Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

16 hours ago, Jareth said:

At least we aint Arsenal. Still not sure this isn't AI parody

great tactical insight from Lego Pep there.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If we don't get a replacement for Diaby as second striker behind Watkins.

Will that mean we are going to play Rogers or Buendia there, which in turn weakens availability on the wings? Or is Philogene now the wing depth?

I think that position is a quite natural fit for Rogers personally, even more so than on the wing. He's big and can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch, plus has a surprisingly good through ball on him at times too. It's quite a specific role that you don't see used a huge amount these days but he has all the qualities for it. As much as I like Diaby and thought he got underrated by the fanbase at times, it very much felt like he was a wide player having to learn on the job as a second striker, so even if he's far from the finished article I think Rogers there instead might give better balance on the whole.

Then you can have Bailey, Ramsey, McGinn, Philogene, Buendia, SIJ, even Tielemans who have all played as one or more of a second striker, winger or attacking midfielder in their time. It feels like an area of the pitch that is well-covered right now, though I can see why some people - apparently Emery included - like the idea of another player of more star quality in there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think that position is a quite natural fit for Rogers personally, even more so than on the wing. He's big and can carry the ball through the centre of the pitch, plus has a surprisingly good through ball on him at times too. It's quite a specific role that you don't see used a huge amount these days but he has all the qualities for it. As much as I like Diaby and thought he got underrated by the fanbase at times, it very much felt like he was a wide player having to learn on the job as a second striker, so even if he's far from the finished article I think Rogers there instead might give better balance on the whole.

Then you can have Bailey, Ramsey, McGinn, Philogene, Buendia, SIJ, even Tielemans who have all played as one or more of a second striker, winger or attacking midfielder in their time. It feels like an area of the pitch that is well-covered right now, though I can see why some people - apparently Emery included - like the idea of another player of more star quality in there.

Diaby would have fitted in better if we were more of a 4-3-3 team, a friend of mine who untypically for a Liverpool supporter knows his football was hoping they signed him as a long term replacement for Salah. He is a step below but you can imagine fitting the Salah role better than what he was asked to do here.

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think for the most part we'll play Bailey and Rogers off him, with Philogene, Buendia and Ramsey also more than capable - I've never seen the position as a need, more that Felix was an opportunity that Emery saw as too good not to try for.

Agree with this. I’m actually edging towards the idea that we won’t bring in another attacker/forward.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Duran and Carlos at the back... closest thing we have to a bomb squad these days.

Nice to see Pau talking to Ned.

Rogers always looks like he's having the time of his life. Think he's my new favourite player, being a villan and all.

edit: Seems he's not, but despite not being a Villan he just absolutely seems to love it here. 

Edited by MrBlack

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Duran and Carlos at the back... closest thing we have to a bomb squad these days.

Rogers always looks like he's having the time of his life. Think he's my new favourite player, being a Villan and all.

Rogers was a West Brom fan, I’m afraid. I agree though, mad love for him. 

4 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Rogers was a West Brom fan, I’m afraid. I agree though, mad love for him. 

Is this confirmed by a source? I thought his family was but he wasn't?

21 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Rogers always looks like he's having the time of his life. Think he's my new favourite player, being a Villan and all.

I thought he grew up being a west Brom fan?

On 19/08/2024 at 17:06, MaVilla said:

great tactical insight from Lego Pep there.

we'll, If he does miss out once again...He won't have to lament in the dark.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â