Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Don't think he is dropping mcginn, unless his form drops of. Mcginn was clearly preferred over Tielemans last season.

Also having Nedeljkovic (unproven 18 year old) in starting 11 over Cash or Konsa is a bit of a stretch.

Nedeljkovic played UCL football tbf. Age is just a number.

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Nedeljkovic played UCL football tbf. Age is just a number.

So did Wesley and Samatta. Meaningless. No way he starts Nedeljkovic against West ham if Konsa or Cash are fit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Don't think he is dropping mcginn, unless his form drops of. Mcginn was clearly preferred over Tielemans last season.

Also having Nedeljkovic (unproven 18 year old) in starting 11 over Cash or Konsa is a bit of a stretch.

Cash is one the most replaceable players in the team imo. Konsa playing RB was indicative of that. If Kosta proves to be effective both ways (defence/attack), he'll start.

I don't think SJM is a guaranteed starter, but for everything he offers in doggedness, I don't think he beats out Onana or Kamara in CM, so therefore he is competing with Tielemans and Bailey for a position higher up. Swapping with Bailey will be situational and so he's most likely to be competing with Tielemans. It's a nice problem to have.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Or Barkley next to Onana, with McGinn on the bench  in a 4 2 3 1

does look a strong bench

We have so many options in midfield but whatever way you look at it McGinn will start. Either in midfield or tucking in from the left. Unai loves him and I don’t think anyone can replace his energy. 

But great problems to have. 

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Nice attempt, but there is a lot wrong with this.

• Ramsey plays on the left or centre-left, whereas you have him on the right.
  • Likewise, SJM is more likely to play right or centre-right.
  • JPB, whilst versatile, will likely spell Bailey on the WR, rather than join the left rotation with; Ramsey, Rogers, Iling-Jr.
  • We are unlikely to need Cash to play high up on the right, due to the strength already in that area. Naturally, he may (as might Kosta) progress into those areas, but he's not starting as a RM/RW.
  • The same goes for Maatsen. Quite possible however, that both he and Cash/Kosta, play WB in a back 5, but that will be situational e.g. away to a team with a good home record and playing on the counter.
  • Kamara isn't a bench player. He'll start when fit, even if alongside Onana.

Imho, the most likely formation when all players are fit, will be 4-3-2-1

------------------------- Ollie -----------------------

------------------ Rogers ------------- Bailey -

------------------------ Tielemans --------------

--------------- Kamara - Onana --------------

Maatsen - Pau - Konsa - Nedeljković

------------------- Martinez----------------------

Also, I do not mean to be a pedant, but it's quite easy to check the spellings of player names; Rogers, Maatsen, Tielemans, Digne, Kosta (Nedeljković).

As has been pointed out on many previous occasions and not to be a pedent ....but Danny_villaman is someone who struggles a little with his sight .....might be worth a back read ......

5 minutes ago, tommytenjobs said:

As has been pointed out on many previous occasions and not to be a pedent ....but Danny_villaman is someone who struggles a little with his sight .....might be worth a back read ......

It's not fair to assume that everyone would know that and I certainly wasn't picking on him, it's just not who I am.

We all have our challenges, admittedly not all as debilitating. For instance, I myself, am dyslexic. You might often notice edits on my posts and that's because I read them back and fill in all the words I miss, or correct misspellings. 

It's good to know this about @Danny_Villaman84 and I apologise if any offence caused. Community in action.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

We have so many options in midfield but whatever way you look at it McGinn will start. Either in midfield or tucking in from the left. Unai loves him and I don’t think anyone can replace his energy. 

McGinn can slot in anywhere; CM, left, right or as the 10.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Could, we’ll be…..but subs, could be more widely used and gives the manager, a better leaning towards tactics as opposed to energy conservation, which was a huge consideration for him, last season, with all the cruel long term injuries.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2024 at 11:14, Czarnikjak said:

I can see this starting 11 against West Ham (unless some injuries happen or we sign someone significantly  better).

