Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Looking to our first game of the season away against West Ham I think there are lots of questions right now. This isn’t going to be a David Moyes West Ham, they are going to try control the ball and keep possession. But they know that they have strength in the air and it will be used to the max. 

Depending on the rest of preseason and assuming no more transfers I think we will line out like this:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Maatsen

Tielemans Onana

Bailey Rodgers McGinn

Watkins

I’m not saying that’s the exact position but right now that’s the most appropriate 11. 

Subs: Gauci, Cash, Digne, Enzo, Barkley, JB, Iling, Buendia

I’m assuming JJ isn’t fit enough to make the bench. If he is I’d drop Iling Jr for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Konsa for Carlos and Cash at right back or Ned. Sick of seeing Konsa wasted at Right back, Carlos shouldn't be starting.

I tend to agree with you. But playing both Konsa and Carlos gives us a bit more on set pieces and having three centre backs lets us transition better into a back 3 when we have the ball. Should also give Maatsen the freedom to get forward from the left. 

We can play Cash if we have Bouba as he steps into the back 3 but I don’t think Onana or Youri can do that well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I tend to agree with you. But playing both Konsa and Carlos gives us a bit more on set pieces and having three centre backs lets us transition better into a back 3 when we have the ball. Should also give Maatsen the freedom to get forward from the left. 

We can play Cash if we have Bouba as he steps into the back 3 but I don’t think Onana or Youri can do that well. 

True. I just don't trust Carlos, I like him but despite looking like a monster truck he seems to have  the brain of a fiat punto, he is useless defending set pieces and doesn't win many tackles that aren't fouls, i was hoping Mings would be back, but I think we need another centre back.

Torres reads the game well at times but he's not great at closing down and tackling, you need someone like Konsa or Mings next to him to put their body on the line to make that last gasp tackle, Carlos isn't that guy. 

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Looking to our first game of the season away against West Ham I think there are lots of questions right now. This isn’t going to be a David Moyes West Ham, they are going to try control the ball and keep possession. But they know that they have strength in the air and it will be used to the max. 

Depending on the rest of preseason and assuming no more transfers I think we will line out like this:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Maatsen

Tielemans Onana

Bailey Rodgers McGinn

Watkins

I’m not saying that’s the exact position but right now that’s the most appropriate 11. 

Subs: Gauci, Cash, Digne, Enzo, Barkley, JB, Iling, Buendia

I’m assuming JJ isn’t fit enough to make the bench. If he is I’d drop Iling Jr for him. 

Take the d out of Rodgers and I agree with this team.
You're allowed to have 9 subs on the bench. You have 8. I would put Felix on the bench for his first game. 

On 26/07/2024 at 23:34, OutByEaster? said:

So, there are 29 players there - we can assume Martinez, Konsa and Watkins come straight back in, making 32.

Here's an exercise - pick the twelve players from that list who don't make the bench on day one away at West Ham.

(1) Bogarde (2) Feeney (3) Wright (4) Swinkels (5) Zych (6) Dendoncker (7) KKH (8) Dobbin (9) Gauci (10) Iling (11) Moreno.

Hard to pick a 12th. Archer? Philogene? Kosta? They're the youngsters but I can think of good reasons they would be in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you start an unproven, eighteen year old Nedeljkovic at right back in order to let Konsa play CB or do you start Konsa on the right and risk having all of your senior CB's on the pitch at the same time?

Konsa at CB, Cash or Kosta at RB. Easy choice for me.

I'd guess we currently start Bailey, Rogers and Watkins, but if we sign Felix, which of those misses out?

I'm beginning to think that Felix is a risky and unnecessary luxury because I want those three in the side. But maybe I'll eat my words!

How does Ramsey force his way back in over Rogers?

Rotation. Otherwise, he's going to have a hard time.

Does Maatsen start from day one over Digne?

It will take Maatsen a while to learn the system, but I suspect that it will be tactical after that...Maatsen when you want to get behind the defence, or when you need to defend someone with pace. Digne when you're content crossing from deeper.

Who plays next to Onana? You'd guess it would be Tielemans with McGinn on the right. If so, would that mean one of Barkley, Barrenechea, Ramsey or Buendia doesn't even make the bench?

Tough call. I miss Doug already. I was thinking that they might use Barkley, but it sounds like he's been off his game in the preseason. Your guess (Tielemanns) is probably right.

Given there's likely to only be one keeper on the bench, do you stick with Olsen or go with Gauci?

Olsen.

Where do Cash, Moreno and Kesler Hayden fit in? Does Cash beat Nedeljkovic to second right back, can Moreno force his way past either of the others to become back up left back?

Cash and Kosta are right backs, Konsa isn't, so I have both of them in my squad. Moreno and KKH will probably be sold.

