Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

It'd be interesting to know the extent to which Emery starts with a plan and then finds players who can fit it against the degree to which he occasionally sees a aplyer who can do something and thinks about how he can add that to his systems and methods. I don't think it's as simple as him starting with system and finding players that are a perfect fit - I think he collects 'tools' - players who excel at a certain thing, and then builds off that. I mean, obviously there will be some minimum things you need to be able to do and understand as a footballer to make that worthwhile, but I really like his flexibility in terms of finding something and then adjusting his system to make it work.

I've said before, but one of the simple geniuses of Emery's management is that he finds players who aren't 'complete' but have a real strength and then builds and blends systems where they are repeatedly doing the thing they're strong at and very rarely doing the thing they're not good at - that sounds really simple, but you don't have to go far back to see how other managers have completely lost that in trying to make players fit systems first.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be interesting to know the extent to which Emery starts with a plan and then finds players who can fit it against the degree to which he occasionally sees a aplyer who can do something and thinks about how he can add that to his systems and methods. I don't think it's as simple as him starting with system and finding players that are a perfect fit - I think he collects 'tools' - players who excel at a certain thing, and then builds off that. I mean, obviously there will be some minimum things you need to be able to do and understand as a footballer to make that worthwhile, but I really like his flexibility in terms of finding something and then adjusting his system to make it work.

I've said before, but one of the simple geniuses of Emery's management is that he finds players who aren't 'complete' but have a real strength and then builds and blends systems where they are repeatedly doing the thing they're strong at and very rarely doing the thing they're not good at - that sounds really simple, but you don't have to go far back to see how other managers have completely lost that in trying to make players fit systems first.

I think that McGinn is a good example of this...

When Unai first started, McGinn would play in the midfield 4 in the defensive 4-4-2 and then one of the attacking midfield positions at the front of the box in the 3-box-3. Now, McGinn often plays in one of the forward positions in the 4-4-2 even though his attacking position hasn't changed.

At first I didn't understand this...Bailey plays further forward than McGinn in attack, so why not leave him there in the defensive formation? It's not like Bailey is a great defender. It took me a while to realize...Unai is playing to McGinn's strength. He and Ollie are good at holding up the ball, so if you're going to play the early ball forward, you want them already far forward to receive it and hold it until everyone else gets forward. Meanwhile, Bailey is good at carrying the ball, so he can start from a deeper position and advance the ball that way.

It was a simple but non-obvious tweak...as you put it, he's putting his tools to their best use.

• Like 2

So, if we're done and we're going with what we have, I'd imagine that our main starting XI when everyone is fit will end up being:

Martinez

Cash      Konsa  Torres   Maatsen

Onana   Tielemans

Bailey           McGinn      Rogers

Watkins

Obviously this'll change with injuries/players being in/out of form. Which means we'll need to pick a bench out of:

Gauci, Olsen, Digne, Ned, Carlos, Mings, Bogarde, Barkley, Buendia, Philogene, Ramsey, Kamara, Dendoncker, Duran

(Assuming that Enzo is going out on loan and no one comes in for anybody else).

That's quite difficult to pick when everyone is available.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

The way we are playing and the level of injuries is worrying me!!! We were poor today overall. 

We aren't firing on all cylinders but I'd say overall over the three games we've done okay and worthy of 6 points. West Ham, certainly first half, we were excellent, Arsenal we more than matched them and had we took one of our excellent chances before they scored we'd have almost certainly took something and today we've been a little lacklustre but had all the good chances in the game bar one bit of poor defending by a young lad making his Prem debut.

Break not come at a bad time though. Onana and Bailey neither injury looked too serious, Carlos should be back for Everton and Mings/Cash should be 2 or 3 weeks away from returning at that point. 

Edited by markavfc40

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We aren't firing on all cylinders but I'd say overall over the three games we've done okay and worthy of 6 points. West Ham, certainly first half we were excellent, Arsenal we more than matched them and had we took one of our excellent chances before they scored we'd have almost certainly took something and today we've been a little lacklustre but had all the good chances in the game bar one bit of poor defending by a young lad making his Prem debut.

Break not come at a bad time though. Onana and Bailey neither injury looked too serious, Carlos should be back for Everton and Mings/Cash should be 2 or 3 weeks away from returning at that point. 

Fair comments - it is still early season, but I think when we look at how we were second half of last season, the poor pre-season and then today, and probably a little bit against Arsenal the other day, then it doesn’t look brilliant in terms of how we are playing. I know many are saying that we were excellent against Arsenal, if it wasn’t for the finishing - but the old cliche of ‘if we aren’t going to score, then don’t concede’ comes into play. I thought the goals we conceded were poor and it was very much a case of ‘same old Villa’ (playing well and losing). 

There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.  

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

The way we are playing and the level of injuries is worrying me!!! We were poor today overall. 

Maybe football isn't for you if this is worrying to you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Are we doing a lot of amazing push-and-run passes? Not really a football expert. Seems to me we're doing this a lot.

Push-and-run, also known as a wall pass, a one-two or a give-and-go, is a tactic and skill often used in association football. It involves quickly laying the ball off to a teammate and running past the marking tackler to collect the return pass. It proved an effective way to move the ball at pace, with players' positions and responsibility being fluid.[1]

It was devised and developed by Arthur Rowe,[2] who was the then manager of English football club Tottenham Hotspur from 1949. Implementing this new and unique style,[3] Tottenham ran away with their first league title. In 1951 they won the First Division Championship and became the first side to win Second and First Divisions in successive seasons.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

One thing I've noticed from the first three games is that we seem a lot more effective at turning over possession in the middle of the park than last season. The extra physicality we have added in that area is paying dividends. Luiz may not have been replaced like-for-like, but the new players add more collectively and take us to another level. 

20 hours ago, Tayls said:

We were poor.

But we were good at West Ham and should have beaten Arsenal.

So what’s our injury situation at the moment?

Cash - Miss 5 matches including CL and League Cup.

Carlos - Back in 2 weeks?

Buendia - Back playing in 4 weeks?

Mings - Back playing in 5-6 weeks?

Kamara - Back playing in 6 weeks?

Bailey - out for 4 weeks?

21 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We were poor.

But we were good at West Ham and should have beaten Arsenal.

Overall we've been okay.  We haven't fully "clicked" attacking wise I think, once we do we will destroy teams.

I think Monchi has done a very good job trimming the squad and trying to tailor it to Unai's vision.

We now only have a handful of players that we'd ideally move on vs the bloated squad they inherited and now have 20/22 players that the manager trusts as well as a younger squad profile.

Dendoncker(7m to anderlecht buy option)Hause and Coutinho won't be part of the squad again.

Diego Carlos, Moreno and Olsen could be moved on too next season and we have a crop of young talent out on loan at good levels ideally developing value and ability.

Considering the financial constraints it's been a very good few transfer windows.

I think it's more dependent on who we've played so far, although it is noticeably lower than last season. Maybe due to the short pre-season, it is something that needs to be drilled more over a period of time?

Spurs' position on that graph...it really showed up for Newcastle's winner at the weekend.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â