Breakaway League

Jareth

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I dont think they care.  The ESL is for the Chinese, Asian, American, Middle Eastern armchair fans.

I think people really need to get their heads around this.  A lot of people just don't seem to get this.  UK fans are small beer now.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

They want to keep hold of the Premier League cash, they aren't particularly bothered about the competition itself. 

So they have a B team to play in the PL while their stars play in the ESL abroad.  

They don't need to finish in the top 4 in the PL as it doesn't matter anymore.  They have so much money from the ESL that even their B team will be better than the main team of the other 14 clubs. In some ways they already are, with some minor exceptions.

imagine if one of them got relegated. championship games are often played on the same night as champions league so theoretically the same night as the ESL. would be funny.

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

They want to keep hold of the Premier League cash, they aren't particularly bothered about the competition itself. 

So they have a B team to play in the PL while their stars play in the ESL abroad.  

They don't need to finish in the top 4 in the PL as it doesn't matter anymore.  They have so much money from the ESL that even their B team will be better than the main team of the other 14 clubs. In some ways they already are, with some minor exceptions.

Think you might be over-estimating the desire for money for many players. The desire to play for their national teams and play regularly is a very big motivating factor for the best players.

I appreciate I am being optimistic, but the jigsaw has to fall so perfectly into place for this to happen, and the backlash is only going to get bigger. For me, it doesn't happen in its current form.

How many current Prem players accept their fate as a traitorous villain for the rest of their careers for more money? I just don't see it. They'd be compromising an awful lot for more money. Their ex pro pals will turn their backs, their fellow pros won't respect them, and nor will the fans.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I just don't get it. Surely they must've anticipated the backlash?

yes but I think its the fact Spurs are the butt of every joke that has shocked him :D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Either yes or that they are so far removed from the standard fans that it is frankly staggering.

Fans are significantly closer financially to most the players than they are the board members at these clubs.

Edited by a m ole

Just now, sidcow said:

How about leaving the PL at 14 teams and have an expanded European competition involving many more teams?   

oooo, i like it!   

Also let's call it the European Super League just to wind up the 12 traitor clubs.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

oooo, i like it!   

Also let's call it the European Super League just to wind up the 12 traitor clubs.

EESL

European Extra Super League.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A nice statement from Roma, with the headline being "Some things are more important than money".

Have we had statements from many European clubs saying that they don't want to be involved?

German clubs are still angry about it, some are pissed the Champions LEague reform went through

Monchengladbach calling out Barca and Real on the debt

• Like 2

Players will be nervous about how they'll be perceived on this. Players still like to go out and play golf and eat in public with their families, they have kids that go to school - if they're getting constantly criticised by everyone they meet in the street, then they're going to be unhappy, if their kid is coming home from school in tears cos little Pete in their class said their daddy is a scab, then it's going to affect them - they still have to live a little in the real world, we can hope that anxiety transfers into some sort of action - players can make a difference.

The owners are completely isolated, but players will suffer and they won't want this.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Uefa apparently has their own obscure piece of sporting law that support their own position, from a case relating to another minor sport iirc.

I think it also seriously underestimates the political and legislative will to stop this from happening. I think it also seriously, seriously underestimates how powerful football’s governing bodies are compared to whatever federation governs international speed skating. I’m also not sure the ruling they are citing legally covers the same ground entirely, but I’m willing to concede that two law professors maybe (just maybe, though) know more about the law than I do. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â