Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Something we do sorely miss is someone that can carry the ball and break down teams. I suspect that's why we are linked to another attacking player despite our decent goals for record. We are pretty limited in that aspect. 

Last year, JJ led us with 94 Progressive Carries but that was for the whole year. For reference, Grealish in the 20-21 season with us, he had 172 progressive carries and in 19-20 he had 212 progressive carries.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Something we do sorely miss is someone that can carry the ball and break down teams. I suspect that's why we are linked to another attacking player despite our decent goals for record. We are pretty limited in that aspect. 

Last year, JJ led us with 94 Progressive Carries but that was for the whole year. For reference, Grealish in the 20-21 season with us, he had 172 progressive carries and in 19-20 he had 212 progressive carries.

Worth remembering Bailey didn't really play much for the first 2-3 months of this season, yet he's still on that list.

3 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Worth remembering Bailey didn't really play much for the first 2-3 months of this season, yet he's still on that list.

So he's made 52 carries in 861 minutes. If he'd played every match this season it's not unrealistic to think he'd have over 100 carries.

So our Chelsea cup match has been moved to the Friday night but it’s not on tv? Why move it then…I can only assume because of Newcastle early the following week. Good for players for an extra day between games, a bit crappy for fans travelling to Stamford Bridge on a Friday night in rush hour traffic.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

It must be our tactics to deliberately not progress the ball down the wings for the most part.  We favour the centre which is why it sometimes feels like a game of chess. With Pau in the team he is the biggest progresser of the ball at centre half. I agree we could do better though

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So our Chelsea cup match has been moved to the Friday night but it’s not on tv? Why move it then…I can only assume because of Newcastle early the following week. Good for players for an extra day between games, a bit crappy for fans travelling to Stamford Bridge on a Friday night in rush hour traffic.

That and Fulham also being at home, which has been moved to the Saturday night against Newcastle which should be good for us

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not good for our winter break either. We play Sunday and Friday. So players get less time off than they should as a result.

I think the rest in January is key for our teams ability to compete in the remainder of season 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Not good for our winter break either. We play Sunday and Friday. So players get less time off than they should as a result.

I think the rest in January is key for our teams ability to compete in the remainder of season 

I’d prefer to have an extra day rest than Newcastle before playing them than having 12 days ‘rest’ instead of 11

34 minutes ago, mole86 said:

I’d prefer to have an extra day rest than Newcastle before playing them than having 12 days ‘rest’ instead of 11

Yeah I'd probably agree with you there

We can talk refereeing and personnel but at the end of the day, we don’t have a good pattern of play in the final third. It’s far too cautious as a team and we rarely overload a side or stray from our formation - which opponents have game planned against for a few months now. 

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

We can talk refereeing and personnel but at the end of the day, we don’t have a good pattern of play in the final third. It’s far too cautious as a team and we rarely overload a side or stray from our formation - which opponents have game planned against for a few months now. 

i agree.

when we are playing fast in transition, breaking lines etc, we are very good.

However, when a team sits back, blocks passing lanes and effectively plays park the bus, our passing is like a 5 year old playing dot to dot.

Outside of probably tielemans, who we havent had for a fair few weeks, we dont have any players who have the vision, guile, intelligence or movement to break teams down.

i guess this is the problem of a team doing well, earlier in the season teams played more open against us, and we tore many apart, now many are sitting back and challenging us to play through them, and we cant.

• Like 1

the break has come at a good time. 2 weeks to get pau, tielemans, digne and JJ back, maybe a behind closed doors friendly perhaps to get minutes into the legs and have a bit of a reset before a massive cup game.

Noticeable  change in the way we played out from the high press from Everton early on. You could see Everton were following the pattern set by Burnley,  Manure and Sheffield and pressing our defence and midfield at the same time.

We was still trying to pass out through the middle but against Everton we went long more often and Ollie had some good knock downs and possession from it. If we could have got someone closer to him I think we could have had some success from it, Ramsey would have been ideal.

It's encouraging that we are looking at ways around the way teams are countering our style. We have some time to work on it so hopefully the next time a team sets up to stop us playing we have an affective answer to it. 

Just now, tinker said:

Noticeable  change in the way we played out from the high press from Everton early on. You could see Everton were following the pattern set by Burnley,  Manure and Sheffield and pressing our defence and midfield at the same time.

We was still trying to pass out through the middle but against Everton we went long more often and Ollie had some good knock downs and possession from it. If we could have got someone closer to him I think we could have had some success from it, Ramsey would have been ideal.

It's encouraging that we are looking at ways around the way teams are countering our style. We have some time to work on it so hopefully the next time a team sets up to stop us playing we have an affective answer to it. 

I think the accurate passing over their press to Watkins was good and made them sit a little deeper and not press as high as the game wore on, also we passed through their press often and this gave us control of the game. The longer the game went on the more control we exerted. I know we didn't win but the template there was good to gain control of the game away from home and then try get the breakthrough. 

• Like 4

I think we looked far more balanced when Konsa went to CB and Cash went to RB.  Having both full backs as an attacking option just seems to give us that bit more when going forward but doesn't seem to (or vs Everton at least) comprise us defensively.

I also think it should be Youri plus one other as the players supporting Ollie now hes back from injury against these teams trying just to defend against us.  He is a little bit cleverer than the other players we have up there currently.  Bailey should be the other player up there, however it looks like he could do with the break we've got coming up

Edited by bcarpet
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tinker said:

All our best moves were the ball going from one of the CB’s into Ollie. It was causing them problems and if we had been a bit more clinical in 3 or 4 spots, it would have been another 1-0. 

I actually think Everton came out to press high and had some scrambles in the first 10 minutes but we settled down and they definitely went deeper and started just making it Dyche ball. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â