Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

And what would make this side suddenly start winning again with the same personnel?

The other side forfeiting the game before it started and the ref awarding us the win because of that 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

Strikers couldn’t hit a barn door, might as well just play without and stick Bailey and Buendia on the wings.

If we were going with no strikers, I'd go:

----------------------Martinez-----------------------

Cash-------Konsa--------Mings------Young

---------------------------Luiz-------------------------

------Sanson-----Ramsey----McGinn------

-----------Buendia--------Coutinho------------

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've honestly raised this idea in the past

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

50 minutes ago, og1874 said:

I've honestly raised this idea in the past

Based on how our strikers are doing, it's certainly not the worst idea.

Our midfielders genuinely seem greater goal threats than them.

From the book of Pep.

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Digne out for the season possibly, losing every game badly, how about a flat back 4, Young in for Digne, but not wandering up the pitch, play Cash as a full back. Five in midfield, two holding helping the defence, Bailey and  Buendia out wide, and Watkins up front. Surely that would at least firm up the defence and make us more difficult to beat. You never know we might even grab a draw or two.

I always thought Digne was a dud signing 

Thank god we didnt have another capable left back to give away

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Replace Konsa with Chambers 

• Like 3

We as a team, not smith, bought Buendia and Bailey in the summer both played as wingers for their previous clubs and we appoint a manager who doesn’t play wingers.

I just don’t get how the club are happy to write of £60million pound that easily? 

they are being mismanaged and treated so poorly, feel like we could be heading back into the sherwood era with a divide between British and certain foreign players.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I just can't see why we aren't playing 4 3 3. The amount of chances we created in first half means Gerrard won't change it in two weeks time. 

The formation wasn't the issue yesterday. I think the shape with 2 up top rather than 2 10s is much better. 

Problem is the strikers are so out of form. 

Just now, Condimentalist said:

The formation wasn't the issue yesterday. I think the shape with 2 up top rather than 2 10s is much better. 

Agree two up top better than two 10s. But Watkins flanked by Coutinho and Bailey say is better

• High press and Coutinho will likely not work. Love they guy but that he can't do, he was spent after 50 mins yesterday.
  • Possession football with McGinn likely won't work.
  • Extremely attacking full backs without 2 sitting DCM's will likely not work.
  • Counter attacking football without pace and wide players likely won't work.
  • Building from the back without a CM that's comfortable with the ball won't work

Put it all together and we have some issues to sort out. Hope Gerrard and his staff are flexible and quick learners.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Exactly, you can’t blame the formation for the two strikers missing chance after chance.

35 minutes ago, sne said:
  • High press and Coutinho will likely not work. Love they guy but that he can't do, he was spent after 50 mins yesterday.
  • Building from the back without a CM that's comfortable with the ball won't work

Put it all together and we have some issues to sort out. Hope Gerrard and his staff are flexible and quick learners.

This is exactly it. We want the quick interplay between front three and Watkins isn't suited to that he's suited to direct football and playing with inside forwards beside him who can cut in if he runs the channels. He's also brilliant at pressing but we don't do that anymore because we focus on blocking passing and being compact in central areas. 

We then have a midfield that aren't good enough and the balance isn't there. We need a proper CDM and a shuffler beside him to go with a box to box like JJ or McGinn. 

The full backs getting forward further exposes the lack of defensive skills in the midfield. 

We also don't have the passing ability in CB and Midfield to build from the back to the level required. 

I think the Gerrard/Beale approach of building play through the midified with quick passing to create chances centrally is a fundamentally flawed one in this league with the resources available to a club like Villa. 

A problem made worse by the fact we have a squad built for counter attacking and with wide forwards who cut in. We refuse to play that way.

Just too many problems with the way we want to play and the players available. A savvy manager would play a system to best suit the players he has available and adapt the way we play with new signings and a full pre season.

Gerrard is been more naive than savvy so far at Villa. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Great Analysis and 100% correct

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villan501 said:

For me I accept villa will lose games but when we're losing Gerrard can't think talking " This is on me " every defeat is acceptable, when he backs failing performer's by keeping them in the side.

Come the summer he will get rid of players but most importantly the squad players will probably request a move therefore weakening us long term.

Bailey,traore,hause,sanson possibly beundia have been given absolutely zero opportunities without getting benched next game.

Aston villa will possibly have lost value on Bailey,Beundia Watkins and ings none of these mentioned have done anything to suggest a profit.

Come the summer Gerrard will know he's in a tough job because due to possible dismay from squad players not getting a chance and upgrades needed I'm not confident this will happen one bit.

As always us villa followers will continue to turn up but I'm prepared for a major storm arriving regarding transfers and how we look next season.

UTV

Bisouma and Gomez - well be flying mate !🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Shuddering to think of the Gomez fee )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I know you're a big SG fan.

But why do we' have to stay with him'  ? 

I don't know what or when the cut off point will be. But be in no doubt there is one. 

He also wanted to stay with Steve Bruce but not Smith 

Bizarre 🙄

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â