Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's fun playing around with our squad in sort of the same shape we had last year (with the ball) - there's enormous depth in places and some are a little thinner - but there's loads of quality.

I've gone first, second and third elevens here and still had to leave out Sinisalo, Kesler-Hayden, Chrisene, Revan, Sousa, Rico Richards and Louie Barry. I've assumed Hause is unavailable and not included Kamara.

(don't get too hung up on the picks - I was just playing with our depth).

First team:

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.30.57.png

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.32.43.png

Third Team

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.43.42.png

Justice for Buendia! Free Buendia! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Justice for Buendia! Free Buendia! 

Ah balls!

And that, my friend, is how big our squad now is - I've lost an Argentinian international down the back of the sofa!

(Stick him in the second team and push Diaby up top).

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah balls!

And that, my friend, is how big our squad now is - I've lost an Argentinian international down the back of the sofa!

(Stick him in the second team and push Diaby up top).

Easily done. He is small. 

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2024 at 11:24, OutByEaster? said:

Some big choices and decisions ahead this season; does Maatsen come straight in and start over Digne, do we start Barrenechea and Barkley or are we looking to buy, will Mings and Buendia come back in, where do we play McGinn and Tielemans, do we play both Bailey and Diaby, does Rogers start over Ramsey, who plays right back, where does Illings-Junior fit in?

It's a squad at the moment full of overloads in some positions and holes in others and while I expect us to buy in CM, CB and up front - it's already looking like there will be some pretty familiar names who don't make the matchday twenty on the opening day.

I think meritocracy will reign supreme moving forward.....Training ground/ pre season friendlies, observations  will dominate the early selections, and from there,  match day performance, will dictate.

I think there will be less reliance on " no choice" but to play him, syndrome, this coming season, and poor performance will be less tolerated.

I think the approach, will be slightly different too.....we have a more athletic overtone to the squad, more height is being introduced, and a younger profile, which should in theory offer more intensity.

I think we will be encouraged to press more, with younger legs...and I think a more controlled aggressive stance will emerge.

I don't envisage opponents running amok through the middle, like we saw on occasions, last season....I think we will tighten up, at no cost to the brave, courageous mentality to attack.

I will be most surprised, if we play exactly how we did last season....I think we will keep the good bits, and improve the bad bits.

With Onana and Jaden pretty much on board I think we have some real options. I’m assume Diaby is gone! And one of Moreno or Digne will go. 

I think this is the best team we have for West Ham:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Maatsen

Onana

Bailey McGinn Tielemans Rodgers

Ollie

That gives us a sub bench of Gauci, Kosta, Moreno, Mings, Barkley, Enzo, Jaden, JJ and Duran (or a replacement striker) 

That would mean Buendia, Iling Jr, Cash, Archer, Dobbin don’t even make the bench. 

5 hours ago, Herman22 said:

With Onana and Jaden pretty much on board I think we have some real options. I’m assume Diaby is gone! And one of Moreno or Digne will go. 

I think this is the best team we have for West Ham:

Emi

Konsa Carlos Pau Maatsen

Onana

Bailey McGinn Tielemans Rodgers

Ollie

That gives us a sub bench of Gauci, Kosta, Moreno, Mings, Barkley, Enzo, Jaden, JJ and Duran (or a replacement striker) 

That would mean Buendia, Iling Jr, Cash, Archer, Dobbin don’t even make the bench. 

I think that might be the team but maybe carlos out, konsa to cb and a rb in.

I do wonder if we are signing more wide players than normal that Ramsey might move into a more central role.

Kamara, Onana and Barrenenchea would tighten midfield to allow him be a Lampard like midfield runner. He started out as a centre midfielder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I do wonder if we are signing more wide players than normal that Ramsey might move into a more central role.

Kamara, Onana and Barrenenchea would tighten midfield to allow him be a Lampard like midfield runner. He started out as a centre midfielder

I do t think Ramsey is technically good enough for a central role, he is defo more of a winger or inside forward type.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Ramsey is technically good enough for a central role, he is defo more of a winger or inside forward type.

Edited by MaVilla

17 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Holy smokes! Technically excellent and full of pace!

image.png.e5ed5e1feb8f82f452e603c7cd275c74.png

I think that will be the first choice team by the time Kamara returns. Buendia will get the nod over Tielemans is some games, McGinn over Bouba when we need to be more attacking, and Konsa moved to right back with Carlos at CB when we need to be more defensive. 

Philogene comes on for Bailey around 60 minutes (and vice versa on occasion).

Ramsey does similar with Rogers.

Enzo comes in for Kamara for weaker opposition. 

Digne for Maatsen when he needs a rest.

It's such a strong squad.

The only challenge left to resolve for me is a Watkins replacement. Duran doesnt seem to be it, but I feel like Rogers could be. But he'll be playing so much that it's not really a rotation where he gets a rest.so I assume we bring in another forward if we sell Duran and Diaby, and it's someone who can play anywhere around that front 3 or 4, but better as a forward. An Alvarez type I guess.

• Like 1

Really hope our left hand side is back to full strength, was our weak point last season with Mings/Buendia injuries, and Moreno/Ramsey not being fully fit most of the season.

Now we have Maatsen (who will basically be playing as an overlapping winger) Buendia back, Ramsey back, Rogers full of confidence, and even Iling-Jr as cover.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Really hope our left hand side is back to full strength, was our weak point last season with Mings/Buendia injuries, and Moreno/Ramsey not being fully fit most of the season.

Now we have Maatsen (who will basically be playing as an overlapping winger) Buendia back, Ramsey back, Rogers full of confidence, and even Iling-Jr as cover.

Not sure Ramsey is back yet, but hopefully not far away. Got to pray his re-surgery works this time! He'll be a huge boost to us as everyone seems to have forgotten how good he was before his injury, similar to Buendia. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2024 at 17:44, OutByEaster? said:

It's fun playing around with our squad in sort of the same shape we had last year (with the ball) - there's enormous depth in places and some are a little thinner - but there's loads of quality.

I've gone first, second and third elevens here and still had to leave out Sinisalo, Kesler-Hayden, Chrisene, Revan, Sousa, Rico Richards and Louie Barry. I've assumed Hause is unavailable and not included Kamara.

(don't get too hung up on the picks - I was just playing with our depth).

First team:

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.30.57.png

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.32.43.png

Third Team

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 22.43.42.png

Realistic, except zero chance that Philogene is ahead of Bailey in the first XI.

Quite possible that Unai goes with Paul-Konsa-Cash in the first XI instead of Pau-Diego-Konsa. And when Mings is back, it could be Pau-Mings-Konsa.

You might see Tielemans and Barkley switched.

If Diaby leaves, slot Buendia where you have Diaby.

• Like 1

Our squad is extremely loaded for a big competitive season..

We have lost two quality players but their role in our system can still be achieved by multiple players..

The funniest thing is that no one outside of our club is expected us to repeat or better last season..

We will quietly plod along whilst the media will gush about Chelsea, Spurs and United..

This season is going to be fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Our squad is extremely loaded for a big competitive season..

We have lost two quality players but their role in our system can still be achieved by multiple players..

The funniest thing is that no one outside of our club is expected us to repeat or better last season..

We will quietly plod along whilst the media will gush about Chelsea, Spurs and United..

This season is going to be fun

4th (or better...) will be so so tough again. But the size and quality of the squad we suddenly have is extraordinary.

I think it's important fans remember we can be seriously good this season and still finish 7th.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â