Martinez

Cash, Konsa, Torres, Maatsen

Bailey, Onana, Tielemans, Rodgers

Mcginn, Watkins

Happy with this starting 11? Who would you replace? (I'm assuming here Mings, Buendia and Ramsey are not 100% fit to start the game after hardly playing a game in last 12 months).

That looks about right. But he might start Digne instead of Maatsen just because Maatsen doesn't know the system yet.

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

Cash is one the most replaceable players in the team imo. Konsa playing RB was indicative of that. If Kosta proves to be effective both ways (defence/attack), he'll start.

He will probably make a few appearances as a sub in "safe" situations to get used to the league before he makes a start. Like the other newcomers, he also needs time to learn the system.

Edit: The one newcomer that we're likely to see right away is Onana because he knows the league and he's filling the badly needed role we've needed since Kamara's injury.

Edited by TomC
  • Like 1

The way I see it currently (Presuming Duran/Diaby out, no one else in)

My first XI would be

IMG_2824-min.thumb.jpeg.dbaa388448b2ce72e9629e25fb874f20.jpeg

and then a cup team of

IMG_2825-min.thumb.jpeg.673eff87b1c0c20eeb794c64bcd2dc0a.jpeg

I feel we are stronger, Emi B a lot depends on recovery (as with mings), than last season - especially if JJ gets back to where he was - I can see him, Ollie and Morgz really working together.

We're ridiculously deep - if everyone is fit, then you could have a starting matchday squad of:

Martinez, Konsa, Carlos, Torres, Maatsen, Onana, Kamara, McGinn, Bailey, Rogers, Watkins 

subs Olsen, Digne, Nedeljkovic, Mings, Barkley, Tielemans, Ramsey, Philogene, Duran

That'd give you this team that wouldn't even make the bench in our first choice matchday twenty but you'd fancy to do well in the Championship!

Gauci, Cash, Feeney, Hause, Moreno, Barrenechea, Dendoncker, Buendia, Illing-Junior, Dobbin, Archer

And even then, you've got the likes of Kesler-Hayden, Swinkels, Bogarde and Barry that don't make that side!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're ridiculously deep - if everyone is fit, then you could have a starting matchday squad of:

Martinez, Konsa, Carlos, Torres, Maatsen, Onana, Kamara, McGinn, Bailey, Rogers, Watkins 

subs Olsen, Digne, Nedeljkovic, Mings, Barkley, Tielemans, Ramsey, Philogene, Duran

That'd give you this team that wouldn't even make the bench in our first choice matchday twenty but you'd fancy to do well in the Championship!

Gauci, Cash, Feeney, Hause, Moreno, Barrenechea, Dendoncker, Buendia, Illing-Junior, Dobbin, Archer

And even then, you've got the likes of Kesler-Hayden, Swinkels, Bogarde and Barry that don't make that side!

In what world does Cash not even make the bench. Buendia has lots of PL experience he's a cert for bench also. 

Other than that we have amazing depth I do agree. We are still short at CB though 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

The way I see it currently (Presuming Duran/Diaby out, no one else in)

My first XI would be

IMG_2824-min.thumb.jpeg.dbaa388448b2ce72e9629e25fb874f20.jpeg

and then a cup team of

IMG_2825-min.thumb.jpeg.673eff87b1c0c20eeb794c64bcd2dc0a.jpeg

I feel we are stronger, Emi B a lot depends on recovery (as with mings), than last season - especially if JJ gets back to where he was - I can see him, Ollie and Morgz really working together.

you forgot Barkley!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nice, but for the love of god put Gauci on the bench :;

• Haha 1

If Ramsey is fit and firing he's straight into the team for me. Him, Rogers, Watkins, Bailey then you can pick whichever two CMs you like. It would be Onana and Tielemans at the moment I think.

26 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Nice, but for the love of god put Gauci on the bench :;

Why is Gauci amazing? He was in goal for team that conceded fair amount in A-League 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â