Breakaway League

Jareth

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Players will be nervous about how they'll be perceived on this. Players still like to go out and play golf and eat in public with their families, they have kids that go to school - if they're getting constantly criticised by everyone they meet in the street, then they're going to be unhappy, if their kid is coming home from school in tears cos little Pete in their class said their daddy is a scab, then it's going to affect them - they still have to live a little in the real world, we can hope that anxiety transfers into some sort of action - players can make a difference.

The owners are completely isolated, but players will suffer and they won't want this.

report jimmy valmer GIF by South Park

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t disagree more, with the cherry on top that the public want it so extra credit points.  They will do this because they will get brownie points after a mixed covid response.  Easy win for them.  Plus most of these politicians are footy fans so will agree with the fans view.  This is a win win for them!  Expect a media show from the government on this.

Mixed covid response? - they are currently ahead in the polls, the vaccine rollout has gone better than anyone expected, and weekend polling saw the government's handling of the covid crisis move back into positive figures.

This will most likely die as the current proposals stands - but creep in by the back door over the next few years.

Just now, pacbuddies said:

If players from these 6 clubs are banned from playing for England in the Euros then Southgate can take Mings, Konsa, Cash, Targett, Grealish & Watkins and build a team around them!

he wont, he will find a Mason Mount lookalike from the Reading academy and build the team around him

I dont like this from Purslow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56812305

There was quite unanimous sadness, anger and disgust'

f6ea3c69-98f2-4657-9128-35fca1ac6b38.jpg

Aston Villa

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow has been speaking exclusively to the BBC after today's Premier League meeting with the other 14 clubs that have not signed up for the European Super League.

Here's what Purslow, who has held similar roles at Liverpool and Chelsea, said:

"The board made it quite clear they are contemplating the most severe of sanctions against these six clubs because they have behaved in a way that self evidently damages the league as a whole and their 14 fellow shareholders - all I can see is that there was quite unanimous sadness, anger and disgust at the events of the last few days against every single one of these clubs."

He added that they clubs could "in theory" be expelled, but "no one wants to perform an act of self harm".

"What we need to find is a way to enable these two tournaments to thrive and they won’t be better off without those clubs," said Purslow.

Sounds like they are ready to cave in to some symbolic concessions

Edited by sidcow
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

The one thing I don't get is the new Champions League makes it almost impossible for these clubs not to qualify anyway.  They'd have to be shit for a few seasons to completely miss out as I understand it.  They get more guaranteed matches against other big European teams as a result, but enough cannon fodder to make sure they aren't seen to be at the bottom of the group of clubs and retain their coefficient or whatever it's called.  Absolute **** morons, the lot of them.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The one thing I don't get is the new Champions League makes it almost impossible for these clubs not to qualify anyway.  They'd have to be shit for a few seasons to completely miss out as I understand it.  They get more guaranteed matches against other big European teams as a result, but enough cannon fodder to make sure they aren't seen to be at the bottom of the group of clubs and retain their coefficient or whatever it's called.  Absolute **** morons, the lot of them.

I'm not sure on the details but I don't think there'd be anything close to 15 reserved spaces for "elite" clubs, and even these would presumably be tied to performance over a few seasons rather than held in perpetuity.

Still terrible proposals mind you.

40 minutes ago, hoaxn said:

635b0-16164207409683-800.jpg

I hope it turns out the same way. Good novelty laugh for a couple of years and then it burns itself to the ground.

Yeah but still the biggest ever faction to ever be in any wrestling franchise to this day, be careful what you wish for it. I do remember to my days when I were a kid watching nwo, they must of reached artound 40 odd members, you do not want them gaining that much traction.

If your talking burning itself out, you need these clubs coming in and losing an awful crap load of money quick to the point some do a U turn because there project fails.

They saying the average fan could be paying 10k a season, that's is cracked up..

I'd just like to point out the "new" champions league is also just as shit as this super duper league. That of course will be lost in the fallout from all of this. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

They saying the average fan could be paying 10k a season, that's is cracked up..

I wouldn't pay £10k a season to watch football even if I was a millionaire. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mixed covid response? - they are currently ahead in the polls, the vaccine rollout has gone better than anyone expected, and weekend polling saw the government's handling of the covid crisis move back into positive figures.

This will most likely die as the current proposals stands - but creep in by the back door over the next few years.

I meant the first part of covid response had negative results but yes the vaccine rollout has been excellent.  As you say the government has only just moved back into positive polling.  They would love another quick win like this.

As for creeping back...no doubt but they may have screwed up so bad this time that anti competition laws maybe enacted to restrict what a second plan could be.  They should’ve snuck in first time but they were too greedy.  Going balls to the wall as they have done this first time has/will back fired badly and hinders whatever their second attempt will be and likely when

When this fails, UEFA and the government will tightening up and putting extra locks on the safes to make it harder next time.  The ESL have really shot themselves in the foot here.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Extract from Alan Sugars autobiography. 

Alan.jpg

Spot on.

Every time there has been a new TV deal there are always theories of who can afford what etc but ultimately the same pattern repeats just inflating the prices to account for the additional income.

There's a great thread on reddit which ranked transfer fees as a percentage of income rather than just the raw sum which I thought was very interesting, possibly the wages which are more of an issue now then the upfront fees:

At this point, I'd like to see UEFA call a halt on all football activities until this is resolved. It's really very hard to care about games in the current environment.

I might go to Villa Park tomorrow in order to protest, it means I'll most likely miss the game, but the game seems somehow unimportant.

[/Morrissey flounce]

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

If we do manage to shut this down, the priority should then be putting systems in place that make this kind of treachery impossible in the future. My preference would be chasing the parasitic scum out of the game entirely, but the 50+1 approach should be the minimum we aspire to, IMO.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â