Where do Philogene, Illing-Junior, Dobbin and Archer fit it if we sign Felix and/or a striker - Philogene I guess would back up Bailey, but is there room on the bench for any of the others?

Philogene or Buendia is Bailey's backup now that Diaby is gone. Iling, I've said my part on him already: I have no idea where he fits. Dobbin, don't know; out on loan? Archer might be the backup to Watkins if we don't have anyone else (i.e. Duran goes, nobody else signs); otherwise, they'll sell him again.

Edited by TomC
Fixed typo
  • Like 1

I don't care, what style we play, how we play, or who we select to play......but we have to stop, the defensive errors, That result in goals against.

Pre -season is no time to judge, and fitness is the main objective....but I don't want to go in to this season, with this trait. When the first 11 is selected, I hope this trend stops.

Leaking, avoidable goals will lead to a dead end. It will affect all the other good work, we' re doing. I am sure Unai is well aware, I just want it to stop.

Everyone can have their take on it, and I guess the reasons will vary....but I hope it is confined to Pre-season.

We will lose games, during this season, but we have ensure, its by tight margins and not loose sloppy balls given away, leading to goals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't care, what style we play, how we play, or who we select to play......but we have to stop, the defensive errors, That result in goals against.

Pre -season is no time to judge, and fitness is the main objective....but I don't want to go in to this season, with this trait. When the first 11 is selected, I hope this trend stops.

Leaking, avoidable goals will lead to a dead end. It will affect all the other good work, we' re doing. I am sure Unai is well aware, I just want it to stop.

Everyone can have their take on it, and I guess the reasons will vary....but I hope it is confined to Pre-season.

We will lose games, during this season, but we have ensure, its by tight margins and not loose sloppy balls given away, leading to goals.

I think we will be better defensively with Onana, we played without a DM for three months at the end of last season and he will give us height and aerial presence which should make us better at dealing with set pieces. I think if we sign an upgrade on Carlos or Cash we will be much better defensively, big if though. 

I too agree that we were too easily beaten at times last season, some heavy defeats like the 5-1 v Newcastle, the 5-0 v Palace and the 4-0 v Spurs. I don't want to see many of those again this season and I hope we will fix that. 

I do worry our attack may not be as good this season, Diaby and Luiz's goals and assists may not be fully replaced by unproven youngsters at his level and I suspect we may be heavily reliant on Bailey and Watkins (and Felix if he joins). Everybody is very excited by Rogers but it's still early days and we have to see who is used more out of him, Ramsey and Buendia, although they could all feasibly chip in 10-15 goals between them.

I personally think our goals will come from:

• Watkins: 15-20 goals
  • Bailey: 10-12 goals
  • Rogers: 5-7 goals
  • Ramsey: 3-5 goals
  • Buendia: 3-4 goals
  • Philogene: 2-3 goals
  • Iling Jr: 1-2 goals
  • CMs (Barkley, McGinn, Tielemans): approx 10 goals between them
  • Defenders: 3-5 goals

Around 10 goals less than last season, although this may change if we sign Felix who could add another 5-10 goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Bloody yobs!

In all seriousness, it's good to see Kosta mixing it with the Spanish speakers, it's a good indication that he's not intimidated.

Edited by Tubby

Posted (edited)

Looking at our squad, we really need to offload some players.

Assuming we do magically manage to get Felix and offload Duran, we still need a Pau backup (uncertainty around Mings), and a new RCB if Konsa plays RB.

Even if we then got rid of Moreno, Cash & Dendoncker, we have a stacked 25 man squad, with Hayden & Mings it would be taking it to 27.

We need some trimming.

image.png.14b6fa020d01bd3d43200dbadd7cf30f.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

I do wonder if Maatsen will invert into Midfield in some games allowing for a Winger on Left and Right and allowing one of the CMs to get forward into the 10 half space. 

I think tactical versatility is key for Emery and with Maatsen he has a very versatile player. I also see Maatsen actually underlapping and being in the 10 half space himself. Philogene and Bailey being the wide players in this example

• Like 1

People need to accept we’re not selling Matty Cash. We’ve already moved on two senior players/leaders. You don’t cut the leadership and mentality Cash brings to the team and squad. 

I get he’s not Dani Alves but I wish people would get off his back a bit. He’s a very competent right back

Edited by rodders129
  • Like 2

Cash is a good player and dependable. I can't see us moving him on even though I do think he was one of the players the club would have been open to selling for our valuation. It's too late in the window and not a priority in thinking about selling him now and getting a replacement in.

• Like 1

I don't think we'll move Cash on, and I think he'll play games this season - but it will be a lot more competitive for him this term I think, Nedeljkovic looks a real prospect.

Remember at the end of Emery's first season, there was a whole thing online made how we were over performing our xG?

Tifo I think it was.  Funny, I've not heard any mention of it since. 🤔

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â