Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Dale said:

No no no, the squad is the club's it isn't a manager's, we're beyond those days. Gerrard should have an influence, but not be the lead decision maker on these matters. The club has to build a squad with half an eye on the fact there is a reasonable chance we'll be after a new manager in the next 12 months. 

The club was foolish in the manager hunt as they brought in a bloke that plays a system we didn't have the personnel for. Mad as its harder to find someone that plays a formation other than 4-3-3 nowadays. 

Fully agree (except many play 3-4-3 also).

6 hours ago, villan501 said:

Gerrard needs to show he has a backbone and drop out of form players.mcginn needs dropping majority have said this time to see what we see Stevie and give the guy a seat on the bench, persisting with him is beyond a joke now cant pass at all gives ball away far too often.

Hopefully Nakamba back means this. Really sick of his inconsistency. 

6 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Gerrard needs to show he has a backbone and drop out of form players.

mcginn needs dropping majority have said this time to see what we see Stevie and give the guy a seat on the bench, persisting with him is beyond a joke now cant pass at all gives ball away far too often. 

He can't pass in close quarters, his longer balls are more effective.....I actually think is more alike to Jarrod Bowen....not a winger, but a wide midfielder, who can cut in....a Snodgrass type.

Centre mid, or defensive mid.....he hasn't got the attributes for it.

4 hours ago, sne said:
  • High press and Coutinho will likely not work. Love they guy but that he can't do, he was spent after 50 mins yesterday.
  • Possession football with McGinn likely won't work.
  • Extremely attacking full backs without 2 sitting DCM's will likely not work.
  • Counter attacking football without pace and wide players likely won't work.
  • Building from the back without a CM that's comfortable with the ball won't work

Put it all together and we have some issues to sort out. Hope Gerrard and his staff are flexible and quick learners.

The high press made quite the difference yesterday though, while it lasted.

Also, no team can have an intensive high press for 90 minutes. It’s too exhausting.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

Gerrard needs to show he has a backbone and drop out of form players.

mcginn needs dropping majority have said this time to see what we see Stevie and give the guy a seat on the bench, persisting with him is beyond a joke now cant pass at all gives ball away far too often. 

I’ve run out of patience with McGinn, such a frustrating and inconsistent player. Him and JJ should be competing for one spot and/or rotating imo but JJ has become a far more valuable player for us with huge potential and a high ceiling. Will we see that much more improvement from John? Even if he gets to play further forward, he’s not as good as other options… technically he is poor but, on his day, his energy and drive are an asset. Problem is, his days are few and far between.

No objection to him leaving and us making a huge profit but he is SG’s pet so can’t see it happening. 

Would’ve liked to have seen Sanson get more opportunities. He may not have the same tenacity/energy but his technical prowess is superior. So is Luiz’s.

We need composure and quality on the ball in midfield, some physicality and resilience too.

McGinn barely give us any of that, all too often clumsy, slow and sloppy in possession. Loves to hoof it too.

So it’s pointless playing him further back. But we have better options further forward too…

Sadly, SG has shown that he has his favourites regardless of form.

Buendia has been treated unfairly, I hope we don’t unsettle him as he has the quality to star for us. We need his creativity.

SG needs to pick a CF. Not a fan of Ings’ hustle n bustle… he’s not a CAM or 10. 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The high press made quite the difference yesterday though, while it lasted.

Yeah and I hope we continue with it. But we've not been able to in most games, and if so not for long. Like yesterday.

• Like 1

As many have suggested Gerrard is playing a system that doesn't suit the players he wants to play.

So either he ditches that and plays to the strengths or he brings in players who can do the roles better either from the squad (fringe/youngsters) or in the summer.

People are saying his signings are decent, but the truth for me he brought in players we didn't need.

Coutinho is awesome at times but he is a luxury player who needs players around him who can convert the chances he makes and for some reason that has stopped happening.

I don't understand why Buendia and Sanson are on the bench, they have far more tenacity and a higher work rate than McGinn, JJ, Coutinho and Luiz yet they are dumped on the bench.

Maybe Nakamba being back will allow him to change things around a bit, but he could have tried that with Tim.

Having Young as a replacement left back is also an awful situation to be in.

Just now, hippo said:

Fair enough.

Couple of thoughts.

