Breakaway League

Jareth

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would be more competitive but of a lower standard. A championship 2.0.

Depends if you think that is a good or bad option.

Whether it would be of a lower standard remains to be seen. That depends on how the players themselves react

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Whether it would be of a lower standard remains to be seen. That depends on how the players themselves react

And there are already ripples starting to show.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There's only two ways it improves our league.

1. It goes ahead, players don't want to play in it so they all flock back to the normal domestic leagues and we all carry on as normal without those teams.

2. It doesn't go ahead and the teams are all heavily heavily punished for their involvement.

I can't see how any other scenario will improve our league. It will make it significantly worse.

Not all the players will remain at the ESL especially if international sanctions are bought in for these players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

a good option

If the breakaway happened then yes  the clubs could cherry pick the best players from the carcass of European football. However this would be limited somewhat as I doubt UEFA would allow loans back from the ESL so unless a lot of players would be happy to sit on the bench and never play there is going to be  a limit of talent leaving with just 20 teams.

Chelsea's entire loan system for example may have to be scrapped.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It would probably more fun. But I think in the grand scheme of things it would be incredibly bad for the league.

I actually enjoy us being in a league where some of the best players and the best teams in the world play. I still dream that we'll eventually work our way back up to the top table and be part of that elite group of teams that get to play in the Champions League every year.

I don't see a scenario where all of the top players in the world go and play in a closed league for Man Utd et al and we're left to play in the significantly weaker English "top flight" can be a good thing. We'd basically go the way of scottish football. A huge decline in standard and any players worth their salt will just move on to the ESL.

It would be shit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not all the players will remain at the ESL especially if international sanctions are bought in for these players.

Hence option number 1 in the post you've just quoted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if we are staying silent whilst Wes Edens is on the phone to some of his US chums to see if we can get in on the act :lol:

Purslow already slammed it as against the spirit of the game and unsporting

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If the breakaway happened then yes  the clubs could cherry pick the best players from the carcass of European football. However this would be limited somewhat as I doubt UEFA would allow loans back from the ESL so unless a lot of players would be happy to sit on the bench and never play there is going to be  a limit of talent leaving with just 20 teams.

Chelsea's entire loan system for example may have to be scrapped.

Will they then buy multiple clubs in various countries and set up other more minor ELS leagues to support their loans?  Various of them already own lesser teams.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Hence option number 1 in the post you've just quoted

If FIFA and UEFA are clever they can get the best players to turn their backs on the ESL. If there's not enough internationals to play their world cup what they gonna do. As I've mentioned before short term pain but with long term gain.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has anybody except the deluded 12 actually came out and supported this 😂

A few business analysts, but even those have added 'buts' in respect of it being a massive overhaul of the way of European football and the social and community aspect of things.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See I think the ESL6 will crack.  The 14 members know they have everybody behind them from the government, media, players and the fans.  They can threaten anything and will get support.  The government can introduce news laws and given both sides of the aisle are in agreement it could pass very quickly.  ESL6 are about to hit a brick wall and no lawyering is going to help them.

They back down - look at where they went wrong, then in a few months time try again - maybe more covertly. You won't stop money mad megalomaniacs trying to squeeze more money out of there assets - its what they do. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

If FIFA and UEFA are clever they can get the best players to turn their backs on the ESL. If there's not enough internationals to play their world cup what they gonna do. As I've mentioned before short term pain but with long term gain.

That's the best scenario to be honest.

But it's a huge gamble to just let it happen and hope the players come back. Money talks.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â