Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

What i find interesting is that so many on here are talking about a lack of quality in our squad and that we have to improve multiple positions to get into the top 8. But that the players we are suggesting to get sold or replaced are all players that would currently get into teams in the teams in the top 8, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins etc. They would all leave to go to clubs above us. 

The balance in our squad does need to be assessed and improved though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

What i find interesting is that so many on here are talking about a lack of quality in our squad and that we have to improve multiple positions to get into the top 8. But that the players we are suggesting to get sold or replaced are all players that would currently get into teams in the teams in the top 8, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins etc. They would all leave to go to clubs above us. 

The balance in our squad does need to be assessed and improved though.

I think its more to do with balance.....than the players being not good enough.

Now that might sound like a paradox.....too many players are too similar, that doesn't necessarily mean they are no good.

I think we need some new types, to join the squad,  more than upgrades.

another dominant centre back and a competent CDM, will make a huge improvement to this squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

You sure about that? Luiz yes, the other two aren't top 8 level players. You can't go off paper talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

You sure about that? Luiz yes, the other two aren't top 8 level players. You can't go off paper talk.

Are all Wolves players top 8 level players? Watkins is better than Jimenez these days so if Jimenez is top 8 level, Watkins should be higher.

There is no top 8 level. There is six big clubs and a bunch of midtable teams trying to break into that club. Sometimes those hopefuls finish 8th, sometimes 13th, often with basically the same squad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Are all Wolves players top 8 level players? Watkins is better than Jimenez these days so if Jimenez is top 8 level, Watkins should be higher.

There is no top 8 level. There is six big clubs and a bunch of midtable teams trying to break into that club. Sometimes those hopefuls finish 8th, sometimes 13th, often with basically the same squad.

Watkins is not and never has been better than Jimenez, IMO.

Martinez

Cash      Chambers      Mings      Digne

Buendia   Nakamba   McGinn

Coutinho

Ings   Watkins

I'd play the above in the next match with Ramsey hot on the heels of McGinn.

Edited by AV82

15 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Time for this one

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think its more to do with balance.....than the players being not good enough.

Now that might sound like a paradox.....too many players are too similar, that doesn't necessarily mean they are no good.

I think we need some new types, to join the squad,  more than upgrades.

another dominant centre back and a competent CDM, will make a huge improvement to this squad.

Most of the spine needs overhauling and I think that comes through upgrades in certain areas (DC, ST) and different types of player in others (CDM, CM). 

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Watkins will never be better than Jiminez. That's insane 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

The same formation that does not work is being played over and over.

I don’t think this is entirely true. I agree that he has his favoured formation which wasn’t working for us but he has and does tweak it for different opponents. He set us up defensively re Leicester when it was so important not to lose another game and I’m sure he’s stopped or at least minimised the scenario of the full backs going high repeatedly leaving the midfield covering full back with Dougie alone in the middle and the defence exposed. I’m no tactician but it does seem like we’ve seen less of that. There’s also no chance he will set us up like that against Liverpool or City as we’d be murdered. 

On 02/05/2022 at 22:17, AV82 said:

Martinez

Coutinho

Ings   Watkins

With Ramsey out, this could be the players he ends up picking, but it looks so weak in the wide areas I can't see it working. Also, is Digne actually fit?

The shape of our team is so awkward with the players we have available.  I'd like to see Ings, Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho, and Ramsey all on the pitch together,  as our 5 best attacking players, but getting them into a viable formation is virtually impossible.

I don't know who of those deserves to be dropped to make it work the most, but it sure as hell shouldn't be Buendia.

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

With Ramsey out, this could be the players he ends up picking, but it looks so weak in the wide areas I can't see it working. Also, is Digne actually fit?

The shape of our team is so awkward with the players we have available.  I'd like to see Ings, Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho, and Ramsey all on the pitch together,  as our 5 best attacking players, but getting them into a viable formation is virtually impossible.

I don't know who of those deserves to be dropped to make it work the most, but it sure as hell shouldn't be Buendia.

The imbalance was created in the Summer after a poor transfer window. 

Our squad has a fair bit of talent in it but everyone either wants to play as an 8 or a 10 and we have two strikers who would start at most Prem clubs. We don’t have enough space to fit them all in. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Gerrard doesn't have the bollocks or the sense to play Buendia deeper for some reason. We've looked a lot better under Gerrard in a 4-3-1-2 and I think Buendia in place of McGinn (or Ramsey) would work.

17 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Gerrard doesn't have the bollocks or the sense to play Buendia deeper for some reason. We've looked a lot better under Gerrard in a 4-3-1-2 and I think Buendia in place of McGinn (or Ramsey) would work.

I wouldn’t have the bollocks to play Buendia deeper either. He’s incredibly creative and always tries unexpected things, which is great higher up the pitch. But he plays with high risk and will always give the ball away a number of times. Don’t want that happening too deep.

The quality in our squad is there, but only to a certain extent. We have players good enough to feature regularly in top 10 sides but this isn’t our problem. It’s the imbalance that has caused this horrible season.

From the very first kick, we had no idea what our best formation is and which players should play where. We’ve tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2 and 3-5-2.

Most of the time, we’re trying to accommodate the fact we don’t have any pace out wide (Bailey isn’t quick) and we have 2 players competing for the striker position and almost all of our midfielders wanting to play as an advanced 8 or even a 10. 

The Summer should be all about trying to trim our bloated squad and signing 4 (at least) starting players that are better than the players we have now. 

We never properly replaced Grealish. We just looked at an excel spreadsheet and thought we had.

Edited by Delphinho123

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Just need to swap Watkins out for mad Bertie

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Just need to swap Watkins out for mad Bertie

I'd be on board with that. Might even get a formation out of it:

Ings

Bertie    Coutinho   Buendia

Ramsey   Nakamba(?)

Bertie and Buendia swapping sides as and when they feel like it.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 22:17, AV82 said:

Martinez

Coutinho

Ings   Watkins

Buendia hasn't been coached properly to cover for Cash when he gets forward. This is why there has been so much consistency in the 8s and fullbacks under Gerrard

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â