Breakaway League

Jareth

The two leagues can’t run side by side, the SL and the PL. The PL is rendered a complete non entity if it allows those 6 clubs to compete with the money they’re getting guaranteed every year by being part of the super league. A competition they don’t need to compete for to take part every year. 

Their position in the PL is now untenable and if that hasn’t hit home yet, it will do soon. If the PL don’t expel them, then football is dead as we know it. There is literally no point in being in the PL.

This is the great reset a lot of people saw coming. I don’t know how this will play out but 99/100 scenarios are bad for Aston Villa. 

A sad day for football. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Imagine a scenario if Villa or any qualifying peasant club win the Super Wank League but aren't allowed to defend their title. Absurd.

Doesn’t even need to be that drastic. Just wait until the bottom 5 clubs in the league are all “founding members” and get to keep their place while the qualifiers get kicked out.

• Like 1

Killed the rest of the season and possibly football in general for me.

Make no mistake the people we're seeing coming out in outrage aren't doing this for the integrity of the sport, its not for the fans or its importance in worldwide culture, they're only speaking up because they don't have a slice of the pie.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rino8 said:

Make no mistake the people we're seeing coming out in outrage aren't doing this for the integrity of the sport, its not for the fans or its importance in worldwide culture, they're only speaking up because they don't have a slice of the pie.

Not sure I agree with that. Gary Neville did not pull any punches and it was heartfelt. If you love and understand and respect  the sport and it's traditions and history etc., you will be outraged by this no matter your personal financial stakes. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Yeah it's easy to be cynical right now but I think Ferdinand, Neville and even Danny Murphy were being honest. (Can't believe I'd ever agree with Danny flippin' Murphy)

Obviously it will be interesting to see if it goes ahead which of them end up commentating on it or being pundits.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Fans should organize and just stonewall their "competition". Don't subscribe, don't stream, don't buy tickets or merchandise. Let them play in the dark.

As was discussed earlier though, do you think they care. When you say “fans” you’re referring to the “real”, unimportant fans. Sadly you/I/we are not the target audience or this league. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The two leagues can’t run side by side, the SL and the PL. The PL is rendered a complete non entity if it allows those 6 clubs to compete with the money they’re getting guaranteed every year by being part of the super league. A competition they don’t need to compete for to take part every year. 

Their position in the PL is now untenable and if that hasn’t hit home yet, it will do soon. If the PL don’t expel them, then football is dead as we know it. There is literally no point in being in the PL.

This is the great reset a lot of people saw coming. I don’t know how this will play out but 99/100 scenarios are bad for Aston Villa. 

A sad day for football. 

Genuine question, why do you think this? I personally think it’ll make English football more competitive and enjoyable. I only see it as bad for us if it crippled us financially, which it might do. Otherwise we can let the likes of Grealish join the Super League if they want, take an overall step down in quality but enjoy a more competitive, more entertaining league. 

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

As was discussed earlier though, do you think they care. When you say “fans” you’re referring to the “real”, unimportant fans. Sadly you/I/we are not the target audience or this league. 

They don't care about us, but their sponsors do - Expedia are taking over as Liverpool shirt sponsor next season - if they wake up to find their twitter full of furious messages from people who won't buy from them because they sponsor Liverpool, they'll make some noise and they will be listened to.

• Like 1

Villa and the other 13 clubs should agree to dissolve the PL, agree a deal with the FA to organise a new 20 team league involving the 14 and 6 top championship clubs and not invite the 6 "big ones".

But that would take balls, and I don't think anyone has them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Villa and the other 13 clubs should agree to dissolve the PL, agree a deal with the FA to organise a new 20 team league involving the 14 and 6 top championship clubs and not invite the 6 "big ones".

But that would take balls, and I don't think anyone has them.

Then that leaves the other C'ship clubs in the lurch, and then the knock on effect down the line. It's a mess. They've killed the golden goose.

It is a lovely opportunity to rethink the English league structure and maybe starting to think about how we let money influence the game and prevent teams becoming too powerful in the future. Let the Super clearings in the woods or whatever they’re calling themselves **** off and then regroup 

• Like 2

.The bad news is relentless these days. Even football isn't a respite. Just as we are coming out of the pandemic, too. These clubs should be ashamed of themselves and I hope their supporters let them have it. 

• Like 1

We had a similar break away comp down here for Rugby League for a while.

Obviously a much smaller scale but these were the ramifications:

- The split wasn't sustainable. They essentially halved the fan base on both sides.

- It finally fell into 1 league competition, as started.

- Some clubs didn't survive the process, and completely disappeared. Others "amalgamated" (could you imagine Villa merging with Blues??)

The clubs involved probably want to be kicked out so they can fully build a real super league structure.

Unfortunately kicking them out is the death of the leagues so I expect this to go through. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Exactly. You'll see games where the 'fans' will be supporting both teams on the pitch, from the comfort of their armchair in Singapore.

And we thought half and half scarves were bad.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â