Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Well Lange is in charge of recruitment, and if has spent millions on rubbish players he should be sacked like Pitarch was before him.

But what rubbish players have we signed?

Watkins is a smith buy, cash is a smith buy and wasnt luiz before lange came? (Im highlighting this three as they are most under achieving)

Are we saying ash young, buendia,  digne, coutinho, bailey,  ings and chambers are rubbish players? If those signings are sackable offences  then i think most of thw pl should be aacking their ceos and sporting directors 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Watkins is a smith buy, cash is a smith buy and wasnt luiz before lange came? (Im highlighting this three as they are most under achieving)

Are we saying ash young, buendia,  digne, coutinho, bailey,  ings and chambers are rubbish players? If those signings are sackable offences  then i think most of thw pl should be aacking their ceos and sporting directors 

None so far, generally they have all been good.  But the buck ultimately lands with Lange in regards to player recruitment, if we don't eventually push on his recruitment policy will have been a failure. 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ings was a Purslow ego signing as he didnt want to feel City got one over on him. He hasn't been shit but bought for the wrong system so so far a poor signing. 

Buendia was obviously a Smith signing if Cash counts as one

And if these players are not rubbish signings and we are underperforming then maybe the manager has to take the blame

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Lots of teams would still want them, but with how we've been using them, I imagine their value has plummeted since the start of the season, I'd be surprised if we made our money back if we wanted to move either of them on in the summer.

Watkins has international caps now compared to when we brought him in. 40m all day and arsenhole would pay it. Ings I think we'd get 20m for still. Chris Woods is half the player and gone for 20m.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not the system thats effecting ollie though. Its poor form,  very poor form. Its down to wtakins to pick himself up and improve as hw has been absymal most of the season.

I dont thinkw e will cash on mings not a chance. I dont think mcginn will be sold either as gerrard values him highly.

Yes.

I think a major rebuild wouldn't be in anyones best interests. We need a DM and maybe another striker - If Archer continues his current form maybe he will be an option.

Would it be worth exploring two strikers again?  I know most here believe Ings and Watkins can't play together, but Ings always played with a partner at Southampton and was quite prolific there. 

It would mean dropping either Coutinho or Buendia, so i'd only recommend it if one isn't fit to start, but a 4-3-1-2 would allow us to play both with one dropping deep to fill the hole left by either Coutinho/Buendia.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Does that by the end of the season include the manager. If we're sliding backwards sticking with him might not be a great idea if he's going to rip up a squad that has broadly been successful in taking this club forwards? 

A way to look at it would be if we put all of our first team squad up for sale, who would sign them?

Emi, Coutinho, Digne, maybe Buendia - they're the only ones you'd be very confident would go to a top side.  The others would be teams around us or below us.

Yes, the squad has taken us forward, but it's also reached a plateau. Even Guardiola isn't going to make Cash's crossing 80% more accurate, or get Watkins to beat a man. We've got good players who can still do a job for us (including Cash and Watkins) but overall we need new ideas and new players if we're to get where we want to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

A way to look at it would be if we put all of our first team squad up for sale, who would sign them?

Emi, Coutinho, Digne, maybe Buendia - they're the only ones you'd be very confident would go to a top side.  The others would be teams around us or below us.

Yes, the squad has taken us forward, but it's also reached a plateau. Even Guardiola isn't going to make Cash's crossing 80% more accurate, or get Watkins to beat a man. We've got good players who can still do a job for us (including Cash and Watkins) but overall we need new ideas and new players if we're to get where we want to be.

Well McGinn is linked with United, Douglas Luiz to Arsenal, Cash to Atletico and Ramsey is 'being monitored' by Real Madrid.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Would it be worth exploring two strikers again?  I know most here believe Ings and Watkins can't play together, but Ings always played with a partner at Southampton and was quite prolific there. 

It would mean dropping either Coutinho or Buendia, so i'd only recommend it if one isn't fit to start, but a 4-3-1-2 would allow us to play both with one dropping deep to fill the hole left by either Coutinho/Buendia.

That doesn't make much sense. Watkins is just playing badly. He's not the answer to anything he's the problem. Coutinho and Buendia are playing well. Neither should be dropped

Both Watkins and Ings seems out of form so even having one of them in the team is a minus at this point. Certainly would not remove a midfielder to make room for both of them.

The players brought in in January was brought in to fit this system that we are playing now and that Gerrard used at Ranger. It's not working currently but I expect us to stick with it and hope we figure it out.

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

We aren't going to get much above half way with the current group of players imo. But IMO that doesn't mean that alot of the players we currently have don't have a role to play.

Im sure Stevie G brief when he joined us wasn't to sell 5 or 6 first team regulars - and spend £200m on replacements. Sure he needs some of his own guys in - he already has 3 ! - But I get the feeling that Come August 22 are starting 11 will have a lot of familiar faces in it. 

The odd extra face can have a big effect on the team and result in some of the rest of the squad finding their true potential. We often see players join a team and have a transformative effect on the players around them. Equally players can move and flop becoming half the player they were with different players around them. It’s finding the right combination that sometimes just clicks. 

I’ve no idea who that player or players might be. Hopefully those at the club that decide these things do. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Just sack 'em and sell 'em all. Club too. Training ground. Bibs. The surplus hot dog buns. All of it. 

Think of how much fun it'll be shitting on all the new things we'll have to buy and writing them off as soon as possible!

One of the funniest things I’ve read on this board.

Â