Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Camp Hill Flyover - never felt quite right driving over this.

Birmingham-Bus-Photo-WMT-2758-84-MCW.jpg

My bus home always went over that. It was pretty terrifying, especially on the top deck, what a mental thing it was. 

Apparently it was built by the army in just 48 hours and only meant to last a couple of years but ended up staying for 30 years.  I'm amazed that nothing ever fell off it in that time. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My bus home always went over that. It was pretty terrifying, especially on the top deck, what a mental thing it was. 

Awww man, as a kid I absolutely LOVED going over that on the top deck of a bus!

It was only as an adult that I developed a hatred of rollercoasters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Camp Hill Flyover - never felt quite right driving over this.

Birmingham-Bus-Photo-WMT-2758-84-MCW.jpg

Used to cross underneath that thing 1968-72 ... Get off the 50 at Bradford St cut through and go underneath the overpass, take my life in my hands to cross the Coventry Road and catch the 54 to school in Bordesley Green

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Anyone remember Old Square looking like this? I certainly do

Old-square.jpg

Used to walk through there with my Dad when we were going to Harry Parkes. Usually to get the new Villa shirt! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

There were 2 official meeting places when I was a kid.  Outside McDonalds on the ramp or outside The Odeon on New Street. 

Back of Rackhams :) 

• Haha 3

Grand opening of Hamley's Toy Store, Bull Street in 1985, I vaguely remember it, but must have shut within a couple of years?

JS101135334.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Grand opening of Hamley's Toy Store, Bull Street in 1985, I vaguely remember it, but must have shut within a couple of years?

JS101135334.jpg

Yes, I remember that place, only lasted a couple of years as you say.  In completely the wrong part of town though, never fails to amaze me that companies shops and bars continually open up in completely unsuitable places. 

That bar I mentioned earlier where I was yelling at the queue springs to mind.  It was Raphaels when it first opened, then was closed for years and years, then Chameleon, then Kongs which is also now closed (before Covid). 

Any bar that opens there is doomed to failure because its so isolated. But yiu can bet someone will give it a go in a year or 2 and it will fail within 2 years again. 

It's like they just look at the rent and pay zero attention to the neighbourhood. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I'd left for Liverpool by then but do remember it happening. Hamley's the world famous toy store were planning an expansion across the country and Birmingham was first (and only I think) and bought that last unit at the top of Bull Street with an entrance on the Burlington Arcade. I'm now trying to remember the name of the shop it replaced. It was a department store but nothing on the scale of Rackhams and Lewis's. I do remember it had a good toy department on the top floor though. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd left for Liverpool by then but do remember it happening. Hamley's the world famous toy store were planning an expansion across the country and Birmingham was first (and only I think) and bought that last unit at the top of Bull Street with an entrance on the Burlington Arcade. I'm now trying to remember the name of the shop it replaced. It was a department store but nothing on the scale of Rackhams and Lewis's. I do remember it had a good toy department on the top floor though. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called though

Grays? 

• Like 1

One of my absolute favourite places to go as a kid was this place... The old Science Museum with the Coronation Class City of Birmingham in it. It was full of wonderous machines you could operate at the press of a button. I'd spend the whole day in there if I could

g47dk4v15fo11.jpg

• Like 4

There used to be a good toyshop not far from there - St. Phillips/Colmore Row - next to the Kardomah? Can't remember the name of it. But it was like the promised land when I was a kid. 

Just now, bickster said:

One of my absolute favourite places to go as a kid was this place... The old Science Museum with the Coronation Class City of Birmingham in it. It was full of wonderous machines you could operate at the press of a button. I'd spend the whole day in there if I could

g47dk4v15fo11.jpg

Hell yeah, me too. The primitive draughts computer you could play against. The cases full of old west revolvers. And an actual bloody Spitfire and Hurricane, that you could almost, but not quite, get into. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

There was a Hamley's toy shop on the Isle of Man as well, it was about the size of your average corner shop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

This photo whilst obviously a different era confirms it was Greys, that is definitely the building and it lead down to the underpass with the train murals

Old-Birmingham-shops-41.jpg

If I was still a smoker I would stay well away from Dag Cigarettes. 

• Haha 1

Â