VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Oh right so you were the one taking the piss. 

Not at all.  I didn't suggest it was a shit record. I've no idea what it's like.  I was just making a joke about a pretend scenario where I may be weighing up a choice between buying a relatively unknown probably fairly special interest record against one of the best selling pop records of the year.   Not sure how I'm taking the piss. 

I must say this is always a welcoming thread to drop in on. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Not at all.  I didn't suggest it was a shit record. I've no idea what it's like.  I was just making a joke about a pretend scenario where I may be weighing up a choice between buying a relatively unknown probably fairly special interest record against one of the best selling pop records of the year.   Not sure how I'm taking the piss. 

I must say this is always a welcoming thread to drop I on. 

It's Sigur Ros. They are not special interest. 

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It's Sigur Ros. They are not special interest. 

They must be, Takk only sold 300,000 albums in the UK (Platinum) with music from the album being used in Planet Earth, Match of the Day, Top Gear, Wimbledon, Formula One, We Bought a Zoo...

Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust only sold 100,000 (Gold) in the UK so its probably considered very obscure

Very niche they are

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

So hold on, you initiated a conversation, in which the only criticism of the album you were talking about was that MSP were encouraging people to use Amazon. You then decided to take the piss out of what I was saying (when I was actually agreeing with you about CD/Book format) and you don't find it very welcoming?

Very strange!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

So hold on, you initiated a conversation, in which the only criticism of the album you were talking about was that MSP were encouraging people to use Amazon. You then decided to take the piss out of what I was saying (when I was actually agreeing with you about CD/Book format) and you don't find it very welcoming?

Very strange!

I didn't initiate ANY conversation or criticism of MSP encouraging people to use Amazon, that was you, the entire purpose of my OP was purely to say I thought the packaging was a good idea. 

My choice of music was immediately attacked. 

And again why do people keep saying I was taking the piss? 

You mentioned an album I'd never heard of by a band I've never heard of but knowing you will probably be a serious bit of music so I made a weak joke about a pretend Scenario where I nearly bought that but instead bought probably the most throw away bit of nonsense pop music known to man. Maybe I should have put a smiley but it should be perfectly clear that there was never a scene where I had each album in my hand deciding which one to plump for. 

In no way was I denigrating your choice or suggesting it was a poor album by a poor band.  And you lot have now got on your high horse.

What I was taking the piss out of was Dua Lipa, I'll hold my hand up to that.  I was originally going to say Coldplay or Ed Sheeran but I thought I'd go more popy. 

And I am the strange one here? 

Yes it's unwelcoming,  borderline hostile in here. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I didn't initiate ANY conversation

Yes you did

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

criticism of MSP encouraging people to use Amazon

No-one said that was you, that was me

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And again why do people keep saying I was taking the piss? 

Because you said "it was yopur little joke", you actually said it yourself

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You mentioned an album I'd never heard of by a band I've never heard of but knowing you will probably be a serious bit of music so I made a weak joke about a pretend Scenario where I nearly bought that but instead bought probably the most throw away bit of nonsense pop music known to man. Maybe I should have put a smiley but it should be perfectly clear that there was never a scene where I had each album in my hand deciding which one to plump for. 

Your ignorance, no-one else's. SIgur Ros as already demonstrated are not remotely obscure

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In no way was I denigrating your choice or suggesting it was a poor album by a poor band.  And you lot have now got on your high horse.

No one said you did, I'm on my high horse because you came into a topic, started a conversation and then called the topic unwelcoming when it was you that was taking the piss in the first place, nothing to do with music opinions, you taking the piss and then having the gall to call the people active in the topic unwelcoming

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And I am the strange one here? 

It isn't, you were the one taking piss and are now complaining it isn't welcoming, yes thats downright strange

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Yes you did

No-one said that was you, that was me

Because you said "it was yopur little joke", you actually said it yourself

Your ignorance, no-one else's. SIgur Ros as already demonstrated are not remotely obscure

No one said you did, I'm on my high horse because you came into a topic, started a conversation and then called the topic unwelcoming when it was you that was taking the piss in the first place, nothing to do with music opinions, you taking the piss and then having the gall to call the people active in the topic unwelcoming

It isn't, you were the one taking piss and are now complaining it isn't welcoming, yes thats downright strange

If you can read back through those posts and take that away then you are deliberately just trying to put a negative slant on everything I've said.

I suspect what's happened here is people just getting angry because an oink didn't recognise a quality album by a serious band. 

I'll duck out of this conversation now thanks. I really don't have the desire or energy to defend myself any further. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

just trying to put a negative slant on everything I've said.

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep, it's me putting a negative slant on those two statements, silly me for not seeing the rainbows and unicorns they were wrapped in

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep, it's me putting a negative slant on those two statements, silly me for not seeing the rainbows and unicorns they were wrapped in

Well excuse me for getting attacked and not responding with thumbs up and kisses emojis. 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You weren't attacked

I was accused (twice by different posters) of coming in here and taking the piss then had my posts forensically dissected. It sure did feel like I was attacked to me. 

Edited by sidcow

I think I only have the one Sigur Rós album “Takk…” which I kinda assume is the one which would be the most familiar to people. 

I remember liking it, but it’s been years since I gave it a listen. 

Just as an aside, the CD packaging for that album irritates me as it’s one of a few I have which aren’t standard CD dimensions so it doesn’t stand alongside on my shelf properly. I have to lie it diagonally as a sort of awkward buffer between the Sex Pistols and Simon & Garfunkel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I only have the one Sigur Rós album “Takk…” which I kinda assume is the one which would be the most familiar to people. 

I remember liking it, but it’s been years since I gave it a listen. 

Just as an aside, the CD packaging for that album irritates me as it’s one of a few I have which aren’t standard CD dimensions so it doesn’t stand alongside on my shelf properly. I have to lie it diagonally as a sort of awkward buffer between the Sex Pistols and Simon & Garfunkel.

I have a few CDs that don't play the game and for that they are rarely played. That will learn them. I think the spiritualized album I have was in some form of pill blister pack. Was being the key operator here. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That will learn them. I think the spiritaulaized album I have was in some form of pill blister pack. Was being the key operator here. 

What an album, what clever packaging, bugger to store

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was accused (twice by different posters) of coming in here and taking the piss then had my posts forensically dissected. It sure did feel like I was attacked to me. 

That was after you confessed to posting for effect and complained about the topic being unwelcoming.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I heard some Doja Cat the other day. Didn’t find it offensive.

I dont listen to her music at all, but she did do quite a respectable metal version of her song "Say So" (even though whoever did the arrangement ripped off a load of Plini riffs). Quite refreshing to see a Pop artist dipping their toes into the heavier side of the spectrum occasionally.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â