Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Remember at the end of Emery's first season, there was a whole thing online made how we were over performing our xG?

Tifo I think it was.  Funny, I've not heard any mention of it since. 🤔

Tbh you must have missed it there's been ongoing discussion about us overperforming XG last season on football forums. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/A38cTvhqAz

On 08/07/2024 at 09:22, one_ian_taylor said:

It's easily adapted to a 442, and in some ways is pretty much what we played at times last season when Cash started right mid. Apart from the Burnley game,  I don't  think it worked that well. 

The big weaknesses with this set up are Cash's crossing, and midfield being a bit lightweight physically (even if Tielemans and McGinn did well against Arsenal). But it's an option

Cash's crossing is just one of a few of his problems in that position. He can't beat a man, rarely spots/executes penetrative passes.

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Looking at our squad, we really need to offload some players.

Assuming we do magically manage to get Felix and offload Duran, we still need a Pau backup (uncertainty around Mings), and a new RCB if Konsa plays RB.

Even if we then got rid of Moreno, Cash & Dendoncker, we have a stacked 25 man squad, with Hayden & Mings it would be taking it to 27.

We need some trimming.

image.png.14b6fa020d01bd3d43200dbadd7cf30f.png

Which two players from your 25 man squad aren't making the Champions League cut?

16 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Which two players from your 25 man squad aren't making the Champions League cut?

Olsen.

and Olsen.

With Olsen as backup.

• Haha 1

On 30/07/2024 at 06:51, MaVilla said:

Looking at our squad, we really need to offload some players.

Assuming we do magically manage to get Felix and offload Duran, we still need a Pau backup (uncertainty around Mings), and a new RCB if Konsa plays RB.

Even if we then got rid of Moreno, Cash & Dendoncker, we have a stacked 25 man squad, with Hayden & Mings it would be taking it to 27.

We need some trimming.

image.png.14b6fa020d01bd3d43200dbadd7cf30f.png

I think Diego Carlos and Konsa is sufficient cover till Mings return. He’s not too far off i think. I wouldn’t get rid of Cash just yet. I think we should keep him for at least one more season with Nedel and Hayden around as back up to learn from him and eventually take over as the two right back options.

I can see Konsa playing less at right back as the season progress and more as our starting centre back with Nedel being that defensive right back option that Unai likes, depending on Nedel’s progress of course. Im hopeful that Hayden finally gets a chance to show his talents as an attacking right back option. 

As for Felix, he is a 10 / second striker. My guess is he will be Watkins strike partner in Unai’s preferred 4-4-2 or through the center/left in other formations. In a situation where we lose Watkins to injury, i think Felix can play up front in a false 9 Firmino type role. Watkins being a freak and never missing too many games makes me think we don’t really need a replacement for Duran if we bring Felix in. 

The only problem i don’t really have an answer for is whether we keep or loan Archer out. Its a good problem to have! We have a deep squad with top qualities in every position. Kamara is not even included in this squad yet!

F690BEE9-F8BE-4A0F-A037-193A01320F89.jpeg

Edited by Shay

5 minutes ago, Shay said:

I wouldn’t get rid of Cash just yet. I think we should keep him for at least one more season with Nedel and Hayden around as back up to learn from him and eventually take over as the two right back options.

What can they learn from Cash that our coaching team can't teach them?

I'll be pretty disappointed if Cash is a regular starter this season. For me the biggest single signing improvement at this point is a defender to push Cash out. If it was a binary choice between that and Felix I would pick the defender all day long and I really want us to sign Felix. Whether a CB or RB depends how the manager wants to play.

If he is starting I'll be hoping he proves me wrong. Just as I was hoping the last 2 times he came back from injury under Emery.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What can they learn from Cash that our coaching team can't teach them?

I'll be pretty disappointed if Cash is a regular starter this season. For me the biggest single signing improvement at this point is a defender to push Cash out. If it was a binary choice between that and Felix I would pick the defender all day long and I really want us to sign Felix. Whether a CB or RB depends how the manager wants to play.

If he is starting I'll be hoping he proves me wrong. Just as I was hoping the last 2 times he came back from injury under Emery.

Another way you can look at it is Unai having him around until he is convinced of Nedel and Hayden as his options going forward. We need to remember that both Nedel and Hayden are young and unproven at this level. We have to be patient, give them chances and let them progress first. 

Edited by Shay

Pre season results mean very little. 

But I'm slightly concerned. With the end of last season momentum was one of us looking pretty awful (valid reasons for this) and if we don't get off to a good start I'll worry that momentum is going to carry over. 

• Like 1

You have to think a back 5 of Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Pau and Digne, brings familiarity and confidence. Onana has looked good, and Tielemans alongside him should be a steady middle. Add Rogers (hot), Bailey, McGinn and Watkins, I have no concerns about picking up a familiar shape on day 1 to start the season and feather in the new players as games progress.

There is still the few key signings to add, but yes, we are short of two or three, and definitely don’t appear much better on day 1 than than last season - no Diaby style impact signings so far.

We are better finding out what doesn’t work in these games than in two weeks time.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

The first match a little over a fortnight away and the starting XI is starting to be pretty clear for me for the first match. The largest question is what we’re going to do with the RCB/RB situation, the CM pairing, and which LB. The most likely pairing is going to be Diego/Konsa but it is definitely a weak link. 

Emi

Konsa-Diego-Pau-Maatsen (but could be Digne)

Bailey-Onana-Youri-Rogers

McGinn-Watkins

We know Unai likes to set-up with the 3 CBs and 1 attacking FB. Last season is was Konsa/Carlos/Torres/Digne. 

Do we think Maatsen is capable of playing the 3rd CB role if Unai wants to invert the set-up and go with an attacking RB (Cash/Kosta) or is Maatsen a straight up attacking FB?

1 minute ago, PeterSw said:

We know Unai likes to set-up with the 3 CBs and 1 attacking FB. Last season is was Konsa/Carlos/Torres/Digne. 

Do we think Maatsen is capable of playing the 3rd CB role if Unai wants to invert the set-up and go with an attacking RB (Cash/Kosta) or is Maatsen a straight up attacking FB?

Think he's more attacking. More of a LB/winger than a LB/CB if that makes sense. Opposite to how Konsa is on the other side. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

No, I think Nedeljkovic might end up being the kind of Konsa RCB / RB player 

Maatsen is too small to play as a CB in back 3

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Cash as an attacking FB over Maatsen? No thanks.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

No, I think Nedeljkovic might end up being the kind of Konsa RCB / RB player 

Maatsen is too small to play as a CB in back 3

Very interested to see how Nedeljkovic pans out. Cautiously optimistic about him.

Maatsen is listed as 5'10" - I think he's given himself a bonus three or four inches there. He's not big enough for a hybrid role - he's a full back/winger.

EDIT: In fact, outside of wiki/google, there are lots of reports that he's 5'6", which seems a whole lot more likely.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Maatsen is listed as 5'10" - I think he's given himself a bonus three or four inches there. He's not big enough for a hybrid role - he's a full back/winger.

EDIT: In fact, outside of wiki/google, there are lots of reports that he's 5'6", which seems a whole lot more likely.

Bundesliga site has him listed at just under 5’6” 

Where the heck did 5’10” come from.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â