Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

This is what I don't really understand. There's a quote from one of the executives involved to say "this isn't what we signed up for". What on Earth did they think they were signing up for? Did they expect that the media and supporters would be perfectly happy with their plans to ruin football?

Anybody who takes a step back from this now shouldn't be lauded for doing so. They should be punished for attempting this coup in the first place.

Yep if they backtrack they should still be punished, OK i think a lesser punishment but still severe enough. 3 year transfer ban 

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Almost sounds like some of the teams signed up for discussions about a Champions League alternative, not an absolute confirmation they were participating. Who knows! 

then they are complete idiots :D

Just now, Genie said:

Simon Jordan saying these clubs need this because they are losing money (due to player wages). 
It seems to miss the fact that their wage bills will go up as a result.

Well, they make more money than other clubs. Seems to me like they are completely mismanaging themselves. 

Writing was on the wall for this yesterday  as soon as Parliament let rip, but ( C & B specs on) Purslow was very astute getting onto the news at 8am with Villa’s total condemnation.

When the dust settles and the ESL is history, Villa will be seen as a club that took a leadership role in standing up for English football. Bodes well for the future.

Just now, Genie said:

Simon Jordan saying these clubs need this because they are losing money (due to player wages). 

I think this is the exact reason behind the move. A lot of the so called big clubs of Europe are financially in a mess (due to Covid, generally poor management etc), not just Barcelona but the likes of Real Madrid have lost a massive amount I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep if they backtrack they should still be punished, OK i think a lesser punishment but still severe enough. 3 year transfer ban 

5 year embargo, 5 year ban from European tournaments, 75 point deduction next seaaon

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

...They should be punished for attempting this coup in the first place.

Better to talk them down from the ledge before slapping the cuffs on and taking them to jail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well, they make more money than other clubs. Seems to me like they are completely mismanaging themselves. 

The clubs are also not willing to blame themselves. Its like its UEFA fault that Real pay Hazard and Bale about a million a week or Barcelona are doing similar for Coutinho and Griezmann

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

There is an agreement apparently that no club in the ESL will spend anymore than 55% of income on player wages.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

There is an agreement apparently that no club in the ESL will spend anymore than 55% of income on player wages.

I can see them all falling out with each other when the rule bending starts. 
Are they going to govern themselves? Can’t see that ending well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

How are they going to have an ESL world cup if there are only 20 teams as a player pool for all the countries? There will likely not be enough players of the same nationality for more that 4 or 5 international teams, unless they plan to make it a 5-a-side world cup. 

Yes, this exactly. There are not 11 Egyptians at these clubs, and even if there were, it's very unlikely they would be helpfully distributed one per position.

This ESL World Cup idea isn't real, it's just Perez trying to bullshit his way through interviews.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The dust will probably settle, they will be on the naughty step for a bit , and slowly most of their demands will probably be given to them in the long term in a re-restructured CL.

Yes - Im amazed more people don't see that. Even if this flops - the desire of the owners of those top clubs won't change. They will probably get more or less what they want over the next 5 years.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Surely they will be able to spend less on player fees and wages because their income stream will no longer be dependent on qualifying for european football (by beating 16 other teams over the course of a season in an open competition)

and does this not mean that the "product" that they are so keen to share wiith their emerging markets will actually decline in quality when they no longer have to target the top players?

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

And another by OGS, they will not need top managers when they can't lose whatever happens. This will be a trend.

dont forget Andrea Pirlo as well ;) 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â