Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Tactics all you like but our passing is so so bad, and awful decision making constantly. We're so frustrating to watch. 

Watkins today, simple lay off ba k to a midfielder was so wide it almost went out of play losing all momentum in the move, within a couple of minutes in and advanced position had Cash? at the edge of the box free on goal and instead just bladdered it into a crowd of defenders. 

That 2 minute passage summed up our whole game and all players. 

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

To play the 2 tens formation at this level we need world class fullbacks. In Scotland it probably wasn't necessary but in our league I think it is. We don't have world class fullbacks...

Yep, and if you stop those full back you stop the attack anyway.

It's a stupid system.

Is it me or is the whole team just so unlikeable at the moment? I always think back to when we were in the championship when we had snodgrass etc and remember the connection with the fans was so different to what it is now. I’m not sure what it is or whose fault it is but that is completely gone 

28 minutes ago, grobs said:

Is it me or is the whole team just so unlikeable at the moment? I always think back to when we were in the championship when we had snodgrass etc and remember the connection with the fans was so different to what it is now. I’m not sure what it is or whose fault it is but that is completely gone 

I’m not sure I agree with this. I think we have some likeable players, we just don’t have a very balanced side and that means we’re losing football matches. 

We’re close to having a very good side. We just need two new defensive minded midfielders and a striker. I think we’ll see huge changes this Summer. 

4 hours ago, grobs said:

Nope its a very likeable team with a manager who hasnt a clue tactically. I think the players are frustrated with him 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nope its a very likeable team with a manager who hasnt a clue tactically. I think the players are frustrated with him 

I was under the impression that the tactics were mainly down to Beale and the other coaches, SG was more the face of the coaching team and motivator.  Anyway, this system is so inconsistent due to the players we have at the minute.  One game we look brilliant, then next game we completely fall apart. 

A good manager would be able to adapt the system to fit the players he has, not shoehorn players in who don't fit. I'd go 4231 or 433 next game and try and make use of some of the wingers we spent £100m on.

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The person you are replying to is right.

A new manager is supposed to improve the output of what he has got.

A modern thinking club is supposed to play a certain way in a certain formation as that is why players have been brought and in a time where you are signing the average player for 15/20 million quid and then paying them the average wage over 4 years of 12m that is a heck of a lot of money you are committing to.

You don't just go and change everything about how you play and go yea I need a whole load of new players.

So if we are supposed to play exactly how we used to play, and with the same players, what would be the point in changing a manager in the first place?

Just to have a new body about the place to do the same thing?

I get what you're trying to say, but it all comes back to the same circular argument.

We still basically play a variant and variants of a 4 - 3 - 3 template.

People just aren't happy, so will find any stick they can.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Our midfield, every week.

• McGinn.... £2.5 mill
  • Luiz...........£15 mill
  • Ramsey.....Academy

This is the engine room of our team.....we have to get serious with it.

15 hours ago, duke313 said:

I was under the impression that the tactics were mainly down to Beale and the other coaches, SG was more the face of the coaching team and motivator.  Anyway, this system is so inconsistent due to the players we have at the minute.  One game we look brilliant, then next game we completely fall apart. 

A good manager would be able to adapt the system to fit the players he has, not shoehorn players in who don't fit. I'd go 4231 or 433 next game and try and make use of some of the wingers we spent £100m on.

If you watched Palace tonight.....where do we get that kind of intensity and urgency they provided?....we are passive and flat.

its not the formation, its what the players do within it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So if we are supposed to play exactly how we used to play, and with the same players, what would be the point in changing a manager in the first place?

Just to have a new body about the place to do the same thing?

I get what you're trying to say, but it all comes back to the same circular argument.

We still basically play a variant and variants of a 4 - 3 - 3 template.

People just aren't happy, so will find any stick they can.

The same formation, perhaps different individual instructions.... The manager is free to choose who he sees fit, that may be different from the previous manager.
What's the point of changing the manager, different coaching techniques, better man management, more tactically astute as just some examples.

If we are calling this formation a 433 variant it's the most bastardised of all the possible examples.

