Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Pretty sure from this, that Dobbin is being used as a striker rather than left winger. Otherwise Archer is our only striker. Rogers is definitely more of a centre forward than striker. I don't see that role for him yet.

6 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

So, there are 29 players there - we can assume Martinez, Konsa and Watkins come straight back in, making 32.

Here's an exercise - pick the twelve players from that list who don't make the bench on day one away at West Ham.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, there are 29 players there - we can assume Martinez, Konsa and Watkins come straight back in, making 32.

Here's an exercise - pick the twelve players from that list who don't make the bench on day one away at West Ham.

No thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Don't forget Unai very very often likes two keepers on the bench :)

• Like 1

Nedeljkovic
ALEX MORENO
SAMUEL ILING JR
JOE GAUCI
LEWIS DOBBIN
KAINE KESLER HAYDEN
LEANDER DENDONCKER
OLIWIER ZYCH
SIL SWINKELS
JAMES WRIGHT
JOSH FEENEY
LAMARE BOGARDE

It is tough this. The squad needs trimming down a little.  Tough choices between Buendia, Iling Jr and Nedeljkovic?  Have taken out Ned but would like him on the bench. Olsen or Gauci, so just picked one for now.

One thing is for sure with our slightly bloated squad, I hope we don’t see two keepers on the bench this season. So much outfield quality.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Bogarde
Feeney  
Wright
Swinkles
Zych
Dendoncker
Archer
Kesler-Hayden
Moreno
Dobbin
Gauci (loan) 
Digne/Carlos (one will go I think)

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

There are some interesting 'problems' starting to emerge.

Do you start an unproven, eighteen year old Nedeljkovic at right back in order to let Konsa play CB or do you start Konsa on the right and risk having all of your senior CB's on the pitch at the same time?

I'd guess we currently start Bailey, Rogers and Watkins, but if we sign Felix, which of those misses out?

How does Ramsey force his way back in over Rogers?

Does Maatsen start from day one over Digne?

Who plays next to Onana? You'd guess it would be Tielemans with McGinn on the right. If so, would that mean one of Barkley, Barrenechea, Ramsey or Buendia doesn't even make the bench?

Given there's likely to only be one keeper on the bench, do you stick with Olsen or go with Gauci?

Where do Cash, Moreno and Kesler Hayden fit in? Does Cash beat Nedeljkovic to second right back, can Moreno force his way past either of the others to become back up left back?

Where do Philogene, Illing-Junior, Dobbin and Archer fit it if we sign Felix and/or a striker - Philogene I guess would back up Bailey, but is there room on the bench for any of the others?

We've bought a lot of young talent and there's not room for everyone - plus we have some areas we need to strengthen - I wouldn't be surprised if there are some 'outs' still to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Do you start an unproven, eighteen year old Nedeljkovic at right back in order to let Konsa play CB or do you start Konsa on the right and risk having all of your senior CB's on the pitch at the same time?

I'd guess we currently start Bailey, Rogers and Watkins, but if we sign Felix, which of those misses out?

Who plays next to Onana? You'd guess it would be Tielemans with McGinn on the right. If so, would that mean one of Barkley, Barrenechea, Ramsey or Buendia doesn't even make the bench?

Given there's likely to only be one keeper on the bench, do you stick with Olsen or go with Gauci?

Where do Cash, Moreno and Kesler Hayden fit in? Does Cash beat Nedeljkovic to second right back, can Moreno force his way past either of the others to become back up left back?

Where do Philogene, Illing-Junior, Dobbin and Archer fit it if we sign Felix and/or a striker - Philogene I guess would back up Bailey, but is there room on the bench for any of the others?

We've bought a lot of young talent and there's not room for everyone - plus we have some areas we need to strengthen - I wouldn't be surprised if there are some 'outs' still to come.

There will definitely be some outs, Archer and Donk. Dobbin on loan perhaps. The area that confuses me most is left back as it all appears to have gone quiet re an exit for either Digne or Moreno. I’m hoping that’s the last time we see Digne at CB and we sign proper cover. I’d keep Digne over Moreno though.

