Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

If Ramsey is fit and firing he's straight into the team for me. Him, Rogers, Watkins, Bailey then you can pick whichever two CMs you like. It would be Onana and Tielemans at the moment I think.

I think the difficulty with that is that Rogers, Ramsey and Bailey are competing for two spots - and Philogene will also want to bet that conversation (and that's without a potential Felix arrival).

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

In what world does Cash not even make the bench. Buendia has lots of PL experience he's a cert for bench also. 

It's difficult - I mean, it's a lot easier if you put Konsa at CB, but I'm not sure that's where he'll start.

Would you choose Cash over Nedeljkovic for the bench if Konsa starts as the right sided defender?

Buendia over Ramsey and Philogene?

I don't think Cash will be out of the matchday squad either - but there are going to be a fair few miss out.

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why is Gauci amazing? He was in goal for team that conceded fair amount in A-League 

I didn't say he was?

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the difficulty with that is that Rogers, Ramsey and Bailey are competing for two spots - and Philogene will also want to bet that conversation (and that's without a potential Felix arrival).

Would have agreed with this last week but we had a few games where Rogers was LM, Bailey RM and then Diaby/McGinn/Tielemans behind Watkins. Having seen Rogers in pre-season I think he could do the job behind Watkins with how physical he is, also a more controlled dribbler than I gave him credit for. 

I think Ramsey can play LM only, possible we see Rogers shift inside. If Emery has other ideas for that spot then I agree, Ramsey and Rogers are basically rotating the same position.

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I didn't say he was?

Everyone keeps blowing him up just because he's not Olsen with no evidence that he's any better

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Would have agreed with this last week but we had a few games where Rogers was LM, Bailey RM and then Diaby/McGinn/Tielemans behind Watkins. Having seen Rogers in pre-season I think he could do the job behind Watkins with how physical he is, also a more controlled dribbler than I gave him credit for. 

I think Ramsey can play LM only, possible we see Rogers shift inside. If Emery has other ideas for that spot then I agree, Ramsey and Rogers are basically rotating the same position.

I think you're right on Rogers, but I think if he moves forward it'll be at the expense of Philogene or Bailey - I think we'll want to play three 'true' midfielders - two holding and one on the right behind someone who plays just off Watkins on that side.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Would you choose Cath over Nedeljkovic for the bench if Konsa starts as the right sided defender?

Cash over Ned? If Konsa got hurt early in the game, I'd certainly rather have Cash, at least for now, based on experience. If you could give me 100% certainty that Konsa wouldn't get hurt (which, of course, you can't), I might want Ned around as a last 10-minute sub to get him experience.

Buendia over Ramsey and Philogene? Certainly over Philogene as a backup to Bailey if you use him on the right. He's a proven PL player, Philogene isn't, and again, I'm going with experience. If you use him on the left (which Unai seemed to do at the end of 2022-23)...it depends on who else is on the pitch. JJ is more like Rogers (runner), Buendia is more like Tielemans (through ball maestro). If Tielemans is already in at the front-right of the box, put JJ on for Rogers. If McGinn is at the front-right, put Buendia on for Rogers at front-left and give us a different dimension tactically.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TomC said:

Buendia over Ramsey and Philogene? Certainly over Philogene as a backup to Bailey if you use him on the right. He's a proven PL player, Philogene isn't, and again, I'm going with experience. If you use him on the left (which Unai seemed to do at the end of 2022-23)...it depends on who else is on the pitch. JJ is more like Rogers (runner), Buendia is more like Tielemans (through ball maestro). If Tielemans is already in at the front-right of the box, put JJ on for Rogers. If McGinn is at the front-right, put Buendia on for Rogers at front-left and give us a different dimension tactically.

A lot of that makes sense, particularly in the use of the midfielders in replacement to each other - I'm trying to figure out who doesn't make the bench in that situation and I guess it would be Philogene?

Try it - it's amazing to try to pick a first XI and a bench at the moment and then realising who you have to leave out!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why is Gauci amazing? He was in goal for team that conceded fair amount in A-League 

Emi M conceded 61 league goals doesn’t make him bad.

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's difficult - I mean, it's a lot easier if you put Konsa at CB, but I'm not sure that's where he'll start.

Would you choose Cash over Nedeljkovic for the bench if Konsa starts as the right sided defender?

I don't think Cash will be out of the matchday squad either - but there are going to be a fair few miss out.

I think team selection this season, will rely more on, who we are facing…..so that will mean how Unai sees the  opposition.

But of course it’s fun to speculate.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think team selection this season, will rely more on, who we are facing…..so that will mean how Unai sees the  opposition.

But of course it’s fun to speculate.

It's actually difficult to pick a nailed on XI at the minute bar a few players.  We've massively improved our squad depth.

• Like 1

I am encouraged, by the shift in profile of the type of players, we are signing.

I also think he signing hard workers, on top of the talent, which is never a given for me.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A lot of that makes sense, particularly in the use of the midfielders in replacement to each other - I'm trying to figure out who doesn't make the bench in that situation and I guess it would be Philogene?

Try it - it's amazing to try to pick a first XI and a bench at the moment and then realising who you have to leave out!

Cream rises to the top.

Unai has raised the bar, in terms of competition, for places, so the best will emerge.

pre season and the early premier league games, will tell us more.

Personally, I am making no predictions, but I think a few surprises, may surface.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Problem #1 is that they want 2 at each outfield position, so that's 20 + 3 GK = 23. You can only name 20 to your squad (usually 18+2), so, if everyone's healthy, 3 are out.

Problem #2 is midfield, where we have more than 2 per position. We have 9 definite midfielders (McGinn, Tielemans, Rogers, JJ, Barkley, Enzo, Iling, Onana) and 2 who could play forward or MF (Buendia, Philogene).

And if you count Buendia and Philogene as forwards instead of MF, that creates another more-than-2 at a position, because neither are strikers who are going to compete for Ollie's slot, so they're competing for Bailey's slot, which leaves 3 and possibly 4 for that position (Bailey, Buendia, Philogene, Diaby (probably gone), Felix or someone else (possibly in)).

Not to mention that we have three left backs, though it seems obvious to me that Moreno or Digne will be gone. And arguably three right backs not including Konsa, but I suspect that one of Ned or KKH will go out on loan.

I think that players who can play multiple positions have an advantage making the squad because, with 2 GK, you have 18 slots. That means an advantage for the likes of Konsa (RB/CB), McGinn/Tielemans (attacking or defensive MF), Buendia/Philogene (forward or MF).

Given the glut at MF, all I can figure is either (1) they think Iling or Enzo isn't ready and are loaning one of them out (I might include Philogene in this category but it seems unlikely he'd come back if he didn't have some guarantee of PL playing time), or (2) they think that Kamara won't be back until later than we suspect, or (3) they're planning on selling someone.

Of course, every summer when I try to piece together what they're thinking, I'm wrong, so maybe ignore all the above!

Edited by TomC
Fixed number of slots (twice)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TomC said:

Problem #1 is that they want 2 at each outfield position, so that's 20 + 3 GK = 23. You can only name 20 to your squad (usually 18+2), so, if everyone's healthy, 3 are out.

None of this is actually too much of a problem though, because you’ll almost never have a time everyone is healthy. Maybe a handful of games per season. We will have plenty of gametime to go around - a couple won’t step up and will end up shipped out next summer, of course, but that’s always the way.

I agree we need to sell some players though!

Edited by Adam2003

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The Rogers & Ramsey bromance continues… gonna tear shit up this season!

Based on Cash walking up to it, it looks like they might have chartered this plane.

AV Air for the ECL season?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â