Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Anyone who thinks this will have fixed player budgets etc is having a laugh.

United are dong this entirely so they can fully leverage their massive overseas fan base - no way will they want a level playing field with Spurs.

And even if they did, how long for?  Lets say Spurs were really clever and manged to utilise their budget far better.   Meanwhile United and Barcelona are weighed down with a load of Djemna-Djemba signings coming bottom of the league for a few years because they're still badly run.   How long before Man U and Barcelona push for a rules tweak so they can put the super league minnows in their place?

What for? United will get more guaranteed money for being in the competition than for winning it. If they win it every now and then I'm sure they'll be happy, but the win is being part of the twelve.

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

That is actually a really good point. Any team that joins this league will presumably have to leave UEFA competitions and wouldn't exactly be welcomed back with open arms the year later. 

Although the principle of the whole thing irritates me, my enjoyment as a viewer wouldn't be diminished if those clubs were booted from the league.

Our few years in the championship showed me it's just as exciting to watch us play Brentford as Man Utd. There's even the added benefit that we'd be on the right side of the dreadful refereeing decisions.

• Like 3

The Super League Clubs are welcome to start their own league in my opinion, but firstly they should resign there position in their domestic leagues and allow their players the option of release from their contracts if they so wish, as the contract they originally agreed to with the club was signed with the mindet of playing in the current competition format. The domestic leagues around Europe would quickly recover from the loss of these so called "big clubs" as other teams would take up the challenge, it would probably make the leagues more competitive again with a possibility of many different winners emerging rather than the usual 5 or 6 teams. Good riddance to them all I say, let them leave, others will thrive in their absence, For too long the leagues have pandered to these power clubs.

One thing is important, and that is that if this Super League ever gets off the ground, I would hope those complaining now do not sign up to PPV or whatever money making scheme this league has in mind. I stopped my Sky tv subscriptopn many years ago because I felt the money in the game from the TV deals was all being filtered to make the rich richer and divide the competition within the league.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Although the principle of the whole thing irritates me, my enjoyment as a viewer wouldn't be diminished if those clubs were booted from the league.

Our few years in the championship showed me it's just as exciting to watch us play Brentford as Man Utd. There's even the added benefit that we'd be on the right side of the dreadful refereeing decisions.

I don't want this. I just want a sport with zero corruption at any level, however unlikely that is

Now that these clubs will likely be facing severe sanctions in their domestic leagues which will further damage their finances, they will view their super league as a fait accompli, with just the wrinkles to be ironed out. There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for them. They've made their bed.

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I am just wondering if the day Prince William becomes King we may start to get a few advantageous decisions coming our way. We probably still wouldn't get as many Penalties as Man Utd though. 🤣

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So in terms of domestic cups and the Premier league - the midweek's would be out, and there are only so many weekends - this would I guess mean the end of the League Cup and FA Cup replays?

So much for the magic of the cup 

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've been waiting since 1994 to see Villa win the league by virtue of besting the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool et al. If they are gone, the lustre of winning the league is severely damaged, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So in terms of domestic cups and the Premier league - the midweek's would be out, and there are only so many weekends - this would I guess mean the end of the League Cup and FA Cup replays?

Are you talking about the CL reforms or the ESL reforms? My mind is melting.

Regardless of what happens the EFL cup has long been talked about being scrapped which is a shame. If all this settles down and the ESL does not happen it may survive as a competition for teams not playing in Europe, and the semi final being 1 legged. That is the best case scenario.  It makes hardly any money but the EFL wants to keep it.

FA cup replays will be sacked off.  Its been long time coming with it going in the semi finals, then quarters. 

4 minutes ago, NeilS said:

The Super League Clubs are welcome to start their own league in my opinion, but firstly they should resign there position in their domestic leagues and allow their players the option of release from their contracts if they so wish, as the contract they originally agreed to with the club was signed with the mindet of playing in the current competition format. The domestic leagues around Europe would quickly recover from the loss of these so called "big clubs" as other teams would take up the challenge, it would probably make the leagues more competitive again with a possibility of many different winners emerging rather than the usual 5 or 6 teams. Good riddance to them all I say, let them leave, others will thrive in their absence, For too long the leagues have pandered to these power clubs.

One thing is important, and that is that if this Super League ever gets off the ground, I would hope those complaining now do not sign up to PPV or whatever money making scheme this league has in mind. I stopped my Sky tv subscriptopn many years ago because I felt the money in the game from the TV deals was all being filtered to make the rich richer and divide the competition within the league.

I think the TV take up isn't coming from domestic or European shores. It's the far East and they want Bayern v Barclenoa ....every week.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Our few years in the championship showed me it's just as exciting to watch us play Brentford as Man Utd. 

Well playing Brentford and Man Utd is pretty much the same thing for us.  We never **** win!

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I've been waiting since 1994 to see Villa win the league by virtue of besting the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool et al. If they are gone, the lustre of winning the league is severely damaged, IMO. 

Dunno - we beat derby in the 2nd tier play off final - and that was pretty special.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â