The reality of almost all clubs situations is the most important member of staff is the DOF, managers should be interchangeable, this has changed due to the sheer amounts of money involved being insane. Danny Ings for example apparently signed for 25m plus 120k a week, that is 43m plus fees etc, add all the players together and it will easily be over half a billion.

This isn't a hate of Gerrard this is because he has deviated from the model, I would 100% have preferred Smith to have stayed over Gerrard with this formation wasting the talent and progress we have made.

15 hours ago, duke313 said:

The coaching looks to be crap, his motivation before a game starts looks to be crap.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Our midfield, every week.

• McGinn.... £2.5 mill
  • Luiz...........£15 mill
  • Ramsey.....Academy

This is the engine room of our team.....we have to get serious with it.

Ok and if we sold them it would probably raise 100m, I do completely agree we need a new midfield but it isn't the cost of them that is the problem.

All three of those are good players but it is a poor combo down to their individual talents.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The same formation, perhaps different individual instructions.... The manager is free to choose who he sees fit, that may be different from the previous manager.
What's the point of changing the manager, different coaching techniques, better man management, more tactically astute as just some examples.

If we are calling this formation a 433 variant it's the most bastardised of all the possible examples.

The reality of almost all clubs situations is the most important member of staff is the DOF, managers should be interchangeable, this has changed due to the sheer amounts of money involved being insane. Danny Ings for example apparently signed for 25m plus 120k a week, that is 43m plus fees etc, add all the players together and it will easily be over half a billion.

This isn't a hate of Gerrard this is because he has deviated from the model, I would 100% have preferred Smith to have stayed over Gerrard with this formation wasting the talent and progress we have made.

it doesn't matter what formation you choose....if the players do not put it in, the result won't come out.

Palace highlighted tonight playing 4-3-3 that its down to a motivated group willing to battle and deny the opposition the opportunity to play football.

I accept that right now, SG is unable to get any kind of aggression out of this team, they are passive and forlorn and filled with melancholy...perhaps he needs to phone Viera and ask him how he does it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Ok and if we sold them it would probably raise 100m, I do completely agree we need a new midfield but it isn't the cost of them that is the problem.

All three of those are good players but it is a poor combo down to their individual talents.

Not a chance....do you think other clubs are fools?

No its not, down to the cost alone, but it has a significant bearing.....you can't keep cheating the system, with cheap cuts.

Yes it is a poor combo, but who has created that? not SG, he has just been left with it and trying to find a way out.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not a chance....do you think other clubs are fools?

No its not, down to the cost alone, but it has a significant bearing.....you can't keep cheating the system, with cheap cuts.

Yes it is a poor combo, but who has created that? not SG, he has just been left with it and trying to find a way out.

The combo would be far better with a true DCM replacing McGinn or Ramsey.

as for no chance of the values Luis will easily sell for 20m Ramsey would be 40 plus McGinn is at least 35

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The combo would be far better with a true DCM replacing McGinn or Ramsey.

as for no chance of the values Luis will easily sell for 20m Ramsey would be 40 plus McGinn is at least 35

I hope it stays fine for us.

Having watched the arsenal game from high up in the holte end and the tactics of two number 10’s really shocked me by how restrictive it is. We played the ball out short to konsa and mings and if they didn’t play long and give the ball away they end up at the two full backs. Our midfield are a liability when we play inside and you could see cash especially reluctant to play that ball. Buendia was playing narrow anyway but it looked like he had been told do not go wide because there were times he could of dropped into a hole on the touch line and cash had a little ball down the line which he was clearly looking for but instead buendia went even narrower inside to what was an already over packed midfield and we play into traffic lose the ball. That happened so many times it felt like it had to be an instruction. 

i would have thought with a player like coutunhio in your team you would want to give him a bit of space to operate in so over crowding his key areas would be a thing to avoid. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Feels like he is marking time now till he can buy replacement players in the summer.

Interesting times. Something has to change. Some of these players have been patchy under different managers and systems. Gerrard's point is top teams dont get to be patchy, which is fair.

Gonna be an interesting summer. I am excited.

All teams except maybe Liverpool and Man C are patchy. But Villa obviously more than most.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â