Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

23 minutes ago, paul514 said:

A lot of people thought Utd got him cheap I’d be surprised if he left for a lot less than they paid for him.

I'll admit £ 35 million isn't super expensive in this market, and I probably even thought Ajax would ask for more, but this is what Man Utd tends to do. He's another Rojo, Depay, Blind, ADM, Mihktaryan, Sanchez. They've done great at buying these players and having them fail there.

I'm not saying VDB is a bad footballer, but offering to take him off their hands for the money they paid, at the wages they offered, when he's been a complete disappointment...hah no. You have to be a moron at business to do that.

But what's that expression you got? A fool and his money is easily parted?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How do we know he’s in the form of his life?  Maybe this is just normal for him.  

He played like this for Arsenal for significant time when Leno went down in the league, European games and winning the FA Cup and for 2/3rds of this season for us.

No idea why he wasn’t picked up before that, why he didn’t play as many games on loan for lower teams or how he performed.  

Anyway my point is that for over a season now, across two seasons, for two teams, his form has been the same which is a long time....at what point does form become just normal, just his quality now he’s an established keeper?  This looks longer than form.

What would he be worth? £80m?

Would you take Henderson plus £50m for Martinez??

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I’d totally take him and 50 million that would be a great deal, keepers like defenders don’t go for crazy fees.

45 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not a seller, I want and hope the owners want to not be a selling club of our best players.  I know every player has a value even to the biggest clubs but for me we have two genuine stars at the moment in Emi and Jack, and I want to build around that not sell either. 

Even the second level like Mings, Konsa and Ollie I dont want to go at any price but again everybody has a price but I want to keep these players and add more quality to them. 

Quality, fitting into a team, fitting in a system, an environment is such a combination of elements that can go wrong that I dont want to risk it.  People shout out names of who we could get to replace at a much smaller value so we have more funds for new players but for every Maguire that is sold by Leicester for £80m and replaced by Soyuncu for £18m and Forfana for £36.5m, there are many that are failures like when Chelsea brought the free scoring, wonderful striker Torres from Liverpool who utterly failed at Chelsea.  Our Benteke to Liverpool went from a Beast with us to a poor version of himself there.  We did well when we sold Yorkie and brought in Merse and Dublin but many teams have sold a player for vasts amounts and squandered the money on potential players that dont work out.

So in answer to your question no I wouldnt sell, the amount of points Emi has got us this season, he's worth his weight in gold.  Obviously if Emi forced a move then of course I would consider £50m plus Henderson from Man Utd.  To be honest I havent thought about Emi's value in the current climate and I'm not sure I know what a premium would be for a goalkeeper. 

Also dont know what our FFP position is and what we could do with that £50m for other positions, it would certainly be a great amount of money to buy somebody else and Henderson is a great keeper.

I think in an ideal world I wouldnt let him go but it depends on so many factors.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We did well when we sold Yorkie and brought in Merse and Dublin but many teams have sold a player for vasts amounts and squandered the money on potential players that dont work out.

Erik Lamela is the last of Tottenham's seven signings from the Gareth Bale  money in 2013 | Daily Mail Online

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why are we discussing selling our best players again?

From what im reading its apparently how we will improve by selling the best players 🙄

Its like nobody has followed what happened at Southampton, probably a title winning team they let go and now consistently hovering above the relegation zone 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From what im reading its apparently how we will improve by selling the best players 🙄

Its like nobody has followed what happened at Southampton, probably a title winning team they let go and now consistently hovering above the relegation zone 

Look, I'm all for selling a Coutinho that doesn't really fit into an insanely intense pressing system because his little lungs don't let him for 120 million, adding 30 million to that and buying the world class CB and GK to transform a decent team in to a title winning team. But, let's not start doing that until we are in a place to sell a 'star' without it completely f***ing up the rest of the team.

42 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

That's what Villa fans seem to enjoy. The club and this board has turned into some kind of Brentford light.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Players have their prices and unless you are right at the top of world football and rich to boot this IS how you generally move up the table. Selling and buying wisely.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Er when did Southampton nearly win the league and we are selling Emi?

WTF, this thread is nuts!

lucious lyon wtf GIF

They didnt but had a team of players if kept them together could have. Think was 9 ex players and managers involved in the Champions League final in 2019

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They didnt but had a team of players if kept them together could have. Think was 9 ex players and managers involved in the Champions League final in 2019

They probably brought some with the proceeds of other😂

Didn't they used to have problems with debts too?