Gerrard wants the full backs to provide the attacking width. My betting is the next villa coach will dispense with this idea.

All agreed we need a DM.

The problem for me is that so many of our players have regressed - what's to say Stevie's recruits will thrive ? 

Gerrard said on appointment he knows he isn't liked at Villa Park - which is never a good start.

So yeah - let Stevie G bring in a CB, DCM and Striker - I really don't see that saving Stevie G.

CM is the key, and like I say I don't see too much changing in terms of who we would be likely, or able, to sign there regardless of the manager.

I think most managers like a bit of width from their full backs, the main difference would be whether or not wingers are used up top. We'll be unlikely to be able to sell all our wingers this summer, so I'm not sure there'd be much of a difference there either, if a new man came in and inherited the squad in October or whenever.

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

As many have suggested Gerrard is playing a system that doesn't suit the players he wants to play.

So either he ditches that and plays to the strengths or he brings in players who can do the roles better either from the squad (fringe/youngsters) or in the summer.

People are saying his signings are decent, but the truth for me he brought in players we didn't need.

Coutinho is awesome at times but he is a luxury player who needs players around him who can convert the chances he makes and for some reason that has stopped happening.

I don't understand why Buendia and Sanson are on the bench, they have far more tenacity and a higher work rate than McGinn, JJ, Coutinho and Luiz yet they are dumped on the bench.

Maybe Nakamba being back will allow him to change things around a bit, but he could have tried that with Tim.

Having Young as a replacement left back is also an awful situation to be in.

If Buendia and Sanson are getting a looking what hope for Chuk, ibregham, bidace and co ?  - what must they be thinking right no.

OK this is my starting line up for next game and why.

4 1  2 3

Emi

Cash

Young

Chambers

Mings

Nakamba

Beundia

Sanson

Coutinho

Bailey

Ings

Reason for this is mcginn Ramsey Luiz Watkins and konsa have had far too many chances.

Nakamba is ball winning mid as sanson can do but sanson can be the basis of defence into attack his calmness on ball impresses me.

In summer sell mcginn ( huge profit he's hit his ceiling in prem now) Luiz, el ghazi konsa Watkins all sold sick and tired of watching them

Just now, og1874 said:

Sorry, but Buendia in CM is literally the worst idea I've ever seen anyone post anywhere

It could work depending on the opposition. Away to Leicester is probably not that game

Just now, Zatman said:

It could work depending on the opposition. Away to Leicester is probably not that game

I don't think we're scheduled to play any U-15 ladies teams any time soon, so I can't see any of our likely fixtures where it could work

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, og1874 said:

I don't think we're scheduled to play any U-15 ladies teams any time soon, so I can't see any of our likely fixtures where it could work

Home to Watford or Burnley when we will have 60% of the ball and Buendia could easily bully Westwood 😂

On 09/04/2022 at 06:39, Zatman said:

The Young situation is self inflicted since we loaned a perfectly capable left back whose team might finish ahead of us 

Right, so let's say we didn't sign Digne, kept Targett, and Targett got injured. Would we somehow not be in the exact same position?

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

Right, so let's say we didn't sign Digne, kept Targett, and Targett got injured. Would we somehow not be in the exact same position?

Yes. We didnt need to loan Targett out and brought in another left back as competition

Just now, Zatman said:

Yes. We didnt need to loan Targett out and brought in another left back as competition

But you've said elsewhere that we tinkered with a position that wasn't a problem. So any kind of left back related activity seems to be stupid by your logic. So again, if we had not done anything with the position, we would still be exactly where we are now.

Are you changing that up now to say that we DID need to bring in another left back? Just trying to figure out how far exactly you'll twist logic to hammer the manager, when there are plenty of actual logical issues that don't need linguistic gymnastics

15 minutes ago, og1874 said:

But you've said elsewhere that we tinkered with a position that wasn't a problem. So any kind of left back related activity seems to be stupid by your logic. So again, if we had not done anything with the position, we would still be exactly where we are now.

Are you changing that up now to say that we DID need to bring in another left back? Just trying to figure out how far exactly you'll twist logic to hammer the manager, when there are plenty of actual logical issues that don't need linguistic gymnastics

I said all along bring in Hickey

Signing Digne and paying his salary killed any chance of competition at left back 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â