Breakaway League

Jareth

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

Surely you have to kick them out the PL. You can't let these teams have their cake and eat it. 

I know there will be short-term pain. Sponsors/Sky will scream and demand rebates, etc - but it's for the long-term good of the domestic game. There is literally no point these sides being in the same league as the rest.

If you can't stop the Super League, let these clubs become plastic franchises streaming content to Asia. Football existed before Sky branded it. Protect the integrity of the game and people in the UK will watch. I personally won't really miss having 100k Egyptians commenting on every Facebook post. 

Yep, let's get back to the old ways. 3 PM kick-offs, jumpers for goalposts, and eccentric local millionaires who have invented acrobatic ways to score goals for chairmen. 

• Like 2

think about the coaches/managers. if they have a crap season, say arteta for exmple and gets fired, that's him finished in the game, he couldn't come back. Isn't the average term for a coach about 4 years. That's it they're finished after

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

If FIFA and UEFA are clever they can get the best players to turn their backs on the ESL. If there's not enough internationals to play their world cup what they gonna do. As I've mentioned before short term pain but with long term gain.

The World Cup is a pipe dream from them. How many English players play in the 12 teams now,  would probably struggle to get a balanced team with enough for a bench unless they make an African All Stars team or Great Britain XI for the World Cup

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Carragher said last night he would refuse to commentate on any ESL game which did slightly sway me over to it to be honest.

He made some good points last night but whenever I hear him speak I can't help but think "you spit in little girls faces" and any respect for him and what he's saying disappears, no matter how much sense it makes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

The clubs as a legal entity belong to the owners. The clubs as a more abstract construct belong to the fans.

Ok, that’s fine. 

So in that case, I take it those who are saying those associated with club (players, managers, staff, supporters) shouldn’t face punishment for the transgressions of the owners would also say that Birmingham City shouldn’t have had a points deduction for the failure of their owners to get their accounts in order? Sanctions should be made against those in charge alone.

It’s apples and oranges to a degree, but I think the point remains. 

I wonder if the PL could tweak its membership rules - so that membership each season isn't a given. If you instigate, support or are seen to support break away factions - then your permission to participate in the following seasons PL  isn't granted.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Okay so, hypothetical scenario.

This whole ESL thing doesn't go ahead, and the PL, UEFA and FIFA decide to hold off on any form of punishment for these "break away" teams until the Summer so the current football season can be finished and players can prepare for the Euros.

If you were the powers that be, what type of punishment would you hand to these clubs? 

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't punish the clubs, I'd punish the individuals - life bans from football activities for the CEO's at each club - so the likes of Woodward and Levy are never allowed to work in football again, and similar punishments for the owners, restricting what they can and can't do in terms of how they relate to their football clubs or banning them from football activities altogether and forcing them into a position where they'd need to sell.

Don't hurt the fans, don't hurt the players, this isn't on them.

Announce that all Premier League owners will be subjected to a new Fit and Proper Persons Test, and have one of the criteria on the test be 'have advocated for or organised unsanctioned footballing competitions', ie force them to sell.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do agree but i think the clubs need a punishment as an example for the future 

totally agree

but anyone that thinks it won't just be brushed under the carpet and forgotten about is deluded. nothing will happen to them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'd just like to clarify that I have not been involved in any discussions with the European Super League and have no intention of working with them.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have been in discussions with the European Super League. The football family must stand together in this challenging times and remember it is all about the oodles of cash and social media streams in Asia.

Statement ends

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

So it turns out that the only reason they're inviting five clubs into the league every year is so that legally that means it's not a closed shop and they believe it means they can't be classed as a cartel under the law. 

and that pretty much shows how they've considered every legal angle to make sure it can't be stopped by legal means.

LOC? League of Champions?

See, if they launch this and just give a huge chunk to the bigger clubs, they're giving them exactly what they want. They need to get on the front foot and say actually, you're getting less than before.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So it turns out that the only reason they're inviting five clubs into the league every year is so that legally that means it's not a closed shop and they believe it means they can't be classed as a cartel under the law. 

As others have suggested, I just don't see how those 5 clubs being invited could ever work. Any big european teams won't go because it means they can't play in the Champions League.

So it'll either be random small european teams or, more likely imo, teams from the rest of the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

So it'll either be random small european teams or, more likely imo, teams from the rest of the world.

Still won't happen. FIFA have condemned it and will support UEFA. Exactly the same sanctions will apply to any other teams in the world

Join the circus for a year and you are buggered

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Deano speaking very eloquently here and sums things up a treat.

Deano out still? Guys just bought himself another 5 years minimum as far as I'm concerned. Give him the keys to the city give him your wives (not sure he'll want mine the wench) give him what he wants.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

LOC? League of Champions?

See, if they launch this and just give a huge chunk to the bigger clubs, they're giving them exactly what they want. They need to get on the front foot and say actually, you're getting less than before.

I think they're proposing that as a rival to the Super League - if we can't stop it, we'll put in place a richer competition.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think they're proposing that as a rival to the Super League - if we can't stop it, we'll put in place a richer competition.

Exactly what happened in cricket with the ICL being usurped by the IPL. 

Question though where the eff are UEFA getting that kinda...... Oh yeah.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â