Breakaway League

Jareth

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think they're proposing that as a rival to the Super League - if we can't stop it, we'll put in place a richer competition.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a d*ck measuring contest

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

A couple of Norwegian law professors have written in our biggest newspaper that UEFA and/or PL can’t legally exclude/expell SL players/clubs, citing some EU court ruling in favour of a couple of Dutch speed skaters as presedence. Am I being overly arrogant in thinking these two professors are a)very naive and b)talking our their rear ends? 

That was over a breach of EU laws which the England no longer deals with 

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

A couple of Norwegian law professors have written in our biggest newspaper that UEFA and/or PL can’t legally exclude/expell SL players/clubs, citing some EU court ruling in favour of a couple of Dutch speed skaters as presedence. Am I being overly arrogant in thinking these two professors are a)very naive and b)talking our their rear ends? 

Firstly, UK law is no longer part of EU law so quoting precedence for the 6 English clubs with a Dutch case won’t do any good. The UK and EU lawmakers can just create a new law, and it seems like there’s a big push universally for this to happen.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Firstly, UK law is no longer part of EU law so quoting precedence for the 6 English clubs with a Dutch case won’t do any good. The UK and EU lawmakers can just create a new law, and it seems like there’s a big push universally for this to happen.

Excellent.

Mr Burns GIF

8 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Uefa apparently has their own obscure piece of sporting law that support their own position, from a case relating to another minor sport iirc.

I am optimistic that, although this will bring football into disrepute for years, this will not succeed in its current form.

You need more than international fans and a pot of money to create a top-level tournament.

You need (a degree) of history, you need the top players (I truly believe many will opt out), you need the "legacy" fans (lol) who create the atmosphere which contributes to the CL/top Euro leagues being so popular, you need every big club (not just some), you need past players, established broadcasters and committed sponsors (and there will be huge amounts of boycotting).

This cannot work in its current format. The reputational damage it will have done to each of those clubs will be huge financially, and will offset any financial benefit of joining. I also think they are massively over-estimating the loyalty of international audiences, who are drawn to the Prem/CL etc for the allure, the players, history, fan culture.

Maybe I'm idealistic, but if UEFA stand their ground and threaten to ban clubs/players, I think they will succeed. The lengthy court battle to follow would be too damaging to brands even if it succeeded, and it could well lose.

Milan chief executive Ivan Gazidis, formerly of fellow breakaway club Arsenal, has written to the club’s sponsors outlining why he believes the European Super League will benefit football. Milan, Inter and Juventus are the Italian clubs who have joined plans to be founding members of the European Super League.

We’re confident that this new competition will capture the imagination of billions of soccer fans all over the world and will be a new, exciting chapter for the game. The Super League will provide value and support to the whole soccer pyramid with greater financial resources. [Serie A] will remain the most important weekend competition in Italy and Milan is proud to remain.

Cute

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2021/apr/20/european-super-league-backlash-builds-against-breakaway-plan-live

You could argue the most likely United, Liverpool players to turn their back on ESL are the English ones. If the UK government prevents work permits for leagues unrecognised by UEFA/FA, they could prevent United, Liverpool replacing these players.

Again, maybe I am idealistic, but would be fooking funny if this were to pan out in this way.

Just on the idea of Spurs and Arsenal as whipping boys with nothing to play for.

They'd be in one of two ten team conferences - and in each of those conferences, you'd assume there would be six of the twelve founder members, plus one or two of the second tranche (the currently undecided three teams) and then there would be two or three of the 'guest' sides, who would be considerably weaker.

So that means over eighteen games, Spurs might play three guest sides twice, one second tranche team twice and ten games against other founder members.

The top four go through to the playoffs - you'd expect the founders to beat the guests, so you wouldn't expect Spurs even if they stay shit to finish lower than 7th in their division and they'd look to pick up a point or two from the other games. With fourth the target, it's unlikely that they'll find themselves with nothing to play for until right at the end of the season. 

The principles for the founders are very good in terms of maintaining interest and generating income by keeping people interested - it's just that bit about destroying all football outside of the Super League, ending the dreams of millions of supporters, ignoring fans and abandoning 150 years of history that's the catch.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â