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

They probably brought some with the proceeds of other😂

Didn't they used to have problems with debts too?

Yes, but they were managed by Harry Redknapp. That usually leads to crippling debts and threat of administration.

11 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yes, but they were managed by Harry Redknapp. That usually leads to crippling debts and threat of administration.

Managers don’t control money they spend what they are allowed to spend.

52 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Probably because this is a discussion forum and that's what people do on discussion forums.

No-one is saying we should sell our best players.  I was merely asking whether, if Utd came in with a big bid (Allison, Kepa etc. have been at the level discussed and Oblak is often touted at considerably more and, if they can pay £80m for Maguire they can defo pay that for Emi), would we consider it if it was sufficiently big and we got Henderson - a very good and younger keeper.

I am not saying we should but our model was supposedly buying players with a high ceiling, developing and potentially selling on and replacing.  Within the parameters of FFP this can lift a team up the table as Leicester have shown.

I would, for example, sell Mings if the right offer came in (i.e. £60m +) - he is 28 and does suffer brain freezes/get drawn into conflicts/wound up - if we could invest in a strong younger player and have money left over.  I also think Mings is the weakest link in our back 5 and that we didn't necessarily look any weaker when Hause replaced him earlier in the season.  

I would not, however, sell Jack.  Nor would I look to follow this strategy if Jack didn't buy into it and see the development opportunity/benefit.

Leicester have made this work well.  Arguably selling established players - Chilwell and Maguire - that they, presumably, believe have reached their ceiling and re-investing.

I get that some people will not like this but we are not Real Madrid and every club below them in the pyramid potentially has to sell players at some point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thabucks said:

Is Kempf Engels 4th choice good or rival for konsa good ? Heard is could be on the brink of a call up to the Germany squad ... Hopefully something in these links 

He's a lot better than Engels. Plays in a back 3 at Stuttgart.....He'd be good competition for both of our first-choice CBs I would say

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Managers don’t control money they spend what they are allowed to spend.

Seems Harry always found quite naive owners then that just let him spend what he wanted, apart from Levy that is.

35 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Probably because this is a discussion forum and that's what people do on discussion forums.

No-one is saying we should sell our best players.  I was merely asking whether, if Utd came in with a big bid (Allison, Kepa etc. have been at the level discussed and Oblak is often touted at considerably more and, if they can pay £80m for Maguire they can defo pay that for Emi), would we consider it if it was sufficiently big and we got Henderson - a very good and younger keeper.

I am not saying we should but our model was supposedly buying players with a high ceiling, developing and potentially selling on and replacing.  Within the parameters of FFP this can lift a team up the table as Leicester have shown.

I would, for example, sell Mings if the right offer came in (i.e. £60m +) - he is 28 and does suffer brain freezes/get drawn into conflicts/wound up - if we could invest in a strong younger player and have money left over.  I also think Mings is the weakest link in our back 5 and that we didn't necessarily look any weaker when Hause replaced him earlier in the season.  

I would not, however, sell Jack.  Nor would I look to follow this strategy if Jack didn't buy into it and see the development opportunity/benefit.

Leicester have made this work well.  Arguably selling established players - Chilwell and Maguire - that they, presumably, believe have reached their ceiling and re-investing.

I get that some people will not like this but we are not Real Madrid and every club below them in the pyramid potentially has to sell players at some point.

To be fair Leicester are way ahead of us in terms of development and I would argue they didn't start selling some of their best players until they were well established in this league. In fact, they probably didn't start until they had won the league, were playing in Europe and could potentially attract better than what they were selling.

We need to build the quality in our squad before we start to move our best players on otherwise we'll dick around in mid-table forever before we have a bad season and slip into relegation as with all perennial mid-table teams. We sell Mings now and we won't attract another CB who starts for one of the top 5 international sides in the world. How you can say that Mings is the weak link in the back 5 when the others haven't got one international cap to share between them baffles me. Although that's a bit harsh on Martinez as Argentina is just a shitshow of a national team. He should maybe have one or two.

We should be clever enough to move the players on that have reached their ceilings, however, I don't think that we are in a place yet to do that nor do I think that any of our players have reached their ceilings.