VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

That was after you confessed to posting for effect and complained about the topic being unwelcoming.

Confessed to posting for effect? 

You're right back at it again Bicks. 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

What an album, what clever packaging, bugger to store

In a nutshell that. It's a superb album. Surely a huge loss for the record company though. Heavily caveated but my favourite Jason Pierce album that isn't a Spacemen 3 album. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Heavily caveated but my favourite Jason Pierce album that isn't a Spacemen 3 album. 

Yep, if you were to pick one Spititualised album for a collection, that would be my choice every time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve got the Bagpuss CD and that came in a hardback book format.

Impossible to store with other CD’s, so it rarely gets played.

I have a Belly CD in the same format. Bloody irritating. 

55 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have a Belly CD in the same format. Bloody irritating. 

The king of absolutely brilliant albums that are awkward to store....

R-2499979-1518621120-2861.jpeg.jpg

If I take out any other CD in that section, it rolls off the shelf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

Alphabetical Nightmare. 😀

:) Not so much of an issue with boxes, they're easy to pick out.

I don't alphabetise anyway.

Sections at home: Hers, single act/artist titles, Classical, SACD, multi artist compilations, Soundtrack/Production/Library, Electronic/Sampled/Hip Hop, boxes, slip cases, singles and nearest the player is stuff I've picked up recently.

It's worked really well tbf, but CD spines are generally easily identifiable. The same quantity in vinyl and I'd be alphabetising for sure.

I remember an article by Nick Hornby (which possibly was the prototype for “High Fidelity”) where he was saying he ordered his music by first name so Bob Dylan would be under “B”. 

If I remember rightly the reason he gave for this was to avoid things like Dave Matthews Band going under “M” or The Dave Clark Five going under “C”.

I was going to say I’m not that particular, but looking at it now, it turns out I do have The Jimi Hendrix Experience under “J”.

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Fairly strict with alphabetising. Jimi Hendrix Experience for me is J. PJ Harvey the band is under P, when it became just her, it's under H. Don't think I own any Alice Cooper but thats an A for me. I repulse girls and am still a virgin. 

Yeah, it all requires some thought, especially with the 'Solo Artist'/'The Solo Artist Band' dilemma. I've become more pragmatic over the years - it doesn't make sense to me to have the Mothers of Invention albums separate from 'Hot Rats' (which is solo FZ) so they all go under Z for Zappa. 

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, it all requires some thought, especially with the 'Solo Artist'/'The Solo Artist Band' dilemma. I've become more pragmatic over the years - it doesn't make sense to me to have the Mothers of Invention albums separate from 'Hot Rats' (which is solo FZ) so they all go under Z for Zappa. 

I have this issue with Thee Oh Sees / OCS / Oh Sees - they all get filed under T primarily because they were Thee Oh Sees when I first got into them (I don't think of Thee as The which would obviously be ignored), however Damaged Bug go under D as do John Dwyer plus whoever albums (Dwyer always listed first) - they are all John Dwyer btw

Ty Segal - only the acts that name Segal are in S, So Ty Segal and the Freedom band go under S with all the other Ty Segal albums but Fuzz for example are in F

Moon Duo / Wooden Shjips / Rose City band are filed under band name and not Ripley Johnson

Anyway Sections wise in Vinyl I have General / Jazz / Dub and Reggae / On-U Sound (which again causes issues because not everything is on the label - Lee Scratch Perry therefore is present in 2 sections) / Compilations / 12" singles / 7" singles / 10" Records

CDs are General / Compilations

All sections alphabeticised, though I really can't be arsed doin that with vinyl compilations by title, they are filed in a last one to get used goes at the end, so my popular ones all end up at the one end

• Like 1

I was using the download code on some recently purchased obscure elitist stuff and it was so straightforward it made me realise what a bum ache some other companies manage to make of it.

I tapped in the simple address, up came a screen that said ‘put your download schizz in this box’.

I did that and it bounced me to my Bandcamp account and I downloaded it. Idiot proof. Fast.

The only slight downside was in my state of unexpected joy, I mentioned the above to my missus. Who said ‘you have a Bandcamp account?’

• Haha 2

On 27/12/2021 at 20:56, Seat68 said:

It's Sigur Ros. They are not special interest. 

I’d never heard of them until reading the last few pages 

I played a song which basically made Radiohead sound upbeat and happy and another one that sounded like Bjork meets moby

If people enjoy them , good luck to them but I think I’d rather have my cochlea removed than listen to them again 

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I played a song which basically made Radiohead sound upbeat and happy and another one that sounded like Bjork meets moby

If people enjoy them , good luck to them but I think I’d rather have my cochlea removed than listen to them again 

Me and @blandy once saw Radiohead and Sigur Ros as the top two bands on the Bill at Rock Werchter and that wasn't the best gig we ever saw by Sigur Ros, that in my opinion was at The Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool and it still ranks as one of my top ten best gigs ever, the accoustics and the setting made it totally wonderful.

Oh look its that band people claim to have never heard of in a totally depressing trailer for a series no-one ever watched

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Bicks has beaten me to it.

If it wasn’t the song you tried, then play Hoppípolla. One of those where you go “Ohhhhhh that song.”

I wouldn’t exactly call it downbeat.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â