Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

For the love of everything please stop playing Ramsey and McGinn together in a three man midfield. We play two players who among the worst in Europe for number of passes made per 90 and then wonder why we can't control a game. It's completely insane.

Just now, sne said:

Looks perfect, wonder why it isn't working :crylaugh:

Not enough real men for me imo. Men who are going to put their bodies on the line, fight for the cause, work for each other, run through brick walls.

"What's that you say? Keep the ball and have a shape?  Bollocks to that!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he turns up and plays the same formation again next week he deserves to be turnipped!

Shore up the defensive shitshow, keep your full backs as defenders, play Mings and Chambers, put Dougie and Kamara as a holding pair and play a three behind Ollie or Ings with both Coutinho and Beundia.

Its win or go next week, nothing else will do

• Like 1

Just now, NoelVilla said:

What tactics? What shape? Non-league stuff. 

I remember watching Gary Neville interview Ashley Cole about his time in the premier league and mostly at Arsenal. He said something to the effect of “we didn’t really do tactics in them days, it was just the 11 best players and you just went out and played”

You have to wonder what vision of the game these former England pros have. The changes in the last 10 years have been HUGE. Keep up or **** off.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I remember watching Gary Neville interview Ashley Cole about his time in the premier league and mostly at Arsenal. He said something to the effect of “we didn’t really do tactics in them days, it was just the 11 best players and you just went out and played”

You have to wonder what vision of the game these former England pros have. The changes in the last 10 years have been HUGE. Keep up or **** off.

Seems about right. Players today don't really believe in something like that and it shows.

To me Palace are the epitomy of what we struggle against. The same for West Ham: Physical players who can use the ball. We just can't deal with them.

Arguably, the players on both teams are of equal ability with a football, if not in Villa's favour in a lot of positions, but as soon as you add that extra bite, speed, and physicality we just get roasted. 

We need some of that. Well, a lot of that. 

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

What tactics? What shape? Non-league stuff. 

Exactly my question. I honestly have  no idea what the plan is at all. We have no shape at all, it's a complete clusterf*.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

image?id=JFrizKrDxITLtUuopSGS

That is exactly what we're doing. He's an idiot. **** idiot.

He's absolutely telling the players to move to these positions when we get the ball. Clueless.

We wouldn't get out of the championship with him. Clown.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

This is so, so, so painfully true. 

Honestly, Mings and Kamara must wonder what the f*** is going on. Time and time again they’re having to defend against whole teams attacking them. Konsa has regressed to the point where I’m not sure he’s even a PL footballer anymore and the fullbacks just bomb on. Ramsey and McGinn can’t actually pass the ball and even if they could, they’re playing in this weird wide position either trying to cover the fullbacks or trying to join in with the attack.

Am I being unreasonable here? I have zero coaching qualifications and don’t even watch much football outside of Villa and even I can see that the way we play is absolutely f****** ludicrous. 

Why can’t we just play a 4-3-3 where the fullbacks don’t bomb on and the central midfielders play a little deeper to support the defence? We’re not blessed with great central midfielders, I think the best manager in the world would struggle with our midfield, but the way they’re asked to play is absolutely suicidal. This system and set up is so, so bad. At least Smith had a system and a way of playing. Yes, he failed and probably deserved the sack, but right now I genuinely think things are worse. 

F*** off Gerrard.

• Like 2

Don't shoot me, I know how Villatalk feels about it, its just a though ;)

Would it make sense playing with 5 at the back? this would allow digne and cash to continue to bomb forward and be covered by our center backs. In my opinion Cash and Digne are limited defensively.. It would also help us not get so overrun in counter attacks. Thirdly, it could cover the fact that our center backs are pretty limited. 3/5 at the back does work if implemented correctly and not used as a panic formation change like last time we tried (which I guess is where was a similar position to where we are now).

So something along the lines of

Martinez

Cash, chambers, konsa, mings, digne

Kamara, Luiz

Bailey, watkins, buendia

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

A little different today though, Mings and Konsa pushed slightly higher up in possession. Didn’t work, plenty of balls went over the top without them being played offside.

So we had Palace either charging into the empty hole in the picture with Kamara and Mings defending against 5-6 players, or a longer ball over the defence and our CBs chasing one or two free Palace players. 🥲

On 18/08/2022 at 14:46, duke313 said:

Just had a look at the average positions vs. Everton on SofaScore. 

Coutinho was way too deep, near the centre-circle, Buendia was much closer to the forwards.

Today was an absolute shambles. No press resistance, no proper out-ball plays, we didn't look like a team that new where the other players were when we got the ball. 

Horrid

9 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Don't shoot me, I know how Villatalk feels about it, its just a though ;)

Would it make sense playing with 5 at the back? this would allow digne and cash to continue to bomb forward and be covered by our center backs. In my opinion Cash and Digne are limited defensively.. It would also help us not get so overrun in counter attacks. Thirdly, it could cover the fact that our center backs are pretty limited. 3/5 at the back does work if implemented correctly and not used as a panic formation change like last time we tried (which I guess is where was a similar position to where we are now).

So something along the lines of

Martinez

Cash, chambers, konsa, mings, digne

Kamara, Luiz

Bailey, watkins, buendia

Yeh, why not. It’s something different at least. It literally couldn’t get any worse I don’t think atm.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â