Breakaway League

Jareth

Just now, villarule123 said:

If this breakaway stays the way it is and all these clubs stay in the PL, at the least I will send back/sell my ticket for every game we play against those 6 clubs. There's a good chance I'll give up on football altogether. 

Yeah there's a good chance this could be me done with football. If I'm being honest the changes to the Champions League that were announced are the start of a slippery slope towards automatic qualification for the "big teams" which will inevitably happen at some point if these teams are allowed to continue unchecked. I get that there will always be teams that are more disadvantaged than others but everything about the teams at the top of football at the moment stinks to be honest.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If the combined mental might of Harry Maguire and Jack Grealish can't fix this, then at least we can say we tried everything.

thats when you bring in the skills of Conor Coady or if desperate Ben Mee

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The TV deal will run to 2024 anwyay, so they remaining 14 clubs including some champ clubs could spend the next 3 years adapting to a new dawn.

Even if the TV deal wasn't there I wouldn't be worried. I'm sure these clubs would prefer that to the alternative, which is football is gone.

There is zero chance the TV deal has no break clause in the event of the top teams leaving.  There will be something in there about significant changes to the PL making the deal null and void.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The TV deal will run to 2024 anwyay, so they remaining 14 clubs including some champ clubs could spend the next 3 years adapting to a new dawn.

Even if the TV deal wasn't there I wouldn't be worried. I'm sure these clubs would prefer that to the alternative, which is football is gone.

You'd think Sky will still back the PL without these clubs, as all this is affecting them negatively too. They will never lay a hand in this 'super league' 

Bring in the Scottish teams and the league will be as interesting for the non 'super 6' as it has been for a long time. 

Premier League statement-

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2112093?sf245124304=1

The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. 

The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.  

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is zero chance the TV deal has no break clause in the event of the top teams leaving.  There will be something in there about significant changes to the PL making the deal null and void.  

maybe but was nothing in the contract about ending the season early due to unforeseen circumstances like a pandemic so I would be surprised if it is

I think at the top of the fourteen clubs that are meeting today, there will be utter fury - one of the big aims of the project is to prevent Everton or Villa getting in amongst it - we'll be furious. I think the more ambitious a club is, the more they'll be inclined to anger and I think some will be angry because they know they have nothing to lose.

Lower down though, there are clubs that will think that half of the money they're getting now would still be more than they'd be getting if they didn't play United a couple of times a season - it's the Burnley's and the Palace's we need to worry about, and we only need one or two of those to have been 'encouraged' by the six and the whole thing becomes very, very difficult.

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Premier League statement-

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2112093?sf245124304=1

The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. 

The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.  

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people.

Brilliant statement. 

Purslow is going to be at the centre of plotting to sink this thing, hopefully advising government on exactly how to change the system in ways that benefit clubs like us outside the Big Debt 6 (i.e. debt free and swimming in cash).

Honestly, think Villa will come out of all this smelling of roses, whatever happens. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

maybe but was nothing in the contract about ending the season early due to unforeseen circumstances like a pandemic so I would be surprised if it is

There was wasn't there and refunds were made?  Some of it was made up for by them then being able to screen every game through lockdown. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

not just that though is it, in theory the value of our kappa and cazoo deals are based on the global exposure of playing manu and liverpool 4 times a year, its not purely us that advertise them

all of our sponsorship deals are worth less if these 6 teams are kicked out

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

not just that though is it, in theory the value of our kappa and cazoo deals are based on the global exposure of playing manu and liverpool 4 times a year, its not purely us that advertise them

all of our sponsorship deals are worth less if these 6 teams are kicked out

Yep. But a little less and a rebuild is better than accepting the sport is gone. With time money will come back.

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

`as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules. 

What does this actually mean though? 

Means they don't yet know what they are legally able to do, but they want to issue a 'cease and desist'. They are hoping the breakaway clubs will back down, and trying to save face. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â