Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think its all on the manager, i think alot of it is the players. I dont think alot of them are capabale of playing the way gerrard wants to play.  This is the major problem.

Gerrards probably gonna have to tweak the way we play until end of season and then get rid of the ones who are failing miserably in this system.

Luiz, mcginn cash Watkins for me are the main four culrpits of this. 

Also i do think some of the players just cant be asked and are not trying.

Thats the manager fault then. A good manager adapts his tactics to hos players, gets results and scrapes performances until the end of the season then changes system later

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

Thats the manager fault then. A good manager adapts his tactics to hos players, gets results and scrapes performances until the end of the season then changes system later

How do you know a formation or style of play will work unless you try it? Its like when smith tried 5 at the back and it was terrible. You dont know unless you try.

These are good players they should be able to adapt. How can possessions, pressing football in england not work in this league.  Alot of clubs play this way.

I think the biggest issue as to why its mot working is a combination of some players not pulling their weight (watkins and mcginn) and the fact we are desperately lacking a strong dm.

14 minutes ago, Dale said:

As many have said this tactical set up is setting us up for failure. 

If his choice is to swap out players to make it work, it will not work. Unless you're absolutely in charge the gaps are too big both on wings and through the middle. Any team with a rapid transition will find huge spaces to exploit.

It doesnt necessarily mean it wont work if you change some of the personnel. This systen is working for the likes of couts digne and buendia. I think it will suit ings too once ollies dropped.

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Your seriously telling me buendia and coutinho are not playing well??

They've been part of Villa's awful last three performances.

Point being the system is the problem more than Coutinho, Buendia, Luiz or any other player.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

He played 3 or4 games under Gerrard, not great ratio

If Gerrard depends so much on Nakamba then we are **** 

It's not necessarily " depending on Nakamba " I'm getting on. It's comes back around to the importance of having someone for that role, as he was the absolute best at it, in our squad, in his purple patch.

So especially in tough games, it relieves the pressure a little bit.

Although, I do remember Nakamba alluding to the fact that when the team plays better, he plays better, which makes sense.

Almost like he was trying to say " When the whole team are playing shite how do you expect me to perform? ' 😂

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They've been part of Villa's awful last three performances.

Point being the system is the problem more than Coutinho, Buendia, Luiz or any other player.

I cant disgaree more buendia and coutinho have been generally excellent barring the newcastle game where most of the team were absolutely dreadful. 

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I find this situation a bit ridiculous. We should be recruiting managers who play a similar style, so we don't need to keep overhauling the whole squad every time we appoint a new one. If it is genuinely a mismatch in ability and tactics the blame should last at Purslow's door exclusively. 

Then we may as well never sack a manager then if its more of the same. Might as well have just kept smith.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I find this situation a bit ridiculous. We should be recruiting managers who play a similar style, so we don't need to keep overhauling the whole squad every time we appoint a new one. If it is genuinely a mismatch in ability and tactics the blame should last at Purslow's door exclusively. 

Exactly.

That's why there is so much riding on Stevie G coming good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Then we may as well never sack a manager then if its more of the same. Might as well have just kept smith.

Now you are just being facetious.There are many reasons why you would make a like-for-like change. For example, managers lose their tactical identity or players stop responding to their motivation techniques. Sometimes you bring a manager in who is similar, but has a few minor differences, which will facilitate an evolution in style. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's not necessarily " depending on Nakamba " I'm getting on. It's comes back around to the importance of having someone for that role, as he was the absolute best at it, in our squad, in his purple patch.

So especially in tough games, it relieves the pressure a little bit.

Although, I do remember Nakamba alluding to the fact that when the team plays better, he plays better, which makes sense.

Almost like he was trying to say " When the whole team are playing shite how do you expect me to perform? ' 😂

I agree with this. Having someone who is good defensively in the midfield, allows our attacking players to push further up the pitch and put pressure on the opposition, by overloading and creating chances. Having Luiz there means the likes of McGinn and Ramsey have to keep an eye on what he is doing in case he can't cope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant disgaree more buendia and coutinho have been generally excellent barring the newcastle game where most of the team were absolutely dreadful. 

Fair enough.

If you put Messi into the team and he played well, I'd still say the system is a problem.

Personally I think we could with some more width, which is kind of against what SG appears to want.  For Saturday I would like Bailey and Coutinho to be played right and left, and drop either Luiz or McGinn. Have Buendia as the floater and give Ings a game.  And Hause to  cover Kona. Its a bit lightweight but lets give it a go.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Well Traore and Bailey have hardly been fit 

true. but it's a fair question as to how they fit into this side. coutinho and buendia are basically undroppable

play bailey or traore as a striker?

Just now, tomav84 said:

true. but it's a fair question as to how they fit into this side. coutinho and buendia are basically undroppable

play bailey or traore as a striker?

It was always the problem when we signed Coutinho, where does Buendia fit in. I'm sure Gerrard wouldnt hesitate at dropping Buendia even if us fans dont like it. Unless he drops Ramsey. 

31 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The thing is, even if Gerrard wanted to replace the whole team he can’t really afford to wait until next season to improve. For him to have a chance of attracting players, he must be able to at least show signs of improvement soon.

Otherwise, media will begin to talk about Villa’s expensive failure and Gerrard being a flop, leading to difficult recruitment in summer.

When I questioned bringing in a player like Coutinho in January with the chances of Europe more or less already gone, some explained it with Gerrard wanting a strong finish to the season exactly to create buzz and make recruiting easier.

Coutinho was an opportunity signing and we was right to go for it.....but paradoxically, its not what we are crying out for.....Phillipe Coutinho will not fix our soft centre.....He is an obvious up grade and an opportunity not to be missed, but we need players to help us control things.

Dean was the same, signing Traore, Bailey, Sanson, ....all technically gifted players....but it didn't address the underlying issues of our team.

We have players in our squad, others can only dream of......but with their journeymen,opposition,  they are giving us a hard time.

What we need will not necessarily cost huge bucks, but we have to have the Nous, to spot what is required.......Messi, Mbappe, Neymar, and the type, will not fix our inherent problems.

as an example, We sign Chambers......West Ham sign Dawson........We sign Traore, West Ham sign Bowen.....my point is, they sign Robust, rugged players who can mix it up.......Ours are just lightweight, show ponies.

We have to get some players in who can play obviously, but can equallly roll their sleeves up and Lead.

Chambers was another opportunity,signing like Danny Ings.....when are we going to sign players we actually need and will enhance the squad, for the things we are struggling with?

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It was always the problem when we signed Coutinho, where does Buendia fit in. I'm sure Gerrard wouldnt hesitate at dropping Buendia even if us fans dont like it. Unless he drops Ramsey. 

Buendia will play, it’s him and Coutinho who are first choice. Bailey and Traore look like they may end up outside.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â