Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

nail on the head! It was a problem under Smith and is still a  problem under Gerrard

because systems, won't always change a players attributes..i.e if he has a poor touch, he will probably have one in every system you can muster.

• Like 2

Sometimes, I genuinely think we'd be better off as a long ball team. Or a variation of that. You'd argue our best two players are our number 10's but we don't get them into the game enough. If we could get the ball further up the pitch quicker, win a knock down or win a ball into the channel, we'd surely be more dangerous? 

Maybe, maybe not, but playing out from the back does not suit us and we are causing ourselves a lot of problems. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Sometimes, I genuinely think we'd be better off as a long ball team. Or a variation of that. You'd argue our best two players are our number 10's but we don't get them into the game enough. If we could get the ball further up the pitch quicker, win a knock down or win a ball into the channel, we'd surely be more dangerous? 

Maybe, maybe not, but playing out from the back does not suit us and we are causing ourselves a lot of problems. 

The main problem, lies in Midfield....and we can dress it up as much as we like, but that's where it lies.

• Thanks 1

We seem to be poor at passing,

we give up possession too easily,

Our second ball is poor,

We are too easy to tackle,

We "telegraph" the majority of our passes

We seem lightweight

We lack "grit"

We have poor set pieces

We are predictable

All opposition teams know this and will exploit it.....slightly concerned that Watford will hurt us...

VTID

Del

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don't have the players up front for that either, would need a tall physical striker to win the ball in the air.

Just now, TRO said:

The main problem, lies in Midfield....and we can dress it up as much as we like, but that's where it lies.

I agree and that's my point. Our midfielders aren't comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and playing through the lines. It might be time, if we continue playing this system, to play someone like Coutinho a little deeper. Chukwuemeka could be that player too. 
Right now, it isn't working and that's mainly because Luiz and McGinn aren't good enough at what they're being asked to do by Gerrard.

Now, if you want to stick to this system, fine, but we will continue to lose games because of it unless you change the personnel. So, he either changes the personnel - Sanson, Irroegbunam, Coutinho a little deeper, Chukwuemeka etc. or we play a different formation/system. 

FWIW, I don't think we've been great in the games we have won. I was at the Palace game and they were the better side. Everton dominated us for large periods and we could have been 5 nil down against Leicester in the first half. 

There are positives under Gerrard, but we don't have the personnel to play the way he wants. In the Summer, we'll need at least two new central midfielders and probably a centre half just to get us primed for the way he wants to play. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes true but we need the right target man for that and nothing sticks with Watkins. Davis would have been better suited to that type of football

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree and that's my point. Our midfielders aren't comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas and playing through the lines. It might be time, if we continue playing this system, to play someone like Coutinho a little deeper. Chukwuemeka could be that player too. 
Right now, it isn't working and that's mainly because Luiz and McGinn aren't good enough at what they're being asked to do by Gerrard.

Now, if you want to stick to this system, fine, but we will continue to lose games because of it unless you change the personnel. So, he either changes the personnel - Sanson, Irroegbunam, Coutinho a little deeper, Chukwuemeka etc. or we play a different formation/system. 

FWIW, I don't think we've been great in the games we have won. I was at the Palace game and they were the better side. Everton dominated us for large periods and we could have been 5 nil down against Leicester in the first half. 

There are positives under Gerrard, but we don't have the personnel to play the way he wants. In the Summer, we'll need at least two new central midfielders and probably a centre half just to get us primed for the way he wants to play. 

and even, asked to do by Smith.....you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

They are not defensive minded players.....and yet still we persist is asking them to play holding roles.

due to the squad make up.....I'm not sure, what the alternative is.

Was Sanson and Traore, appropriate signings, in light of our squad make up?

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don't have the players up front for that either, would need a tall physical striker to win the ball in the air.

Weghorst?.....missed that boat.

Just now, TRO said:

and even, asked to do by Smith.....you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

They are not defensive minded players.....and yet still we persist is asking them to play holding roles.

due to the squad make up.....I'm not sure, what the alternative is.

Was Sanson and Traore, appropriate signings, in light of our squad make up?

Probably not. We need two deep lying midfielders. Whether you want to call them defensive midfielders or not, they just need to be able to sit in front of the defence and be comfortable on the ball. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree.....but I am just grateful for the points.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is Konsa still suspended for Watford?  I'd like to see Chambers play in DM, so he can move into a back 3 when defending, and into midfield when in possession.

That's what I would have tried.

I would have tried it against Newcastle, with Hause, coming in for Konsa.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

but if you have a team full of internationals, who are all attack minded and not defensive minded.....It kinda negates the issue.

its all right having internationals, but we need balance and we are short of it.

Come on mate - these aren't bad players. At they moment they are quite literally bumping into each other.

They can be better than what they are currently showing surely.???

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably not. We need two deep lying midfielders. Whether you want to call them defensive midfielders or not, they just need to be able to sit in front of the defence and be comfortable on the ball. 

We can call them what we like....they just need to do a midfield job that's not being done sufficiently.

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well to be more direct we need wide forwards to run the channels. When we play with two narrow 10s we need to work the ball to them from CBs and midfield. It's that part which we cannot execute due to the personnel we have at present. 

I do think there is a case to be made for Gerrard to accept what he's got and revert to a 4 2 3 1 and have Cash a bit more reserved but allow Digne to get forward more. This means Coutinho to cut in off the left more often but Buendia/Bailey giving us some width on the right. That is a pragmatic solution for the present

1 minute ago, TRO said:

That's what I would have tried.

I would have tried it against Newcastle, with Hause, coming in for Konsa.

3 at the back would help with the full backs going forward, the left and right sided defenders can help cover those positions.  The middle defender can be a sort of hybrid role with Chambers comfortable in defense and DM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Come on mate - these aren't bad players. At they moment they are quite literally bumping into each other.

They can be better than what they are currently showing surely.???

I'm not disputing that, but we can only watch the game and report on what we see Hippo....just like we did against Leeds.

I think, we are all trying to find answers of why we are so darn ****

Â