Breakaway League

Jareth

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The whole thing completely stinks; it creates an American model of sport where it simply cannot exist and essentially ruins football, or what it was, forever.

The main reason it doesn't work is that the clubs own the league, not the other way around - in US sport, the league uses the teams to make money which it then distributes to them - they're one company, The NFL and it's franchises. In football, the clubs are individual companies, if Man Utd can benefit by Chelsea failing, they'll pursue that, it's not a model of parity they're after, they're just looking to concentrate the wealth.

• Like 1

The good thing about this is that it’ll bring a real sense of camaraderie to the rest of the PL. I’ll be too busy hating on the European Super Legendary Hero League teams to worry about whether or not Patrick Bamford is better than Ollie Watkins.

(he isn’t)

• Haha 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Even Fergie has spoken against it and he is Mr Manchester United. Is this a bluff?

Doubt it. I really don’t think the Glazer’s give 2 shits about Sir Alex’s opinion. They are just in it for the money.

• Like 1

Just saw this news. Absolutely disgusted. The backlash will be severe, it already is, and I don't think it will happen. But if it does, the English clubs who leave should be banned from ever coming back, and they will eventually want to. I'm embarrassed that half the owners of the English want-aways are American. As if news of the world these days isn't already bad enough, and that smaller clubs in lower leagues aren't already on the brink. This is just sick. 

Edited by maqroll

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Just saw this news. Absolutely disgusted. The backlash will be severe, it already is, and I don't think it will happen. But if it does, the English clubs who leave should be banned from ever coming back, and they will eventually want to. I'm embarrassed that half the owners of the English want aways are American. As if news of the world these days isn't already bad enough, and that smaller clubs in lower leagues aren't already on the brink. This is just sick. 

The pandemic is helping the idea as I think fans in the stadium would be vocal

• Like 1

The problem with the favoured position of 'just kick them out' - it's my position too - is that the PL has sold television coverage rights, most of the value of which is bound up in the coverage of these clubs. The other 14 clubs may be outraged at the end of their European aspirations, but can Aston Villa afford to pay tens of millions of pounds in returns to international broadcasters? Can the other 13 clubs?

Probably not, so I suspect they'll get away with it.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well for years a lot of people have said that the football model is unsustainable and I guess tonight has shown this. Most of the 12 are not doing this from a position of strength but of weakness with huge debts and massive wage bills to pay for.

Yep a football implosion was coming, wasn't expecting this dramatic but has been a long time in the making 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â