I would expect it will largely be like last season in that there a few players (hopefully privately) unhappy with lack of minutes early on but as the games stack up and injuries and suspensions kick in everybody gets plenty of game time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tayls said:

Bogarde
Feeney  
Wright
Swinkles
Zych
Dendoncker
Archer
Kesler-Hayden
Moreno
Dobbin
Gauci (loan) 
Digne/Carlos (one will go I think)

Premier League clubs are making sure to have 4 GKs in first team squad. So no chance Gauci goes on Loan. 

I see Nedeljkovic, Illing Junior, Barrenechea, Dobbin and Philogene to a lesser degree as the younger players we signed who will get few mins this side of new year in PL or CL.

They'll get time in the EFL Cup and adapt and learn from training and the coaching. The hope is they progress and advance through the season to be able to have a bigger impact in 2nd half when fatigue and injuries are mounting. 

I see Konsa playing more at RB than CB same as last season with Cash being the other RB. Maatsen and Digne for the left Back position. We're short in CB so I really hope we are adding a left sided ball progressing player who can deputise for Pau in what he brings to the team. 

I think JJ / Rogers and McGinn / Bailey would be the first and second choices in the LM and RM positions. With Tielemans and Onana the central two with Barkley the first alternative.

Up top we're light. Watkins and Felix if he signs or whomever we do sign. I'd see Buendia primarily used as the 10 not from LM or RM. 

In terms of GK I'd say Olsen on the bench but Gauci is the starting keeper in domestic cups. Possibly see Gauci displace Olsen on Bench later in season if he's proving himself. 

I feel Archer will be sold, KKH will go on loan like a large number of our existing youth team who are on the US tour. Feeny, Bogarde etc..

Moreno, Dendonker, Duran, Hause all to leave this window too. With a Forward and CB signed.

I think we'll have 4 GKs with Zych and the 3 senior keepers. 

9 defenders with 5 CBs Konsa counting among the CB numbers. So new CB added. Mings take time getting back to a top level. 

We'll have 11 for midfield. Counting wingers and CMs. Kamara among them. We do have quite a few younger players in the group. A lot falls on Tielemans, Bailey, McGinn and Barkley in terms of senior players with experience. Onana is experienced for his age though. 

Up top just 4 Watkins, Buendia, Felix (if signed) and Dobbin. 

Champions League squad will be 24 players. JJ, Philogene and Zych being home grown and the 21 from the rest.

I'd say Gauci, Nedeljkovic and Kamara miss out from the squad. 2 GK, 8 Defenders, 8 MF and 3 Forwards. 

• Like 1

I would like us to start the season with

Watkins

Rogers                                                   Bailey

McGinn

Tielemans

Onana

Digne         Torres           Konza           Cash

Martinez

Carlos, Maatsen, Moreno, Nedeljokic, Ramsey, Buendia, Jaden and Barkley ready to step up and provide healthy competition from the bench.

I wouldn't rule out Barrenechea making some good contributions this season too. You would assume Digne or Moreno will be moved on though.

Cash starts the season out of respect and not place too much pressure on Ned too soon.  

1 hour ago, Villa Gaffa said:

I would like us to start the season with

Watkins

Rogers                                                   Bailey

McGinn

Tielemans

Onana

Digne         Torres           Konza           Cash

Martinez

Carlos, Maatsen, Moreno, Nedeljokic, Ramsey, Buendia, Jaden and Barkley ready to step up and provide healthy competition from the bench.

I wouldn't rule out Barrenechea making some good contributions this season too. You would assume Digne or Moreno will be moved on though.

Cash starts the season out of respect and not place too much pressure on Ned too soon.  

I’d really hope we have got out of the mentality  of playing someone ‘out of respect’. We want to be pushing for the title,  Cash needs upgrading as first choice. No room for sentimentality here. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â