty bucks.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmmm, there’s an album I’ve really wanted that never got released on vinyl, and now, finally it is getting a very limited release, 250 copies.

Trouble is, I’ve never been much of a completist and part of me thinks I am getting this out of some sort of completist urge.

It’s finally there to order on Bandcamp, but its £20, plus £4 for delivery and doubtless right at the end another £4.80 chucked on for VAT so I can see it costing close on £30… and its 28 minutes long, verging on the EP more than the album, and not exceptionally good, just ‘good’.

I’ve written this out in the hope that writing it out finally makes me realise I need to walk away. There will be better bangs for my thirty bucks.

Is it SFA related or Alabama 3? If not, just walk away, but if you are going to dwell on it, act sooner rather than later, 250 is a very limited run. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is it SFA related or Alabama 3? If not, just walk away, but if you are going to dwell on it, act sooner rather than later, 250 is a very limited run. 

It’s ‘Lots of Dots’ by The Pale Blue Dots, a seven year old album from Bunf, ex of SFA.

I’m ok with not having everything all the members of the band have ever released, I’ve probably got less than half of Gruf’s solo work, but I’ve got nothing at all by The Pale Blue Dots, and 250 is a very low number and it could be an easy win in a pub boasting game. But that shouldn’t be a reason for spending £30.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s ‘Lots of Dots’ by The Pale Blue Dots, a seven year old album from Bunf, ex of SFA.

I’m ok with not having everything all the members of the band have ever released, I’ve probably got less than half of Gruf’s solo work, but I’ve got nothing at all by The Pale Blue Dots, and 250 is a very low number and it could be an easy win in a pub boasting game. But that shouldn’t be a reason for spending £30.

Agreed, that said you snooze and it's gone. Answer me this, let's say you popped to Spillers on Saturday and they had it around that price, would you buy it?

• Like 1

I think at least a part of me is hoping they can’t shift 250 units via Bandcamp and Spillers end up with a dozen.

At which point, yeah, I’d buy one without hesitation some weeks depending on mood and bank balance…

Hmmm.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â