Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some big choices and decisions ahead this season; does Maatsen come straight in and start over Digne,

Has to! If Maatsen isn't a nailed first choice player it was not sensible to 'spend' £35m on him.

do we start Barrenechea and Barkley or are we looking to buy,

Currently confident Barkley will be in our best/strongest XI this season. If we do bring in an expensive central midfielder, I suppose they might go Tielemans in there alongside him.

Enzo will be given a bit of time I think.

will Mings and Buendia come back in, where do we play McGinn and Tielemans, do we play both Bailey and Diaby, does Rogers start over Ramsey, who plays right back, where does Illings-Junior fit in?

It's a squad at the moment full of overloads in some positions and holes in others and while I expect us to buy in CM, CB and up front - it's already looking like there will be some pretty familiar names who don't make the matchday twenty on the opening day.

For sure it's lots of some and not enough of others right now.

Martinez, Konsa, Torres, Maatsen, Bailey, Watkins are our nailed on starters IMO. What on earth the five others will be for the first few games I have no idea.

It'll be really interesting to see that opening day line up.

Right now, I'd say Martinez, Torres and Watkins are probably the only players with a guaranteed spot.

Let's say; Martinez, Maatsen, Torres, Carlos, Konsa, Tielemans, Berkley, McGinn, Ramsey, Diaby, Watkins

With a bench of; Olsen, Digne, Mings, Cash, Barrenechea, Buendia, Bailey, Rogers and Duran (or his replacement)

That would leave; Gauci, Moreno, Chambers, Kesler-Hayden, Hause, Nedeljkovic, Illing-Junior, Dendoncker, Dobbin and Archer all not included in the matchday squad - and that's before Kamara comes back.

I think we'll still add a midfielder, perhaps another centre back or right back and another centre forward - but looking at that squad, I don't reckon we're finished selling yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Rogers pre-injury was well on his way to having the LM position as his spot to lose

Indeed - but I don't think we've had Ramsey and Rogers fit at the same time - I think we can be excited about that contest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some big choices and decisions ahead this season; does Maatsen come straight in and start over Digne, do we start Barrenechea and Barkley or are we looking to buy, will Mings and Buendia come back in, where do we play McGinn and Tielemans, do we play both Bailey and Diaby, does Rogers start over Ramsey, who plays right back, where does Illings-Junior fit in?

It's a squad at the moment full of overloads in some positions and holes in others and while I expect us to buy in CM, CB and up front - it's already looking like there will be some pretty familiar names who don't make the matchday twenty on the opening day.

It's not the team selection that has me thinking. It's what tactical evolution is coming next.

I think there are a few things we will/might see.

1) A high pressing game. I think we'll deploy this more often than the handful of times we did last season. 

2) Wingers and under lapping fullbacks. I think we'll see Maatsen and Cash coming infield with LM and RM holding the width. AdditionallyMaatsen inverting to being a midfielder. With 3 CBs making the 3 behind. 

3) We'll see 3 at the back with wingbacks used more times than we did last season. It'll be an option. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm not sure how we will set up, but one thing I am sure about is that we will not miss Douglas Luiz in the slightest next season. 

Out goes Dougie, Iroegbunam, Dendonker

In comes Onana, Barkley and Barrenechea. I would call that an upgraded midfield.

We have added 2 left footed players in Maatsen and Iling Junior down left side.

While JJ and Rogers each featured in about 8 / 9 games worth each last season we'll get more out of them this season hopefully. Left side is improved for sure, I'm sure one of Moreno / Digne will move on

Down the right, we've added Nedeljkovic and Philogene. Also McGinn can play this side more now too. I'd say we've strengthened this side too

It's in central defence and forward where we are weakening ourselves if Duran moves on and with Lenglet finishing his Loan. Buendia back fit helps the 10 space with Diaby

Unai looking fresh, great to see Buendia involved aswell as the new guys. Bailey looking determined (got a well earned break, so has Pau - hopefully they’re fully recovered from previous knocks/injuries), few youngsters involved.

Wonder which GK will start preseason, give the young lads a chance…

No Mings and Ramsey on the grass yet.

I see Ross hasn’t changed, hope our new shirts can cope:

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

For me, with the business so far  looks interesting.....

Martinez

Konsa - New RCB - Pau - Maatsen

Onana - Tielemans

Right Wing - Rogers - Left Wing

Watkins

If konsa at RB, then  new CB needed, if konsa is CB, a new RB needed.

What is interesting, is even if we buy no more attacking players, the RW and LW slot have Bailey, buedia, mcginn, iling jr, diaby and jaden philogene, so 6 players competing for those 2 positions.

Also, a kamara/onana central midfield would be nuts when he is back.

Edited by MaVilla

As others have eluded to it feels there are a lot of key questions that make it impossible for us to fully predict how we will line up on GW1.

• Do we see Konsa as RB or CB? - if RB need another RCB and vice versa
  • Are Buendia and Mings at the level to play a role in the first XI?
  • Is Nedeljkovic ready to step up and to what level (sub or starter)? 
  • Will Diaby leave and if so are we giving up on a winger type at 10 for more of a playmaker?
  • Do we see Tielemans as a 10 or in the pivot now no Luiz? -  If the latter we will need another 10
  • Do we see Rogers as 10 or LW? -  If as 10 this may opens up more considerable minutes for Philogene
  • Do we see Illing Jr as LW or LB and is he ready to be in the first XI?
  • Is Barrenechea ready to play significant minutes this year?
  • Do we sell Duran and if so is the replacement a player that can play multiple positions? - Links to Beier and Kilicsoy could fill 10 and wing depth as well as be a backup to Watkins which would likely keep them happier

One thing I feel strongly on is once we have everyone fully fit we will try for a more traditional 3atb formation. Unai has trialled it out quite a bit to mixed success last season and the purchases so far I think round out our weaknesses when playing such a formation.

image.png.599fea94c66b081626a1e5dd4df6c7b6.png

In many ways having Onana and Kamara may be a bit of a defensive overkill in the middle of the park, Unai really liked to drop Kamara back into an RCB role to allow the fullbacks to push on a lot further and given Villa numerical advantage against low blocks (which was an issue for us). 

We had two issues with this

1. Luiz got overawed physically having to cover the entire midfield 

2. Our fullbacks were not good enough offensively to make the trade-off of getting them higher up the pitch worth it.

The signing of Onana for the midfield is massive for the first point, as I can't think of many others I'd rather have covering that space. Maatsen also I feel is far more comfortable than Digne/Moreno pushed up high and has the ability to hurt teams on the ball, I'm very hopeful we see a similar signing for the RB slot as Cash is not of the required level.

What is also promising about this formation is we seem to have a high level similar profile back-up for every role. One omission here is McGinn who will of course play a key role but given his versatility could play any of positions outside of defence and striker.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â